Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1995 MRE review

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LOL I found this this afternoon while looking for more chilimac....

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n13794852/

MRE #19, Beef Roast with Vegetables

10 The real beef in this meal startled the entire staff. After tasting other meat meals, they'd grown accustomed to spongy substitutes. "It's a Midwestern delight--in a bag," was one comment. The potatoes, however, were a different story. Very pasty, they tasted like they came straight from a can. "But the thrill of real beef overcame that shortcoming."

MRE #2, Pork Rib with New England Style Clam Chowder

9 The pork rib was so good and realistic, one taster said, "I swear I could taste bone marrow." And the thick and creamy clam chowder looked and tasted like it was shipped from Boston. The consensus: "The clam chowder is very tasty. But you need to warm it to really enjoy it."

MRE #12, Veggie Burger with Barbecue Sauce

8 Surprisingly yummy. Hands down the most unexpected entree in the batch. The staff approached the veggie burger like Bambi at a rifle range convention, timidly. But a taster said, "It tastes more like meat than the beef-type entrees. It has surprisingly good flavor. Definitely a meal I'd eat again." Everyone agreed. If only all vegetarian cuisine was this good.

MRE #13, Cheese Tortellini

7 Tops the list for the Italian fare. "Smells great and is very tomatoey. It looks good, too--like a normal dish. It's creamy, a good meal, overall."

MRE #15, Beef Enchiladas with Picante Sauce

6 The best of the south-of-the-border entrees. "It has a spicy-Mexicany taste worth trading for. The picante sauce has kick and mixes well with the enchilada."

MRE #10, Chili Mac

5 Get what you pay for in this meal. No false advertising here. "Just what I expected--a good-tasting chili mac. An American classic--dig in!"

MRE #3, Beef Ravioli

4 Another Italian meal in the "it's-hard-to-mess-this-up" category. "Not a bad deal. It tastes better than Chef Boy-R-Dee. And it looks good--always a plus."

MRE #21, Chicken Tetrazzini

3 "Looks like a school lunch." Although the staff agreed it tasted yummy, the texture was a bit disturbing. "Sticks to teeth and gums a bit, but it's really good.

MRE #16, Chicken with Noodles

2 An old reliable and close kissing cousin to chicken tetrazzini--and with the same disturbing problem. The taste was great, "but the consistency was kind of weird. It stuck together like cow saliva [Napoleon's grenadiers would have loved that]. But looks were deceiving."

MRE #8, Beef Patty with Mexican Mac & Cheese

1 The mac and cheese side dish kept this entree from falling off the list. The beef patty was unreal--as in not real. "It was kind of like a 'Mexican Sponge Bob.'"

Best of the Worst

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Chili Mac comes with jalopino cheese now for more goodnes.
    But these cases state a 3 year life span, some of the meals I have some cases of 5 years or better, and some of the meals I cracked into are so so.
    [I]Life is Hard, It is even Harder if You are Stupid.
    John Wayne[/I]

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    Meal: escalloped potatoes and ham.
    -The heater did not work at all, did not even get warm.
    -Comes with a cheese packet, like processed cheese spread-was half fake cheese color and half brown. I did taste it and it did taste like processed cheese but the brown color and grainy texture made me not eat it.
    -escalloped potatoes and ham. Since the heater did not work I ate it room temp. Really wasnt bad, was like corned beef hash with extra potatoes.
    -Apple sauce- was pretty brown, I thought it had Cinnamon in it but no, it was just brown. Tasted like applesauce I guess.
    -Brownie- tasted ok, really dry and I was not going to make the hot coco drink I had too just to get the brownie down.
    -hot coco- same as fresh powdered hot coco
    -packet of condiments- I did not open it but everything look ok, except for the tobasco sauce which is VERY brown.
    If it makes you feel any better, they were about the same when new.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12