Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The rise and fall of the SCAR.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The rise and fall of the SCAR.

Kid does a good job of covering the rise and fall of the SCAR, with the US mil at least. I didn't know the reciprocating handle had been a demand of SOCOM:

Last edited by WillBrink; 09-09-23 at 11:59.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Early SCAR L the op rod track was too big, a 5.56 case or cartridge could get stuck there and cause a major jam. That problem was corrected and SCAR L's donated by Belgium seem to be performing pretty well in Ukraine.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 09-09-23 at 18:47.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    It's ugly AF.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I didn't know the reciprocating handle had been a demand of SOCOM:
    According to an NSW guy who was extensively involved in the testing of the SCAR platform:

The original SCARs also had 0-45 and 0-90 throws for semi and full-auto, respectively. Until one of the component commands threw a fit over that feature, and insisted it be identical to the selector on an M-4, 0-90 & 0-180. The same component command also did not like the captured charging handle.

Said component command did NOT purchase any SCAR rifles upon USSOCOM’s adoption of the Mk17 after insisting on several design changes.

So not necessarily so much a demand of SOCOM, so much as a specific component of SOCOM.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la męme chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    . I didn't know the reciprocating handle had been a demand of SOCOM:
    I think some of the requirements were specifically written to rule out an AR based improvement program. It was justification for a new platform.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I think some of the requirements were specifically written to rule out an AR based improvement program. It was justification for a new platform.
    There were things in the M17 program like that, also.

The testers specifically hated the reciprocating charging handle.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think what really killed the SCAR L was the budget drawdown in 2008-2011, SOCOM no longer allowed to spend like drunken sailors plus the SOPMOD Block II upgrades arriving.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I think what really killed the SCAR L was the budget drawdown in 2008-2011, SOCOM no longer allowed to spend like drunken sailors plus the SOPMOD Block II upgrades arriving.
    As he says, the Block II improvements answered all of the perceived deficiencies with the M4 at the time. The SCAR L did not, and was not particularly well liked with the testers, who used it for a training cycle and a combat deployment. It didn’t seem to do anything that the M4 couldn’t. I think I remember it weighing more, too.

Feedback Score
    Outfitting a military with multiple weapons systems to maintain that basically fulfill nearly the same roles just isn't efficient.

Standardizing platforms makes more sense from a procurement, maintenance, logistics, and training/familiarization perspective.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    As he says, the Block II improvements answered all of the perceived deficiencies with the M4 at the time. The SCAR L did not, and was not particularly well liked with the testers, who used it for a training cycle and a combat deployment. It didn’t seem to do anything that the M4 couldn’t. I think I remember it weighing more, too.
    When I think of the SCAR I think of the H myself.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast