Thread: wanted - Black Hills ammo comparison

Feedback Score

wanted - Black Hills ammo comparison

If the info I seek is already available somewhere on this forum, I appologize in advance. I have searched but not found it.

First, a little background. 99% of my AR15 ammo supply consists of Black Hills .223 loads - 55gr FMJ for training and a mix of 68gr match hollow point and 75gr match hollow point for storage / defense.

I have a fair amount of 68gr ammo purchased for my Bushy with its 1 in 9 twist. I also have a fair amount of 75gr ammo I bought for testing and for a future build/buy. I no longer have my original BM AR - I sold it to fund a 16" BCM middy. I also recently had an opportunity for some unexpected training, and now all my 55gr FMJ training ammo is gone (about 1100 rounds).

I therefore need to buy more ammo.

I could buy more 55gr training ammo, or I could buy more 75gr storage / defense ammo and utilize my 68gr match HP ammo for training.

This is my question...

How much "better" is the Black Hills 75gr match hollow point in .223 over the Black Hills 68gr match HP in .223?

Both rounds are equally accurate out of my AR in my hands out to 100 meters - the farthest I've shot it.

What is the fragmentation range of each? What is the penetration of each? I know neither is a good barrier penetrator, but is one better than the other?

I hate to ask the foolish "which is better" question, because I know the issues of training, practice, more training, learning my weapon system and then more training is far more important than what bullet I place in the mag. I know this. It's just that as long as I am going to be spending a significant sum of money on some kind of ammo, I may as well spend it on the best I can.

If the 68gr and the 75gr are essentially equal, I'll buy more 55gr training ammo - it's cheaper and therefore I can buy more of it. If the 75gr is enough of an improvement over the 68gr, I'll transition my 68gr over to the training category and I'll begin stocking up on more 75gr.

As a side note - I would love to stock up on Hornady T2 75gr in 5.56 - but the few times I could find any, I could never afford it. I have no interest in XM193 or any ammo made in a country where I wouldn't want to drink the water.

Any opinions?

Feedback Score
    If the 68gr and the 75gr are essentially equal, I'll buy more 55gr training ammo - it's cheaper and therefore I can buy more of it.
    I think you answer your own question. I don't know specifically what the difference is performance wise between the BH 68gr and 75gr loads, but I bet it is marginal at most. Get whatever you can train/shoot with more and draw your confidence from your ability, not your ammunitions ability. That is my opinion anyway.

Feedback Score
    If it were that simple, I would and could decide all on my own, but what little info I have is conflicting.

I read in Ammo Oracle that the 68gr Hornady was recommended for 1 in 9 twist barrels that could not shoot heavier rounds, and for ranges under 200 meters.

For 1 in 7 twist barrels, again for ranges under 200 meters, the 75gr Hornady and the 77gr Sierra were recommended.

I no longer have the 1 in 9 barrel, but that really doesn't matter. The 68gr would still be fine for my needs, but I have also read somewhere (but I can't remember where) that the ballistic coefficient for the Hornady 68gr was overly optimistic, and the rounds max fragmentation range was significantly less than what had been stated in print.

I've seen frag ranges listed as 115 meters and 65 meters. All this for the BH 68gr OTM. That's a big difference. The BH 75gr OTM has not shown the same degree of variation between reviewers.

I have no idea who is right. That's why I asked my original question. If both rounds have similar performance envelopes, I'll buy more 55gr training ammo - it's cheaper and I could buy more rounds for the same investment. On the other hand, if the 68gr OTM is really that much less effective than the 75gr OTM, as long as my rifle will handle the heavier round, I may as well buy more 75gr ammo and relagate my 68gr to the training environment. It's not as cost effective, but I would end up with a better supply of ammo.

Just trying to learn.

Feedback Score
    ...draw your confidence from your ability, not your ammunitions ability.
    It is the only way to go, otherwise you will pull your hair out over-thinking this stuff.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    I could buy more 55gr training ammo, or I could buy more 75gr storage / defense ammo and utilize my 68gr match HP ammo for training.
    ...or you could sell the 68-gr and buy the 75-gr.

It seems to me that your confidence in the 68-gr isn't very high. Were I you, I'd buy the 75-gr and be done with it.

FWIW, I sold all of my 69-gr BH and bought 75-gr BH when I went from a 1/9 to a 1/7 rifle.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If the farthest you have ever shot is 100 yards any ammunition you put in that rifle will meet the grade.

Shoot 55-grain GI ball and save yourself the headache. Inside your house anything you hit someone with will kill him if you aimed it right. You've got 30 chances.

Hobby shooting ain't rocket surgery. Money is money. It's worked for 40 years.
    Last edited by sinister; 06-26-10 at 13:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    THe BHA 68 OTM and 75 HP are both incredibly accurate and good loads. You can drive yourself batty splitting hairs on them. I would buy what I could keep a steady supply of at the price point I wanted to pay.

I appreciate the work and effort of our bullet and ballistic gurus, who have brought us great data and tools with which to make decisions. That being said, the end users can get downright silly over some of this stuff.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all who replied. I'm not looking to split hairs or gain an incremental increase in performance. More professional training and time spent at the range practicing would serve me far better than obsessing over which round is best.

My question was predicated on my having read from what I considered to be a credible source that the BH 68gr OTM was not as effective as sources such as ammo oracle have indicated. Fragmentation ranges half of what I thought. This after I bought a sizeable supply of the round.

I can test ammo for function and accuracy, but I can not test for terminal performance - I rely upon places like this for that data.

So here I am, with a lot of ammo I bought for a rifle I no longer have, with the intention of storing it for a rainy day, and now I read that it may not be as smart a choice as I had at first thought. OK, fine. It may not be best, but it's still pretty good. Very accurate in my new rifle and QC is top notch.

However, now that all my training ammo is gone, and I need to replace it, I have the option of using my 68gr OTM for training and replace my storage ammo instead. As my new rifle can shoot the heavier 75gr load, I could switch to this exclusively. I've already got a start on this load. I need more, but I could buy it a little at a time.

So as I said earlier, if there is only an incremental increase in performance between the 68gr and the 75gr, I'll spend my money on more 55gr FMJ - it's cheaper and I could buy more for the same investment. If, on the other hand, there is a sizeable difference in performance betwen the 68gr and the 75gr, I would rather buy more 75gr and use my 68gr for training.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Moonshot, it's very simple. Yes, the 69 gr. load may offer slightly less terminal performance than the 77 gr. If you don't feel comfortable/confident with keeping the 69 gr. load, then sell it or shoot it. If it were me, I'd probably keep it for a rainy day as BH ammo is good stuff. At the very least, you could hunt or varmint with it.

As sinister said, for home defense, the differences will probably be negligible, and you'll have 30 chances to make sure it counts.

If you have a class coming up, I would order up a case of cheaper 55 gr. ammo. For the budget minded, I see no reason to waste good defensive quality ammo on a high round count class, unless I wasn't paying for it. I plan on running 62 gr. Silver Bear hollow points ($260 for a case) during an upcoming class and bringing along some PMC Bronze if the Russian stuff gives me trouble. In my past experience, it hasn't been problematic at all.

When you finally save up, purchase a couple hundred rounds of 75 or 77 grain defensive ammo to settle your doubts.
    Last edited by uwe1; 07-10-10 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pick a defensive load and go with it. Buy 55gr ball for training/practice.

You might also call BHA (605-348-5150) and ask what advice and test results they may have available. You'll find them extremely friendly and helpful. If you ask, they may also be able to share who might be using their 68 and 75gr loadings for duty. There a number of agencies using and shooting people with both.
    Last edited by ST911; 07-11-10 at 16:47.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب