Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a14.5" w/ pinned fh too much trouble?

Feedback Score
    The other thing to consider is it really is not that much longer OAL when you compare the two. A 14.5" with a Vortex is 16.1" a 16" barrel with a stand. A2 is 17". So, is it really worth 1". That is for you to decide but, if you ever feel like trying a different muzzle option it is a pain in A-- to take off a perm. attached device vs. unscrewing the old one.
    Last edited by hitman1012; 06-19-10 at 09:31.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

I had Addax out in CA custom build my 14.5 upper for me;

- Vltor MUR-1A upper
    - Sabre 14.5 government profile bbl.
    - Pinned YHM Phantom Comp
    - 12.0 DD Lite rails
    - Mid-length gas system.

I JUST slapped the Noveske lower on it last night, so it's light, tight, and ready to go!

For a lightweight, home defense carbine, it was worth it to me! Even though PA is a Class III legal state, finding an LEO willing to sign off can be another story altogether (particularly if you live in one of the two blue anchors of the state... which I do ). I have a three story house WITH a full basement, so I have a LOT of stairwells to navigate. That's why I like the 14.5.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Navigating my casa with a rifle (16 or 14.5) wouldn't be optimal IMO. Whether holed up, or clearing.No shot in the house would be any longer than 20' from my bedroom door,which is basically at a centrally located 6x6 hallway where all the doors to all the rooms of my house meet. This is however a rookies opinion and I am open to suggestions. Also, if I had a standard residential hallway to turn around in(which I don't) to sweat off an inch of back fat would probably be a better longrun option for my fat a$$.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    It's a great option if you've already owned an AR and know what you want out of a build.

If you're using a fixed FSB but are open to rails going past the FSB, I'd look elsewhere (Then again, you can always have the FSB dremel-ed) If you're decided on a fixed FSB and aren't going to change, then go with the 14.5"

If you're going with a railed forearm and a rail mounted sight, then go with the 14.5". There's no reason not to unless you find yourself swapping muzzle devices left and right.

Really the only two downsides are:

1. Hard to change from fixed FSB to free-floating one piece handguards if not initially installed.

2. Hard to remove muzzle device.

That's it.

The Positives?

1. Shorter

2. Lighter

3. Reliable gas systems (compared to SBR's, not that that's a consideration for you in particular)

So, as long as you know what kind of AR you want, then go with the 14.5"
    I agree with the above !!! I live behind enemy lines and my 14.4 is my 3rd AR ! I built a 14.5 mid because its what I really wanted & because I already have a 16 Carbine & a 18 inch Mid Length,,it just seemed like the thing to do,,, I wanted a light,fast handling rifle so I opted for this setup,,is it faster better handling than my 16 inch Carbine,,probably,,does it weight less,,probably a little. I guess it boils down to,,do you really want a 14.5,,,if ya need to be talked into it,,,then stay with a 16,, As I like to say,,"All my ARs are exactly the same,,Only different,,LOL Because of where I live I have A1 stocks on all and I have the same grip on them all,,so the ergonomics are similar,,,but the difference is in the weight and handling dept !! So far I really like it and the trouble of dealing with the Perm MB or FS is just a fact of life for me,,so I don't let it enter into the decision factor. Its a fun,,accurate rifle,,as they say,,Try it,,you mite like it !!! Here is a quick pic of mine !!
    I have changed the grip out,,this is a pic from a few weeks ago.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cool

Just send it to ADCO and have it pinned.
    Good prices and usually have it back in a week.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I prefer my 14.5 over my 16, it just feels better to me. If you have any mechanical ability it wont be a problem, you can drill and counter sink the FH of you choice and cut a pin. Some FHs come pre-drilled and include a pin, then all you have to do is drill the divot in the threads. Look in the phone book and find you a shop that does quality welding, preferably tig welding and have them cover the pin and hole. I have had the best luck with tig welding without filler. This leaves a slight depression over the hole and pin so it's obvious if someone questions you. The tig welding doesn't penetrate as deep, if done correctly, so removal is as easy as grinding the surface of the weld and extracting the pin(assuming you didn't have to hammer the pin in when you installed it). Not a big deal, and if you do it right you can even use the FH again.

Feedback Score
    I am issued a Colt M4A1 which is my training weapon and have ten's of thousands of rounds through it, if not more. However for duty I run a personally owned 16" Colt HBAR. My work is almost all up close stuff and I find no real difference in the 2 other than some accuracy, select fire, weight and a few other minor things. But for how the weapon runs and its maneuverability I find no real noticeable differences from differing barrel length of 1.5".

I will be switching out the 14.5 with a 10.5 so there will be a definite difference in handling after that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In response to quiet Matts post, I was unaware that I could do the barrel pinning myself, or with the help of someone more qualified because I assumed ( I should know better than to EVER assume) that whatever 14.5 middy barrel I ended up purchasing would have to ship from the dealer with the FH permed. Correct me if I'm wrong- I can build the upper without the flash hider, but can not attach it to the lower until it is permed? This may be a game changer.
    Last edited by MookNW; 06-23-10 at 15:19.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MookNW View Post
    In response to quiet Matts post, I was unaware that I could do the barrel pinning myself and assumed ( I should know better than to EVER assume) that whatever 14.5 middy barrel I ended up purchasing would have to ship from the dealer with the FH permed. Correct me if I'm wrong- I can build the upper without the flash hider, but can not attach it to the lower until it is permed? This may be a game changer.
    yes.. just keep your title 1 receivers away from your short barreled uppers till you get your muzzle devices permed.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    ****.. m1scoutguy- please fix that pic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12