Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 77gr Nosler vs SMK

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. Pressure and velocity go up in warm weather. If you work up a load in the summer, the velocity will drop in the winter. There was a write up on the evolution of the military's 7.62 LR Mk118 round that illustrated how absurd the issue is, and yet they still run RL15 I think. RL 15 had more than twice the velocity variance swing in a temp spread than 4064 did in TWICE the temp spread.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When the Army contract to run Government-Owned/Contractor-Operated (GOCO) small arms ammunition production is let (invariably over the years to Remington, then Winchester-Olin, now ATK) each company asks the Army if they can use the powders they produce internally to maximize profit. ATK will want to, of course, use Alliant powder made in their factory in Radford, Virginia (vice using an Olin, General Dynamics, or IMR product).

M118 Long Range's variation came when the Olin contract expired (using W750 powder) and ATK got the Lake City contract. ATK's powder (RE-15) increased profit because they didn't have to use an outside vendor, thereby increasing their margin.

Feedback Score
    Interesting reading there guys re powder choice motivations for the companies involved, understandable at one level, but kinda sick at another. Markm is the 4064 suitable for 5.56 being a chunckier powder IYO?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Has anyone compared the Noslers, SMKs, and TMKs side by side?

I have only ran the TMKs out of my 20", but am wondering if the Noslers would shoot just as well out to 600. I presume the 1000 yard stuff would benefit from the TMKs high BC
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Has anyone compared the Noslers, SMKs, and TMKs side by side?

I have only ran the TMKs out of my 20", but am wondering if the Noslers would shoot just as well out to 600. I presume the 1000 yard stuff would benefit from the TMKs high BC
    At 1000 I'm sure you'll notice a difference and you'll probably keep your groups a little bit tighter at 600.

My question is, are the TMK's really SO much better that they are worth 8-10 cents more per bullet? When Nosler's are running $170 for 1k and the TMK's are in the $265 range with the standard MatchKing's not far behind at around $240 per 1k, I'm wondering where the actual point of diminishing return is when it comes to accuracy to value per dollar. I think it's been discussed enough up to this as well that even the Sierra OTM's don't seem to be worth the extra money compared to the Sierra's. MarkM seems to have the most experience shooting these 3 bullets long distance so I'm sure he can give you the real world experience you're looking for.

Feedback Score
    I've been using the Noslers as my SHTF stash. Bit locally I can also get the 75gr Hornady's, which shoot nearly identically. Any idea which would be better when it comes to terminal ballistics.

Feedback Score
    I struggle with the Nosler CC 77gr vs Sierra TMK 77gr decision.
    The OP asked Sierra SMK vs Nosler CC. For this I will go Nosler CC all day due to the lower cost and similarity to the SMK.

However, here is why I struggle with the CC vs TMK...Given my typical (not that hot) load and atmospheric data,
    at 600 yards, CC drops 5.3 mil, TMK drops 4.8
    at 800 yards, CC drops 9.1 mil, TMK drops 7.9
    at 900 yards, CC drops 11.4 mil, TMK drops 9.8
    CC is transonic at 830 yards, TMK at 965

Feedback Score
    I'm sure a 223 rem /5.56 NATO isn't capable of dusting a 77gr bullet leaving the muzzle. I doubt I could do it with 35gr bullets. Now if your running 22-250 or 22-243 maybe it could be done even then I find it unlikely with 77gr bullets

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Markm is the 4064 suitable for 5.56 being a chunckier powder IYO?
    It works good in 5.56. But I've not worked with it enough to know if it'll get to full power 5.56 velocity without compressing the load. I run it on a charge master every so often. It's a slow grind.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    I struggle with the Nosler CC 77gr vs Sierra TMK 77gr decision.
    The OP asked Sierra SMK vs Nosler CC. For this I will go Nosler CC all day due to the lower cost and similarity to the SMK.

However, here is why I struggle with the CC vs TMK...Given my typical (not that hot) load and atmospheric data,
    at 600 yards, CC drops 5.3 mil, TMK drops 4.8
    at 800 yards, CC drops 9.1 mil, TMK drops 7.9
    at 900 yards, CC drops 11.4 mil, TMK drops 9.8
    CC is transonic at 830 yards, TMK at 965
    Have you shot the TMK?

My experience with them indicated that Sierra was fudging their BCs. As does Nosler.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast