Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Chance of a basic 7.62X51 AR battle rifle?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dsg2003gt View Post
    thats why i bought mine!
    seriously, after running the MWS with iron sights today i can't think of a better *battle* rifle.

Feedback Score
    I'd like to see LMT or someone else at least do an upper without the mono rail, etc., to give you a lighter weight alternative. If you took all that off, used a lighter weight profile barrel, etc., wonder what you would end up for a rifle weight? Sub 8 lbs? I don't have any idea.

Even though I've got a .308 MRP coming, I'd also love to have something like that... a light, top quality .308 battle carbine. Even if the price was fairly close to the the bells and whistle model....but I'm probably in the minority...as usual.....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I want this to come back:

"Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Have you pondered RRA

if you want the knight pattern mag, it looks like all those weapons are pretty much up there in price except DPMS

Feedback Score
    Could go with the Larue OBR. I decided to piece on together from various parts, I cant get over the weight and the ugly handguards on the LMT, also I dont care about swaping barrels I want something similar to a GI weight M14 barrel thats around 18 inches on my rifle I will probably use one of the lightweight Fulton barrels for this since there made by the samme guys that make the M14 barrels for their EBR clones and they have a good rep.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanm40a1 View Post
    Could go with the Larue OBR. I decided to piece on together from various parts, I cant get over the weight and the ugly handguards on the LMT, also I dont care about swaping barrels I want something similar to a GI weight M14 barrel thats around 18 inches on my rifle I will probably use one of the lightweight Fulton barrels for this since there made by the samme guys that make the M14 barrels for their EBR clones and they have a good rep.
    I dont know if you have handled the LMT in person, but if yo havent you need to go ahead and do so before you make up your mind. Pictures and "weight" numbers dont do the rifle justice. I was convinced I would never touch anything weighing more than 9lbs until I held one of these. It just seems right, cant explain it, you just need to go hold one and see for your self. After shooting 308, I can tell you that weight is your friend in this case, specially on a semi auto rifle were you want to make repeated follow up shots. The weight is one factor at keeping the gun in place were you wan it.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate that but I have a hard time getting past the huge chunk of alluminum near the magwell on the lower handguard as well, I dont do the new style forward shooting grip on the handguard this will be a DMR for me and it just looks stupid and uncomfortable to me for my purposes. If I cared about changing barrels is would probably be different but I dont so it just annoys me. When Mega comes out with their recievers I will just build a rifle based off of them with a light weight chrome lined barrel and I am pretty sure I will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by OTO27 View Post
    I dont know if you have handled the LMT in person, but if yo havent you need to go ahead and do so before you make up your mind. Pictures and "weight" numbers dont do the rifle justice. I was convinced I would never touch anything weighing more than 9lbs until I held one of these. It just seems right, cant explain it, you just need to go hold one and see for your self. After shooting 308, I can tell you that weight is your friend in this case, specially on a semi auto rifle were you want to make repeated follow up shots. The weight is one factor at keeping the gun in place were you wan it.

Feedback Score
    DPMS LR-308 Classic

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/product...=5113&cat=1940

Is this what you're looking for? Reasonably priced, FSB, SR25 pattern mags, standard handguards, etc.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanm40a1 View Post
    I appreciate that but I have a hard time getting past the huge chunk of alluminum near the magwell on the lower handguard .............
    That is the barrel extension and is the reason that the MWS is as accurate as it is. Are you serious, you won't buy the LMT because of how it looks? I agree about the weight, but not the total weight rather than the balance. The MWS feels front end heavy to me. I believe an M-14 is heavier?
    Last edited by DWood; 08-29-10 at 08:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO27 View Post
    The LMT is great, but I can see wanting a lightweight battle carbine in .308 as well. How many guys own a loaded up 5.56 but also have a featherweight AR?

You're definitely right about the weight making it more shootable, just as my heavy barrel Model 700 .308 is easier to shoot than my custom 5 lb Model 7, but I still like having both of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast