Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT M4, To shoot, or not to shoot, that is the question...

Feedback Score

LMT M4, To shoot, or not to shoot, that is the question...

So I recently finished a LMT M4 build project. I built the thing as an experiment really. This all started out at a gunshow, I went there to buy some steel targets and pick up a couple smaller items. I am nosing around and there was a table, that had a brand new LMT 14.5 upper on it with a Bolt, Bolt Carrier and one of the new Tach Latched LMT charging handles. The price was $500.00. So I asked the fellow behind the table if the price included the Bolt, Bolt Carrier Charging Handle. To my surprise he said yes. I even asked twice to be sure as complete uppers minus the Bolt Carrier group and Charging Handle are like $485.00 on a good day. So $500 bones cash and carry. I thought to my self "not bad" thus began the quest to see how inexpensively I could finish out a M4 carbine.

Next came a YHM 5C1 flashhider to get the barrel out past 16 inches. $25.00 and I drilled and pinned it. Then I bribed a buddy with a welder (couple of beers $5.00) to weld over the pin. I sanded the weld smooth and hit it with some cold blue. So now it is legal to put the upper onto a lower.

Total at this point $530

Next came a LMT Defender 2000 lower from Dynamic Armament for $300.00. It took a month and with shipping and transfer fee It came out another $30.00 so the lower was had for $330 to my door.

Total at this point is $860.00.

Hand Guards, I picked up one of the Blemed Knights RASs, that (for the life of me, I can't tell what the Blem is) for $165.00 delivered.

Total at this point $1025.00.

I next traded out the Ergo Grip to a buddy for a Magpul Maid grip that he did not like (silly him) so score there. He also came off a Magpul Trigger Guard for $15.00

Total at this point $1040.00.

Next I turned to Ebay and took two very big rolls of the dice. I was worried about airsoft fakes but I lucked out and wound up buying a Knights 600 meter BUIS for $110.00 delivered and and LMT buttstock for $137.00 also delivered. They are both real thank goodness.

Total at this point $1287.00

Now, we have a working dependable Carbine. So the question is should I shoot it or stick it away for a rainy day. I have my Piston driven M4 that I shoot all the time and it is my "go to" Carbine. I really did not start out that day to build an LMT M4 but it became a "can I build it cheaper project?" and I don't think I did too bad. But I don't need another M4 Carbine. Soooo Shoot? Don't shoot and save...

Hummmmmmmmm the things that make ya go hummmmmmmm

IPSC_GUY
    SIERRA II ALPHA

Feedback Score
    What would you do with it if you didn't shoot it?

Feedback Score
    If a "rainy day" means you need money, then maybe.

If a "rainy day" means you need another reliable carbine in a hurry, then an unproven weapon (even Tier 1 like your LMT) might get you wet.

I built one very similar to your's and love it. LMT already test fires the hell out of their uppers, so it's not like it would make a big difference if you ran several hundred rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunderway View Post
    If a "rainy day" means you need money, then maybe.

If a "rainy day" means you need another reliable carbine in a hurry, then an unproven weapon (even Tier 1 like your LMT) might get you wet.

I built one very similar to your's and love it. LMT already test fires the hell out of their uppers, so it's not like it would make a big difference if you ran several hundred rounds through it.
    Ahhh good points. I doubt very much I would sell it needing the cash, maybe as trading materiel now that I think about it.

I think if I do shoot it, I would do so to make sure it is 100% (Say 200 or 300 rounds) reliable and keep a round count log book for it? Your right though and untested fire arm is just that. Again good point.

IPSC_GUY
    SIERRA II ALPHA

Feedback Score
    If you just sight it in and do some reliability firing, I can't imagine it hurting the value of it.

It should be an extremely reliable carbine. If keeping it for SHTF I would just make sure that it works well with the ammo and mags that you plan to keep on hand.

It would also drive me crazy to have that nice of an M4 sitting around and not put any rounds down range.

Feedback Score
    I think if I do shoot it, I would do so to make sure it is 100% (Say 200 or 300 rounds) reliable and keep a round count log book for it?
    I would sight it in and do this at a minimum.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by strambo View Post
    I would sight it in and do this at a minimum.
    I'd have to agree, just for the sake of knowing it fires correctly would help me sleep better at night and even if I were buying/trading for it I would feel better knowing its fully functional

Feedback Score
    Hey, you're an IPSC guy, so you already know what to do - zero it, shoot it until you get bored with it, put it away, and build another rifle. Do you have too many?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    put it in the safe for many years

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IPSC_GUY View Post
    Now, we have a working dependable Carbine.
    How do you know until you shoot it? I would not declare this until you've ran 1,000 trouble free rounds through it.

Even new Noveske's and Colt's have had issues. Run it for a while.

Otherwise, you did good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast