Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting interview

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In a way, Stache also makes a good case for tritium in the front sight only, in regards to the ongoing thread in this sub-forum.
    Hang up and drive.

Luke 22:35-38

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Thumbs up

Great interview! Thanks for the link.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    the end was great.. good man.

don't buy some of his conclusions... but i'm not the one who's survived 14 gunfights.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I also have some disagreements with some of the things said int he interview...but we have to remember that he's speaking from his perspective and experience. The overwhelming majority of the fights he has been in happened at distances of a few feet in a time period that could be measured in quarters of a second. That's the reality of life on the street. I was just in class with a couple of officers from a tactical team in a large metropolitan area who were asked about their typical engagement distance with their issued AR carbines. Their response?

"Inside of a room."

They practice for much longer shots with precision, but in reality if they pull the trigger in a real situation it's likely to be at a distance they can measure in feet. To quote Ken Hackathorn from a lecture on how gunfights typically go on the streets of the USA, "Ten yards is really long range for a gunfight."

While I would certainly argue that the ability to place precisely accurate fire at 25 yards should be consciously developed by anyone who carries a pistol, I would also heartily endorse this officer's practice of developing the ability to make close range head shots (even one handed) on demand. That could prove to be eminently useful in a real fight whether you're a cop, a civilian, or a Tier 1 guy trying to rescue a hostage.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 06-25-10 at 09:29.

Feedback Score
    JW777, thanks for putting into words what was bouncing around in my head.
    The needed skill at a given time is situational.
    Having the skill to zipper several rounds at bad breath distance may be needed someday. Delivering a precise shot at distance may be needed someday.
    Stay safe.

Feedback Score
    Right around the time he said he's "never been a big fan of aimed fire" my eyes kinda glazed over, but some of the war stories were very interesting after that so worth the listen. It certainly reinforces that firearms training and tactics has come a long ways over the years.
    Last edited by BrianS; 06-26-10 at 05:54.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12