Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "I Ain't Need No Trainin', Boy!" or, The Face of Stupid

Feedback Score
    I got an old 3rd hand gunsite t shirt.......... why do I need training LOL.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Personally, I don't think it's worth being upset over, guys.

As limited as training availability can be sometimes, just be glad he's not filling a spot in classes, only to end up to arguing with the instructor and wasting training time.
    Not upset, just pointing out a good illustration of the mentality of the average gun-forum window licker as a negative example.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    So many people think that owning and carrying a gun denotes skill.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IMHO, the day I stop learning is the day I die!!
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I posted on another forum a few months ago how I thought it was irresponsible to strap on a gun without any sort of training. The uproar was deafening.

It is more arrogance and pride than stupidity. Here on M4, where folks "get it", you get kudos for how much training and experience with a firearm that you have while on others you will get high praise for that beautiful picture of the firearm that you just purchased only to be become a safe queen.

A few years ago I was out with my boys shooting when an old retired guy showed up and started shooting with us. He told us all kinds of good stories of his time with guns but I couldn't help noticing how poorly he handled himself with them. My boys actually commented on the way home how they felt that he was not following the safety rules that they had learned.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I wouldnt say that everyone here gets it. It took me a little bit to realize that I didnt get it, and then a little longer to realize how much was actually available (even for FREE). What I will say though is being open minded allowed me to end up getting set straight.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Unfortunately, you run into this even in more "switched on" clubs. The club I belong to has a fairly active IDPA and 3 Gun culture, and have for years, but very, very few of those guys have ever attended a class.

I don't know if age has a lot to do with it, although it might.

My father is 69 years old and is a a recreational shooter. He's an Army non combat vet (1960-1963), but he's attended a Vickers Battle Rifle class and a Pennington Concealed Carry class, and took a huge amount of knowledge away from both.

Some people just know what they know and won't be swayed.

I'm as fiercely pro gun, pro personal freedom guy as you'll meet, but having worked in and out of the industry for the past 20 + years has led me to believe that the vast majority of "gun owners", shouldn't be.

Not until they get some decent training anyway.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    The military is no exception to this mentality.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Learning never stops. It must never stop. We must not tolerate attitudes or advocacy to the contrary in others.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    I posted on another forum a few months ago how I thought it was irresponsible to strap on a gun without any sort of training. The uproar was deafening.

It is more arrogance and pride than stupidity. Here on M4, where folks "get it", you get kudos for how much training and experience with a firearm that you have while on others you will get high praise for that beautiful picture of the firearm that you just purchased only to be become a safe queen.

A few years ago I was out with my boys shooting when an old retired guy showed up and started shooting with us. He told us all kinds of good stories of his time with guns but I couldn't help noticing how poorly he handled himself with them. My boys actually commented on the way home how they felt that he was not following the safety rules that they had learned.
    If I had a dollar for every time some old duffer muzzle swept me with a gun I'd be rich. I seriously considered hitting my FIL in the mouth over the weekend because he just can't ****ing remember not to point guns at me. He is always finger-****ing something and will wave it around with total disregard for his environment. I found myself looking down the muzzle of a loaded S&W 629 while he examined the side of the cylinder for who-the-****-knows-what, and I had finally had enough.

I finally told him when he thinks he can remember NOT to point guns at me, then my wife and I will be around him again, but if he can't, then he can go **** himself, and maybe we'll see him at his funeral. Maybe.
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 06-18-10 at 13:00.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast