Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ULTIMATE INFANTRY RIFLE (Centurion)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What would the purpose of your build be, Joey?

Right now Centurion is out of the Midweights but has plenty of the Lightweights. The Lightweight is prolly more suited to most general-purpose AR builds.

I like the Centurion barrels because they are heavy duty items; they are Cold Hammer Forged and made to Machine Gun specs (M249), with the heavy chrome lining. Plus, they have a reputation for excellent accuracy.

Daniel Defense also makes some excellent CHF barrels (which Grant sells, by the way); their new 16" Lightweight middie would be the perfect AR barrel IMHO, but I could not use it for my next build, since it has a .625" gas block, and I want to use a VST-1 gas block like in the AR in the OP, and they only come in .750".

If you were looking to do a GP AR, I'd use the DD barrel I mentioned above, plus a rifle-length DD M4A1 RIS II with low-pro gas block. If I had more money, that's what I would build next.

DD M4A1 RIS II:

DD 16" CHF Lightweight:

Oh, yeah!
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 06-19-10 at 22:14.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    The build will just be for target shooting and that sort of thing. I am somewhat newer to the world of AR's and such. I have been around guns and have been hunting since I was little so I have a lot of experience with hunting type guns. It's time for me to branch out from the world of bolt actions and into the world of fast action!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Very nice set up. Very practical.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Dano5326 Guest
    My vote goes for the Centurian lightweight barrel. The thicker steel in the key area under the gas block where the gas port is will hold up better than a thinner barrel.

When I did the HK 416 armorer course at US Training Center, I asked the armorers who went through piles of DI carbines (BW used Bushy M4 clones), how they best chose when to rebarrel. "gas port erosion".. they had nice 90 degree borescopes and shitcanned the barrel as the port started to elongate. This above throat erosion, rifling, etc.. was the key indicator to impending problems.

Dano5326 Guest
    Ultimate "infantry" rifle...
    say something the USMC could retrofit existing receivers with w/o major course altering. Key parts must show utility in ergonomics and longevity.

IMO a 16" varient, midgas, lightweight barrel, collapse stock.

Back to front:
    -VLTOR A5 receiver extension with a VLTOR or SOPMOD stock. This slightly elongated buffer and tube permit a standard rifle length spring and a collapsable stock. Properly springed vs the carbine format, a more correct bolt speed & greater life. Or swap in a flat Sprinco rifle spring and greatly extend life.
    -MOE grip & trigger guard for ergonomics.. or keep USGI
    -Current SOPMOD optic suite & BUIS
    -Single and auto trigger group.. no kinky 3burst
    -Centurian Arms lightweight midgas barrel with standard A2 front sight
    -DDlite Rail system (I note the USMC seems to have "got it" and uses the Mikor dedicated 40mm launcher) so no putting a m203 on it.
    -a2 or sopmod muzzle devices

Beni's.. Overall more compact & and able to fit grunts in body armor in assorted shooting positions. Barrel life greatly extended beyond M4 carbine life. Reduced bolt velocity will increase relability and longevity of BCG and recoil spring
    -all accessories and armorers training still valid
    -key parts backwards compatable
    Last edited by Dano5326; 06-28-10 at 23:47.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm seriously considering the VLTOR A5 for this rifle, Dano! My next build will use the Centurion lightweight barrel.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123