Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 77gr Nosler vs SMK

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Necropost alert: I didn't want to start my own thread since this one already talks about what my question pertains to...

My question is about what Sinister wrote IRT the Nosler jacket spinning off if they were pushed too hard. I'm not concerned so much about the bullet spinning itself apart once every now and then 25-75 yds downrange; more just wondering if there is any possibility of this happening inside a suppressor resulting in a baffle strike, or worse?

Is this still even an issue? It seems that Molon was able to get them up to a pretty high velocity in his test...

Is it worth it to get these over the Sierra 77gr. SMKs?

Also, this is the only place on the internet (well, via quick google search) I could find that states anything about the Nosler jacket spinning off at higher velocities...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thinner jackets run the risk of spinning apart due to centrifugal force.

I don't know if there are enough units, departments, or individuals who use Noslers to tell if there's any kind of database built up.

I've had a GI M193 baffle strike (and they're noted for being pretty robust jackets) on a USG Commando.

If it's a personally-owned can I wouldn't risk it (you have the cost of the can, the NFA stamp, and the ass-pain of the form 4 submission process, fingerprints, and LEO signature, along with the wait time), especially when you add things like heat/droop and tolerances.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Necropost alert: I didn't want to start my own thread since this one already talks about what my question pertains to...

My question is about what Sinister wrote IRT the Nosler jacket spinning off if they were pushed too hard. I'm not concerned so much about the bullet spinning itself apart once every now and then 25-75 yds downrange; more just wondering if there is any possibility of this happening inside a suppressor resulting in a baffle strike, or worse?

Is this still even an issue? It seems that Molon was able to get them up to a pretty high velocity in his test...

Is it worth it to get these over the Sierra 77gr. SMKs?

Also, this is the only place on the internet (well, via quick google search) I could find that states anything about the Nosler jacket spinning off at higher velocities...
    Not sure if this helps but I have had great luck with Nosler 77 grain bullets to the point I am buying them instead of Sierra's. They have about 95% of the accuracy of Sierra's in my guns with only 2/3 the cost. If I need more accuracy than Nosler's can provide I step up to Lapua 77 grain Scenars. I am pushing the Noslers to 2600 fps with no issues.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 09-14-12 at 22:17.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use the Nosler OTM. I cannot tell the difference in accuracy between it and the Sierra.

As far as them breaking apart I have never found a report of this occuring outside of this thread. In any case you won't be able to push them fast enough through a carbine barrel for that to become a possibility.

Feedback Score
    Exactly, common sense wins out again.
    Peace, Jerry

I don't drink the koolaid

Feedback Score
    I switched to the Nosler 77s last year and see no need to go back to the SMKs. They shoot to the same POI except the Sierras are a blond one flatter past ~500 meters. Accuracy appears to be the same or very close. I run both at 2,700 fps out of a Noveske 18" SPR barrel.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Thanks for the responses here guys. I didn't even think about the velocities I would be getting out of a 16", so it sounds like I'll be pushing them below any "dangerous" velocity limit.

Thanks, Noslers it is!

Feedback Score
    I have a question re these projectiles. Nosler lists as a reload in 5.56 cases, using RL15 at max load, a speed of 2685 out of a 20 inch barrel. If that is extrapolated out into a 16 inch barrel/same twist I guess it would be close to 2485 or there a bouts. At what point (speed) do these or the Sierra Match Kings (None TMK so apples vs apples) stop working i.e. become a none viable option for SHTF ammo (non barrier). And in that vain, if the range is 0-300 are you just better to stick with Nosler 64gr BSB rather than slowed down 77gr bullets?

Cheers

Greenie

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Don't use RL anything for hot loads. It's ridiculously temp sensitive. SMKs work pretty good even into trans and sub sonic. Although at those velocities they don't frag, they do penetrate deep and sideways...

For 0-300 SMKs or Noslers are outstanding...even out of a 10.5.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Don't use RL anything for hot loads. It's ridiculously temp sensitive. SMKs work pretty good even into trans and sub sonic. Although at those velocities they don't frag, they do penetrate deep and sideways...

For 0-300 SMKs or Noslers are outstanding...even out of a 10.5.
    Ok re the RL, can I ask what do you mean temp sensitive..how does that play out? Are you talking about hot climates? Whats a better powder to chuck 77's down range hot.

Cheers

Greenie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast