Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we have more "official" threads?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Should we have more "official" threads?

We had one for Spike's and we have at least two current; one for DPMS/Oly and one for "first time buyers". We even have picture threads which pretty much fall in the same category. and some sort of lesser demons like the load carriage thread, first-line belt thread, etc.

The Gear Heads thread was an epic use of this, but the member that started it and kept feeding it got fed up and left. It served very well to keep all the off-topic discussion of cars in one place.

Should we have more? Would it cut down on repeat threads, and repeat arguments? I'd suggest:
    1. Steel-cased ammo
    2. Bolt-tail scraping
    3. Which rail system is best?
    4. Which stock is best?
    5. Which pistol-grip is best?
    6. Which Aimpoint mount do you use? (with sub-topic of absolute vs. lower 1/3)
    7. Which BUIS do you use? (with sub-topic of flip vs. fixed)
    8. Which 5.56 suppressor should I buy for my AR?

I'm not suggesting that these stay locked, but instead are used to contain the discussions and allow an easy place to go and find the entire history of the topic at hand. Even as an older member here I think it would be awesome to be able to easily find the genesis of things. If we had a thread, for example, on stocks it would be really interesting to have a continuous record of the changes people go through as the market changes and new products become available.

ETA:
    I have made the items above hotlinks where I think we already have a good thread going that would be a good "official" thread. If you have specific threads that you think merit "official" status let's get some links posted so there can be some discussion.
    Last edited by rob_s; 12-28-10 at 05:16.

Feedback Score

I Like the idea

I like the idea of cutting back on repeat threads...
    The theory behind your idea is sound and if it works out, finding all threads with a similiar subject in one area is a plus as well.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I see a poll as being helpful in a stickied "official" thread like a stock or buis thread. When reading some of the monster threads here it would be helpful to weed out posts only stating "I only use XXXXXX" and +1's. It would be appropriate to actually post if you have more information such as I use XXXXX and sometimes YYYYYYY or other actual experience.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Good idea. Would reduce repeat topics.

Feedback Score
    and a you-tube thread, please...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Yes, please on Rob's suggestion.

We could also can General Discussion and let those who need to pontificate get their own blogs.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    I think that's a great idea, Rob; and likewise I see the value in the consolidation of that sort of information.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I'd also add "The Official Best:
    - Barrels" (Sub-group Target, SBR, SS, CL, CHF, etc.)
    - AR Tools"
    - Lubes and Cleaners" (Sub-group Oils, Greases, Solvents, etc.)
    - Triggers" (Sub-group Battle, Target, Competition, etc.)
    - Magazines (Sub-group USGI, Polymer, non-5.56, etc.)
    - "Gunsmith Services"
    - ??

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Here's the "best of lubes" sticky:

It does NOT MATTER what you lube you use; just run it wet.
    Done.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Here's the "best of lubes" sticky:

Done.
    ================================

I agree 100% ... but we need somewhere for some people to talk about how their Great Great PayPaw's Civil War magic goat urine and lard mixture lubricated the Mercury Space Capsules, prevents rust on submarines and cures most cancers??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast