Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 77gr Nosler vs SMK

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin 795 View Post
    Have you shot the TMK?

My experience with them indicated that Sierra was fudging their BCs. As does Nosler.
    At 1000 yards my actual zero per shots fired w/ 2750 FPS using the TMK's variable BC is 0.5 MOA higher than what the calc says it should be.

Of course given the distance some shots fall well above and below that 5" difference.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin 795 View Post
    Have you shot the TMK?

My experience with them indicated that Sierra was fudging their BCs. As does Nosler.
    I'm on my second box. I just shot a bunch a few weeks ago with my Labradar chronograph. It gives velocity data almost continuously out to 50 yards or so, so BC can be calculated exactly if someone wants to do the math. I will add the data to this post in a little while. I don't know if the BC is accurate, but I do know they drop less than Noslers loaded with the same amount of powder (not very scientific)

Feedback Score
    LabradarJPEG.jpgLabradarJPEGoneshot.jpg

Here is data with 6 shots at the same charge weight, and also the raw data on the first shot of this bunch.

temperature was 116 F (yes, hot as hell)
    Humidity zero
    Altitude 2028 ft
    Pressure 26.92 inHg (barometric pressure)

I just played around with an online calculator. Using the data from the first shot only, I think I'm seeing a BC of 0.400, which is less than the published 0.420 for the TMK, but it is still better than the Nosler CC. I think I have the barometer setting correct on the calculator (for the barometer, I simply looked at the weather report. BCJPEG.JPG
    Last edited by P2000; 06-28-16 at 10:16. Reason: Added environmental info

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Has anyone compared the Noslers, SMKs, and TMKs side by side?

I have only ran the TMKs out of my 20", but am wondering if the Noslers would shoot just as well out to 600. I presume the 1000 yard stuff would benefit from the TMKs high BC
    We have not noticed any difference out to 600 yards. I don't mind bumping up my DOPE, to make hits on steel at 600. But honestly we only studied the difference on one or two shoots. Because it really doesn't matter. Our test were done more out to 500 to be honest. We shoot more Noslers due to the price being so good. And the performance excellent for .16 a bullet. And we have not seen them coming apart or tumbling at normal velocities. I'm a big fan. We have seen them clover leaf on numerous range sessions.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 06-28-16 at 19:28.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For bolt guns I shoot 75gr amaxs at 17 cents a piece and for mag fed ARs I shoot the CC at 16 cents a piece. For my SHTF stockpile ammo I like the hornady 75gr BTHP woth cannelure. In my experience they frag better on tissue but for mass consumption the CCs are great.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 View Post
    For bolt guns I shoot 75gr amaxs at 17 cents a piece and for mag fed ARs I shoot the CC at 16 cents a piece. For my SHTF stockpile ammo I like the hornady 75gr BTHP woth cannelure. In my experience they frag better on tissue but for mass consumption the CCs are great.
    I'd be fine running ANY of those bullets for defense. The CCs fragged a little better/more dramatically than SMKs in my back yard water tests... not that the SMKs lacked frag performance at all.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My experience with them is out of an 11.5 on hogs. My buddy who does crop depredation prefers the 75s as well.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234