Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is no one using a 6:00 mount?

Feedback Score

Is no one using a 6:00 mount?

I couldn't find a single post showing anyone mounting their light at 6:00.... am I missing something in my newbness here? I'm thinking of the M600C and mounting at 6:00 with a tape switch to the TD... since I don't have the light at the moment is this not doable?

Feedback Score
    I take it you are talking specifically about rifle-mounted lights? 6 o'clock mounted lights are generally considered less than optimal, because the barrel ends up casting a shadow right on the upper portion of your target. 12 o'clock are for the most part considered the most ideal.
    Last edited by tampam4; 06-24-10 at 17:47. Reason: forgot word
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    6 o'clock positioning also limits support-hand placement and can **** you up with supported firing positions. not to mention it's the fastest way to beat the absolute dog-shit out of your light.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 06-24-10 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 13grandy View Post
    I couldn't find a single post showing anyone mounting their light at 6:00.... am I missing something in my newbness here? I'm thinking of the M600C and mounting at 6:00 with a tape switch to the TD... since I don't have the light at the moment is this not doable?
    One could consider that to be a clue

Back in the days when the M600 was the best mounted light on the market a lot of us flailed about in financial flaggelations, doing our best to replicate the M600 without the ridiculous price tag (or weight, or crappy mount, or poor positioning of the pressure pad, or huge donkey-appendage grip size. . . wait a second, why the hell did we like the damn thing again??).

Anyway- a light at 6 is more difficult to turn on/off, gets blocked easily- especially if you are trying to keep a low silhouette, limits support hand placement, limits supported and covered position use, pretty much precludes a bipod, throws a huge shadow over whatever you are trying so desperately to see, for some odd reason the light gets the shit beat out of it more, and basically makes life harder than it needs to be.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 06-24-10 at 17:56.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    aha.... makes sense, thus the apparent reason why 9 or 3 seems to be the norm. I notice a few are going with 12:00 but on a M6A2 I'd have to mount it pretty far back to get it out of the way of the front sight, about 1.5" farther back than a 6:00 mount and I use a 553 that gives a profile too low to mount it 12:00.

I'm either stuck with 6:00 or a side mount, just for the feel of balance I would of preferred 6:00.

Any comments on the SF tape switches? Reliable over the long haul?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    aha.... makes sense, thus the apparent reason why 9 or 3 seems to be the norm. I notice a few are going with 12:00 but on a M6A2 I'd have to mount it pretty far back to get it out of the way of the front sight, about 1.5" farther back than a 6:00 mount and I use a 553 that gives a profile too low to mount it 12:00.

I'm either stuck with 6:00 or a side mount, just for the feel of balance I would of preferred 6:00.

Any comments on the SF tape switches? Reliable over the long haul?
    Not so-
    a 10:30 or 2:30 placement works very well and positions the tail near the thumb of the support hand.

Further, a 3:00 or 9:00 placment will have many of the same draw-backs as the 6:00.

I highly recommend against tape-switches.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    not to mention it's the fastest way to beat the absolute dog-shit out of your light.
    That is no joke
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    hmmmm..... well I do prefer the vertical grip... don't wanna lose that. That's gonna severely limit placement for me I can see.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    hmmmm..... well I do prefer the vertical grip... don't wanna lose that. That's gonna severely limit placement for me I can see.
    What?
    Not at all.

You need to look around at the stickies and pic threads- here and in the AR GD forum, specifically the "AR Photo" thread. There aren't many guns you will see on the forum without a light.

The answers are right in front of you, literally.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    why would you lose the VFG?

this isn't considered an optimal modern setup, for a number of reasons, but it's an example. one great VFG setup includes an offset mount on the left side (if you shoot right handed) that can be hit with the thumb. you just have to acquire the right gear to make it happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast