Thread: Lower Receiver-Need Help

Feedback Score

Lower Receiver-Need Help

First off, this is my first post on the site. Second, I've customized a black rifle before, and I may be getting in over my head, so please warn me I'm going to mess up. I've been trying to mentally put together a very nice AR from the ground up. So far, most major pieces would be from different manufacturers. The list so far is...

Barrel -Centurion Arms - MK12 Barrel (good luck from what I understand)
    Rails-Daniel Defense - M4A1 RIS II or may a different DD rail
    Trigger-Geissele - SSA
    Stock-Magpul - Utility/Battle Rifle
    Upper and BCG- Fail Zero AR-15 Extreme Duty Kit
    Other items-here and there

The big question is the lower. Everyone talks about this barrel, and that stock, but the lower doesn't seem to get much attention (as much as the parts inside). With all the parts on my wish list so far, I would hate to get something that would make an experienced AR builder wet his pants from laughing. It would be like putting a $1000 saddle on $100 horse. So, what would you guys suggest? I already have a stock and grip picked out, so would getting a stripped lower be a smarter move? Then again, I'm almost building an AR from stratch, and buying each part individually doesn't appear to be very cost efficient. Any ideas? What might you add or change to make it better?

Also, has anyone ever messed with the Fail Zero products? I saw them at the NRA annual meeting this year and thought it would really help make this rifle.
    Last edited by Awb2008; 06-14-10 at 12:02.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I recently added a DD lower to my build and couldn't be happier. One of the nicest lowers I've seen, has a magwell that is slightly more flared than standard, perfect specs, it's a very good price, and it is daniel defense. Here's a link. http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...rchResult.html

Here is my build with this lower on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/R0GUEKN1.../0/_dyky83ktZ4

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply rav3n. I will certainly consider your suggestion on the lower. I recently came across a dealer that seems to offer all the parts I need to complete the lower.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/616.php

Though this packge offers a different stock and handle than what I wanted, they sell the ones I want and are willing to trade out for the ones I want (making up the difference of course).

Anyone have any comments or suggestions for my build? Was kind of hoping for some feedback before I took off on the wrong foot with my first build.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Awb2008 View Post
    Thanks for your reply rav3n. I will certainly consider your suggestion on the lower. I recently came across a dealer that seems to offer all the parts I need to complete the lower.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/616.php

Though this packge offers a different stock and handle than what I wanted, they sell the ones I want and are willing to trade out for the ones I want (making up the difference of course).

Anyone have any comments or suggestions for my build? Was kind of hoping for some feedback before I took off on the wrong foot with my first build.
    That looks like a nice package deal with the SSA trigger and DD parts lit. The UBR stock includes it's own buffer tube so be sure that is accounted for with the parts swap.

I have not used a DD parts kit, but have one on the way for a spare DD lower I have. Between the DD and Noveske lowers I currently have in use I like the Noveske better (and it's a blem). Either should work fine, however.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reminder about the buffer tube. I had read about that, but let it slip my mind. About the Noveske, people seem to compliment them overall. I was wondering what specificily made you like it better? Also, must be my inexperience, but what did you mean by blem? Blemished?

Also, with all the mixing and matching of part I am doing from different manufacturers, does anyone see me running into any problems? I've always thought of AR's as the Lego's of firearms, but sometimes not everybody's parts fit together nicely.

Feedback Score
    Description of the blemished Noveske sold on the Rainier site:
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1462

The Noveske lower has closer tolerances in the pivot pin and take down pin areas (meaning less upper to lower wobble), especially when mounted to the Noveske upper. Both the fit and finish is outstanding, despite the factory seconds rating.

The upper to lower fit on the DD parts are in spec and certainly not an issue on a carbine. For an SPR/precision type rifle *my personal* preference would lean to the more snug side.

I proved in my own testing when building FALs that excessive upper/lower receiver play has an effect on accuracy - including when an optic is mounted on the FAL upper receiver. Whether or not this comes into play in a similar fashion on an AR is unknown to me - but that's where my bias comes from.

FWIW, my stripped Noveske blemished lower was free - part a special deal they once had with the purchase of a complete Noveske rifle or complete upper.

Good luck with your build - just get it done and don't go crazy over-thinking the small stuff.