Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Used Quikclot on My Dog!

Feedback Score

I Used Quikclot on My Dog!

I was hiking in the mountains near my home in Southern AZ with my dog. We encountered a herd of Javelina (sort of a wild boar) and my dog went after them. The male of the group of Javelina tore into the dog and they were biting and slashing each other. I used my hiking stick and beat on the Javelina until he finally took off and I was able to grab my dog. He was really beat up and badly cut from tusk wounds. I treated him like a would a human who suffered gashes like his and I pressed a couple of Quikclot sponges into his wounds. His blood clotted just like a person's.

I have used Quikclot for several years as part of my own medicine cabinet supplies and also in my gobag first-aid kit. For those unfamiliar with the product, it is gauze that is impregnated with kaolin which causes the blood to clot. The U.S. military has used it for a number years in Iraq and Afganistan and it is now available for civilian purchase. I bought some because I have an artificial valve in my heart and am forced to use Coumadin blood thinner. Any cut can be a bleeding problem and Quikclot is the most effective, easiest to use product I have found to stop that bleeding.

I had not planned on using it on my dog, but had no choice and was relieved that it worked so well. I was able to bandage him and carry him to a veternarian where he got a bunch of stitches and shots. I have since found that Z-Medica, the company that makes Quikclot now has a product called "Petclot". I don't know if it is somehow different from the human used product, but I'm going to get some because I love to hike with my dog and I am a believer in trying to be prepared for stuff that happens.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I'm glad it worked! Yes, QC works on dogs. It'll work on any animal that shares the same 'clotting cascade' that humans have. In fact, as many people know, the Navy/Z-Medica research guys used pigs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am glad it worked out for you. Javelinas are dangerous, I was told that there are more people killed by them than bear. I have never looked it up to see if it was true. I was told because people don't take them seriously, get knocked down and tore up.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZwildcat View Post
    I used my hiking stick and beat on the Javelina until he finally took off and I was able to grab my dog.
    Did you have no gun on you or just decided the stick was the best option? Glad to hear your dog is OK.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZwildcat View Post
    I was hiking in the mountains near my home in Southern AZ with my dog. We encountered a herd of Javelina (sort of a wild boar) and my dog went after them. The male of the group of Javelina tore into the dog and they were biting and slashing each other. I used my hiking stick and beat on the Javelina until he finally took off and I was able to grab my dog. He was really beat up and badly cut from tusk wounds. I treated him like a would a human who suffered gashes like his and I pressed a couple of Quikclot sponges into his wounds. His blood clotted just like a person's.

I have used Quikclot for several years as part of my own medicine cabinet supplies and also in my gobag first-aid kit. For those unfamiliar with the product, it is gauze that is impregnated with kaolin which causes the blood to clot. The U.S. military has used it for a number years in Iraq and Afganistan and it is now available for civilian purchase. I bought some because I have an artificial valve in my heart and am forced to use Coumadin blood thinner. Any cut can be a bleeding problem and Quikclot is the most effective, easiest to use product I have found to stop that bleeding.

I had not planned on using it on my dog, but had no choice and was relieved that it worked so well. I was able to bandage him and carry him to a veternarian where he got a bunch of stitches and shots. I have since found that Z-Medica, the company that makes Quikclot now has a product called "Petclot". I don't know if it is somehow different from the human used product, but I'm going to get some because I love to hike with my dog and I am a believer in trying to be prepared for stuff that happens.
    Well, well, well, I am glad to have read this. I also have an artificial heart valve (mitral) and frequently take my dog hiking. We have a lot of snakes, coyotes, Pitbulls, etc that could pose a problem. Guess I better buy some of that Quikclot. Thanks for the tip. My Protime was borderline high last time.
    Last edited by rljatl; 06-26-10 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I'm glad to hear your dog will recover, and that you were not injured.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 06-26-10 at 12:22. Reason: brain-dead without coffee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'm glad to hear your dog will recover, and that you were injured.
    That is not very nice
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Sigh.....

Thanks for the heads up. This is what happens when you post before finishing your morning coffee.

Javelina are nothing to mess with. I grew up in West Texas, and had some run-ins with them as a boy.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for the reminder to carry basic first aid stuff even when just walking the dog (although our fauna and flora is a lot less dangerous than its US counterpart). Which size/weight did you use? I am considering getting the 50g. Sports sponges. Looking for a good compromise for daily cargo pant carry.
    my enmity is only against Tyranny, where ever I find it, wheter in Emperour, King, Prince, Parliament, Presbyters, or People.
    Richard Overton, 1646

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Glad you had it on you.

Never thought of being able to use it on the dog if he ever was wounded.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast