Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590 Special Purpose

Feedback Score

Mossberg 590 Special Purpose

My son and I were looking at one of these at the store. We're looking for a shotgun that is inexpensive for training purposes and is fairly reliable. Anyone have experience with this model and can I get some feedback?
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    I've owned 2 manufacturers' pump shotguns. Remington and Mossberg.
    I've owned the 500 and 590 from Mossberg, and 870's from Remington.

I prefer the Mossberg safety. Amidextrous and always visible.
    The 590 and 500 actions were fairly stiff when operating the actions of the versions I owned. This operation resistance of the action got better with use. The 590 I believe had more steel used in it's construction for increased durability and longevity for military use. I don't believe it was something I noticed while operating the gun. Any increase in weight of the 590 compared to the 500 (for me) went unnoticed.
    I recall the large knurled magazine tube cap was easy to manipulate during disassembly for cleaning. My version had a large front site ramp with an orange color. I don't recall if it was a sticker or paint on the ramp. It was great with the ghost-ring rear, and was head and shoulders above the Benelli ghost-ring for sighting and appearance of robustness IMO.

Out of the box the 870 action is pretty smooth. This is what I own now. Both 590 and 870 are pretty easy to recommend.
    For training purposes, WalMart I'm assuming still has 870 Express guns for sale on the cheap.

Feedback Score
    I've had the 590SP with Ghost Ring sights and it was an excellent shotgun for the money, though I would prefer the steel-reinforced 590A1 model which also features a steel trigger guard and tang safety. Best thing about the 590 is you could attach an AR-15 bayonet to it.

Feedback Score
    I'm waiting for my 590A1 now, the delivery got pushed back due to inventory. Hopefully by this Thursday- waiting sucks!!
    NRA,PAFOA,EMT-P, LPN

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've owned four different Mossbergs. (Two 590's and two 500's)

I've owned a whole slew of different 870's, and still have three.

On every Mossberg I owned, the safety broke in half at the screw hole.

Feedback Score
    We used 590s with steel safetys in Panama that each saw over 3500 rounds per year (3/5 Target loads, 1/5 00B, 1/5 Slug) in training and never had any issues with them during the three years that I was there. If you purchase a 590 vice 590A1 purchase a VangComp Steel safety for it. I'd also VangComp the barrel as well.

I own two 870s personnally, but have no issues with the 590 based on my experience with them in training and during an operational environment.

S/F

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a number of Mossbergs in service, an assortment of mil-spec 590A1's, 590 "Special Purpose"'s, 590DA, 555 Western Field, and some 500 Mariners. Most were acquired as we replaced aging 870's through attrition, some were odd buys. Standardization with the 590A1 is in progress.

From a maintenance/wear perspective, I've had to replace extractors with some regularity as the guns age. Mag springs need annual replacement, and I'm unhappy with their durability. Especially the 8rd tubes. Extra-power are a good idea. Other parts have held up well. I've not had any concerns over the durability of the plastic trigger group and safety vice the metal. The Scattergun (or equivalent) high-visibility follower is a must have IMHO. On the GRS guns, watch for the mount screws to loosen with harder use. A little loc-tite is necessary.

Bore dimensions seem to vary quite a bit between models, mic their entire length if using LTL or other specialty munitions. The barrels themselves vary as well. The heavy, thick-walled barrel is indeed so, and it feels and performs differently than the lighter weight commercial.

I don't find much advantage to the mariner finish. In the heat of summer and deep freeze of winter, I've not developed and corrosion on any of the mariner guns or park'ed guns. The blued go to crap in a hurry. I've quit buying mariners and blued guns.

Some neighboring agencies use these and others. They have had good luck, and make most of the same observations, depending on intensity of use.

Hope this helps.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score

Feedback

This is great info guys. It helps me out alot. I'm not a shotgun guy so getting a decent one to start off with will be a good intro for me. Thanks!!! I'll keep checking back for further posts.
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score

590 SP vs. 590A1

What is "steel reinforced" on the A1? Other than the "steel reinforced', what if any, are the significant differences between these two models. When I checked the catalog of my local distributor, there is about a $100 difference between these two models. For $100 more, what am I getting?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I would look for a used Rem 870 Police. You can probably find one for around $300.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast