Thread: Rifle #4 - Guess who's coming to dinner?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Wink Rifle #4 - Guess who's coming to dinner?

Sometimes, projects just fall into your lap; this, is one such case!

I picked up a built Aero Precision lower off a seller on another board, because I couldn't pass on the price - $200! Moreover, it had an ACE shorty stock on it - a stock I've been intrigued by for some time now!

Looks nice enough when I get it, but he tells me he's put 200 rounds through it already. That's fine too, but when I look CLOSELY at the inside...

I mean, that's the CLEANEST 200 round lower I think I've EVER seen! The guy must've cleaned it with q-tips, because not only is it NOT dirty - it's not even oily! I've eaten at restaurants dirtier than this... DELIBERATELY!

Score one for the War Wagon so far! But NOW what to do with it? No problem - somone at M4C is BOUND to have an upper I can blow some money on. And a mod, no less!

mark5pt56 just HAPPENS to be getting rid of his BCM middy at about the same time, and makes me a GREAT deal on that! So we exchange commodities, and now I have a complete upper and lower, for around $750!!!

BONUS plan - I get a LaRue BUIS in the deal!

Pop the oval handguards off, and here's what we got! BCM middy with F/A BCG to boot!

Charger is off my POF, interestingly enough. I'd put a Badger tac-latch on it over a year ago, but as I discovered soon enough - a single-point sling meant, getting popped in the sternum with it... repeatedly... ouch... So I put a Vltor/BCM Gunfighter in the POF recently, to replace the RRA charger I've been running in it. The POF charger just sat in my parts box, waiting for a second life. And since I'm going to a 2-pt. sling on this project, here's hoping that's not an issue this time!

Can't hold a rifle by the bare barrel, so some Troy 9.0 MRF drop-in rails from AIM solve that issue! An Ergo ambidextrous grip from a board member, and an MOE trigger guard in my part's box completes the lower, but we're not done yet!

Gear Sector QD adaptor and Surefire E1 offset mount, allow me to mount Grant's E1B to the rifle now, and we're almost done.

A Gear Sector 2 pt. sling (with free Memorial Day weekend shipping!) from Addax, an AFG from a local fun shop, and a gently used Aimpoint Comp M2 and QRP mount from another board complete the rifle! Rubber armor and flashkill came from G&R Tactical.

How much would YOU pay, to build a rifle like this? I actually have well under $1,300 in it! Not bad, for what started out as simply a 'beater project!'

I love it when a plan comes together!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post

I mean, that's the CLEANEST 200 round lower I think I've EVER seen! The guy must've cleaned it with q-tips, because not only is it NOT dirty - it's not even oily! I've eaten at restaurants dirtier than this... DELIBERATELY!
    Well.. My dad related to me a trick he used in basic when he was a conscript.. It involved a rifle dismantled into all its tiniest components, a plastic bucket and a lot of solvent. Would explain the lack of oil, too..

Nice blaster, how is the stock?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    That RDS looks too low, and its not a good idea, generally, to mount an optic on the forend.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Well.. My dad related to me a trick he used in basic when he was a conscript.. It involved a rifle dismantled into all its tiniest components, a plastic bucket and a lot of solvent. Would explain the lack of oil, too..
    Either way - I'll take it!

Nice blaster, how is the stock?
    Without battle rattle, it seems a tad short. But once you either armor or tac-vest up, I suspect it'll be just right. Plan on blasting a LOT over the 4th of July weekend, and I'll report back.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    That RDS looks too low, and its not a good idea, generally, to mount an optic on the forend.
    Astigmatism. I try and mount them as far forward as possible. It DOES co-witness, although a monolithic platform WOULD work better in this case. I'm already considering a DD Omega 9.0 drop-in, which would allow me to bump it back a notch closer, where I'd actually like it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe he shot 200 rounds with a piston upper
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Maybe he shot 200 rounds with a piston upper
    You beat me to it. On the other hand, solvents, and compressed air, can wash away a multitude of sins.

Anyway, having done the ACE stock thing, and having found it not my cup of tea, you nonetheless have certainly gotten very good bang for your buck. I would have done a couple of other things differently, too, but you did put together a very nice stick at a great price point.
    Last edited by Seraph; 06-21-10 at 15:10.

Feedback Score
    Christmas in June, great deal. Nice stick!
    Last edited by Jdubya101; 06-22-10 at 11:21.