Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please provide comments on my pencil upper idea.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Please provide comments on my pencil upper idea.

So I ordered my Noveske today. Now my next priority is a pencil barrel rifle. Please provide any comments or suggestions you might have on this. Feel free to offer criticism, for without it there is no way for me to learn.

Pencil barrel upper

DD 16 mid pencil barrel CHF CL 1-7 $ 250
    F marked military front sight ___?
    Troy extreme 9 inches $165
    MUR-1A with FA $220
    Mid gas tube $15
    Assembly labor ___?
    ____
    $650 + ___ = ? $700 ?

Flash hider VLTOR VC-A2 $53
    DD M16 BCG $129
    Charging handle BCM mod 3 $45
    ____
    $207

Sexy lower

Seekins Lower stripped $180 (used)
    G&R LPK $40
    Geissele SSK $175
    Magpul CTR $97
    Milspec grip (my favorite) - free
    BCM Buffer tube $37
    Tactical Springs Buffer spring $20
    LMT H buffer $19
    ____
    $589

Total: $1498 = (700+207+589)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not sure what your intended purpose(s) of the rifle is(are), but I've a few suggestions:

1. I'd ditch the fancy buffer spring and go with the BCM RE kit ($56 with spring RE, std buffer, castle nut and end plate). If you must, you could swap to a BCM H buffer for an additional $12.
    2. If you're goal is a lightweight build, then I'd replace the MUR with a standard flat top upper of your choice. This will save you about 2 ounces and $100. Yes, the MUR is great and I employ one on my SPR, but I really don't think it's necessary on a pencil barrel build. Hell, I'm pretty sure it isn't necessary on my SPR either
    3. The VLTOR A2 FH is no more effective than a standard A2 which can be had for $8. With > $150 savings on these items you could upgrade your muzzle device to a Battle Comp muzzle brake or spend it on something else.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cav Arms polymer lower will be lighter if you want to go even more lightweight

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Agree with the above comment re: not bothering with the MUR, and I wouldn't bother with the seekins either. In fact, I'd stay the hell away from the seekins.

Why are you building a lightweight gun? What is your intended application?

for example, I'm assembling a lightweight gun for a woman or a child to use, and so my choices are all weighed against that end use.

No matter the end use, billet and lightweight are counter-intuitive IMHO.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

well

I just so happen to have recived that upper from Grant yesterday. I would post a pic but in my haste ordering I forgot to get a flash suppressor so pics must wait till it comes.
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 06-24-10 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I just so happen to have recived that upper from Grant yesterday. I would post a pic but in my haste ordering I forgot to get a flash suppressor so pics must wait till it comes.
    Same exact thing? PLEASE photos right away! You can put a piece of masking tape over the muzzle threads and we will pretend there is a FH there.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    In fact, I'd stay the hell away from the seekins.
    Can you tell me why please. I would like to know of what problems could arise.

[img]Why are you building a lightweight gun? What is your intended application?

for example, I'm assembling a lightweight gun for a woman or a child to use, and so my choices are all weighed against that end use.[/img]

This will be a LW for me to use personally. I will later build an optimized LW for woman / child use. Right now my 9 year old uses a 6 lb 4 oz AR15. When it is hot in the desert, about an hour of drills has him worn out, so I am guessing that it would be helpful to shave off another 8 oz, but that is for the next build.

Regarding CAVARMS, they are just butt ugly. On the LW build for my 9 y.o. I may use one because he won't care. But personally I like the looks of the VLTOR and Seekins, which is why I listed them. Maybe I should switch around some uppers I have here and use a DD upper for the LW build and put the VLTOR on a WOA 16" mid wt.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Heh! Don't be surprised if the 9 yo DOES notice the Cavarms lower is ugly. I know I noticed those things at at that age

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    Regarding CAVARMS, they are just butt ugly. On the LW build for my 9 y.o. I may use one because he won't care.
    Proper fit or lack of proper fit will be more of a problem that a few ounces. Collapsible stocks are such a great feature for smaller women or children I would not consider a fixed stock lower for that application.
    Last edited by Todd.K; 06-25-10 at 12:56.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    the BCM RE kit ($56 with spring RE, std buffer, castle nut and end plate). If you must, you could swap to a BCM H buffer for an additional $12.
    Very good suggestion.

upgrade your muzzle device to a Battle Comp muzzle brake
    How loud is that brake? I am pretty deaf already.
    Last edited by 500grains; 06-24-10 at 21:16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast