Thread: first build, need help

Feedback Score

first build, need help

Hey all, I need some help building my first AR. I have shot an AR15 before and really really miss the semi-auto action after the purchase of a Ruger 10/22. I am looking for some input on my first build, along with some monetary guidance. I am not looking to break the bank with this, but would like something nice enough to last me for many years without part replacement. I have a .223 bolt-action Savage rifle, so I am not needing to include ammunition into consideration at least for a little while for range purposes.

I am hesitant to buy individual parts as a pre-assembled upper will come with proper head-space, and everything will come correctly assembled with a warranty without me having to buy additional assembly parts. I am also weary of scratching or damaging pins/lowers in assembly in the process.

I would like to use this rifle as home defense, plinking, and hiking open carry. I would like it to fire 5.56 and .223 for ease of ammo choices. I may want to use it in the future as a coyote rifle as well, may be on hiking trips or dedicated hunting trips.

At the local gun store I can purchase a S&W M&P lower with a single stage trigger and telescoping stock for $380 (plus tax comes to about 405). I am waiting until august (gun show) for a better deal, but if someone can confirm that this is a good price I am willing to make a purchase.

I was planning to purchase a Rock River Arms mid-length upper half with a full quad rail, RRA flip-up front sight, chromed carrier bolt group, and chrome lined barrel for $735 before shipping.

RRA also has 30 round mags for $15 and a rear flip up sight for $119.

So before glass, more ammo, hand guards, front grips, and other accessories I am projected to pay $1335ish. Is this a good price for the above items, and are these quality pieces to last me for many years to come?

I would like to put an inexpensive red dot sight, a carry sling, flashlight, and rail covers on to compliment the rifle for my purposes. I am open to anyone's opinions, so please help me with my first build.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    are these quality pieces to last me for many years to come?

absolutely not. Spend some time reading the stickies and various threads on this site.
    for 1335 before your ammo and other accesories, you can buy a top of the line rifle, ie, Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt, or LMT, for less than that all day long. check out G&R Tactical, they have a mid-length complete rifle for under 1000 right now.
    Last edited by matt86; 06-18-10 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Both Rock River and S&W are less than optimal. The brands mentioned in the post above will serve you well. Here is the BCM mentioned above: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...&key=MID-750-C

And how about a complete DANIEL DEFENSE DANIEL DEFENSE M4 rifle with rail, BUIS, VFG and hammer forged barrel for $999 shipped?
    (I did a typo and said Rock River before, sorry)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=174715466

As for cheap red dot sights, forget it. Buy quality or use irons. Cheap optics are simply money down the toilet and a lot of wasted ammo trying to figure out what is wrong. That being said, you can find lightly used Eotechs for $350 and lightly used Aimpoints for $400.

Skip the RRA magazines for $15. Just get yourself a supply of Magpul PMAGs. They sell for $14 ea in my area and you can drop them on the ground, run over them, etc and they will still work great. If they ever do not work great just send them back to Magpul and they will make it right. Here:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=PMAG

For the flashlight, like the optics, get quality. You can often find used Surefire flashlights in the classified section of various forums for a good discount. Some decent weapon lights are listed here:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...&category=SFIR

No comment on rail covers and slings because what works for me may not be appealing to you, and those are not high dollar items.

Forgot to mention: .mil does not like the traditional milspec AR15 mag any more. PMAGs are the stuff.

Last edited by 500grains; 06-20-10 at 20:09. Reason: big typo - said Rock River when I meant DD

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    both matt86 and 500grains nailed it. i just build a mid-length with what most would call "top of the line" parts and it was less than 1200. if you want the exact prices, let me know and i'll post the itemized receipts of everything.

read around a little bit and look through some of the picture threads, and you'll start reading and seeing a lot of the same brands on a lot of the guns, commonly referred to as the big 4 (colt, lmt, daniel defense, bcm). its worth it to spend a little more time now researching so that you don't have to deal with the hassle of replacing less-than-optimal parts later. hope this helps.