Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I Need To Stop Chewing (Tobacco)!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I stopped dipping by starting smoking. I decided that lung cancer was a less immediate health concern.

Honestly, I haven't quit yet, but I'm a situational/bored addict. I can go for a long time without nicotine right until I drive, drink, eat, or take a break. So chances are that I'm not really addicted, I just like it. Convince yourself that you don't like it and I think you won't have any problems.

Good luck...let us know if you discover a super quitting method. Try to not eat yourself into oblivion....

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I've been there. I did the same thing but rather than quit cold turkey, I progressively slowed my habit before the quit date.

For example...if you chew 20 times a day, slow it down to 10 times a day and make it every 1.5 hours with the last chew coming right before bed. This will help you get to sleep.

Keep cutting back till you hit your quit date. Ideally you should only have 1 or 2 chews the day before you quit. It will be hard to stop on the 5th if you go crazy and chew a couple cans on the 4th.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    I stopped dipping by starting smoking. I decided that lung cancer was a less immediate health concern.

Honestly, I haven't quit yet, but I'm a situational/bored addict. I can go for a long time without nicotine right until I drive, drink, eat, or take a break. So chances are that I'm not really addicted, I just like it. Convince yourself that you don't like it and I think you won't have any problems.

Good luck...let us know if you discover a super quitting method. Try to not eat yourself into oblivion....
    Yep. I could quit in a heart beat....with a pack of Camel's. I am a slave to this shit. It needs to stop.

It is funny how I can make life and death decisions, calmly go head first into situations most folks run from and grin in the face of danger, yet I can't stop putting this nasty shit in my mouth. I would like to think I have more will power and control. Like it? I love it. And I hate it. It is a pain in my ass, mouth and pocket book.

I need to get back in shape and healthy again. Thanks for the encouragement.

I hate Copenhagen.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    One day at a time gentlemen.

Been there done that; both chew and cigs. I quit cigs by going back to chewing then quit chewing and drinking about the same time.

Do it for yourself and not for anyone else.

Although it may still be a bit attractive after a number of years, you cannot imagine how great it feels to be rid of the stuff!!!!

I remember being hungover from both nicotine and alcohol, never knew which one was worse since they were always combined.

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    Don't be a pansy. Quit the shit with me. For the baby....
    Consider it a date. I just hit Shooters and Ceol Irish pub and I can tell you that Reno's a shithole! LOL! I'll be drinking & smoking my face off til the 5th and then it's game over... see ya in a few weeks and nicotine free!

Feedback Score

Nice.

Feedback Score

What to expect for the first 100 days

From www.killthecan.org

I registered there; User name 10ninety6.

What To Expect When You Quit Dipping

So you want to quit. And you would like to know what it's like. We're not going to pull any punches around here, it's tough. That's why we're all here.

Days 1 through 3 - Pure hell. You will walk in the fog. Nothing will seem real. You're brain is wondering where the hell its fix is and it is going to punish you until you come up with it. 72 hours, that's all you need to get the nicotine out of your system. This is the only time you will go through physical withdrawal. Drink lots of water. Read, post, read and post. Don't take your anger out on your loved ones. We always tell everyone.........Make this quit about YOU. If you quit for your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, kids, mommy or daddy, you will resent them during this period. Quit for yourself and come in here to rant. Yell at us. Bitch at us. We can take it. We've been there.

Days 4 through 20 - Here comes the mind games. The nicotine is out of your system now. You will still have some physical things to deal with.

Cravings
    Irritability,
    Insomnia
    Fatigue
    Inability to Concentrate
    Headache
    Sore throat
    Constipation, gas, stomach pain
    Dry mouth
    Sore tongue and/or gums
    Yep, you have this to look forward to. Your brain is rewiring itself. It isn't used to being in an oxygen rich environment. Your body is responding in kind. Everything is a mind game now. All the cravings you have are actually due to triggers. Triggers are events where you are in a situtation you would normally dip in. Mowing the grass, playing poker online, playing golf, working on the car.........you get the picture. Keep drinking water, use seeds, the fake stuff, whatever you need to keep the dip out of your mouth. Remember, oral fixation is part of our habit, something you will eventually need to break. For now though, use all the tools you have.

Days 20 - 50 - You're winning. Life isn't great, but you probably had a couple of nights where you actually got some sleep. You might notice you're going to bed earlier than you normally do. Not staying up to get in that last dip. You may notice some sores in your mouth. You're thinking, "great, I quit dipping and now I have cancer." You almost certainly don't. Your mouth is healing itself. Tiny ulcers you've had for a long time are healing. We recommend you visit your dentist around the 30 day mark. Don't be a pansy, just do it. He or she will be very supportive and they can explain the sores much better than we can. Don't let your guard down. Don't go out drinking with the fellas or the girls. We also recommend that you don't drink for at least the first 50 days. Drinking is a huge trigger event and it weakens your resolve.

Days 50 - 70 - Cruise control. Life is really good. You still think about it, but this is good stuff here. Some people may suffer anxiety attacks during or a little before this stage. Some doctors say we dipped to relieve anxiety anyway. Some people can push right through this, others need a little help. Talk to your doctor before you quit or immediately after you quit. They will know what to do. Some give Wellbutrin or Lexapro. Lots of people in the support community take or have taken these medicines and can help you with the affects. Don't wait till you get to this stage of the game to talk to a doctor. You'll cruise through this stage much easier if you know how to take care of the anxiety or at least know it's coming.

Days 70 - 90 - Late term craves, the doldrums, the blahs, the blues. Some people end up feeling like they are right back at day 1. The fog, the haze, the craves. It can be a tough time. You need to let people in your group know this is happening. Time to circle the wagons to get through it. It usually only lasts a few days. Fight through this and make sure your order your Commemorative HOF Knife or Coin.

Days 90 - HOF - Houston, resume the countdown. Enjoy the hell out of these last 10 days. You will be celebrating with your group as you all enter the HOF. It is a great feeling and an accomplishment you should not take lightly. Do something special for yourself and your family. They put up with your sorry ass for the last 90 days and they deserve something too.

100+ Days - Stay vigilant. Use the tools you have, to continue beating back any cravings or urges. You will still experience dip dreams and longings, but you are fully qualified to beat them down. Continue to post roll with your group. Get into the newer groups and help somebody out. Pass it along. Live the dream.

Feedback Score
    You just have to decide on a day to quit and not buy anymore after that. Then spend 3 or 4 days of biting people's heads off for saying Good Morning! How are you?

If you still have an family and friends after that you should be home free.

I am a firm believer in the idea of "My Time To Quit". You just have to stick with it.

Now I am working on my Mt Dew addiction.......... you think Cope is hard to kick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ah, a topic here at M4C.net for which I am finally a SME . I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversay of quitting the dip train. I was doing a can a day for 12 years and before that had been smoking for the previous 12 years. I wasn't just a dipper I was a swallower (that's what she said!) and was sure I would die of stomach cancer before oral cancer. If I was awake I had a dip in.

Anyway, I had all but given up on ever being able to quit until I talked about it with my doctor. He suggested I give Chantix a shot. It's a med that is usually used for smoking cessesation and he wasn't sure it would really work with smokeless tobacco but he still suggested I try it. Tell you what that shit was a miracle drug for me. With Chantix you continue with tobacco through the first week or so while you are on the drug and then you quit cold. I haven't had a craving for nicotine since the day I took my last dip. I continued on Chantix for about 3 months and haven't had any nicotine since and don't miss it. Apparently it only works in about 60% of the people who use it, but if your in that 60% it can change your life and I don't say that lightly.
    Last edited by vaglocker; 07-01-10 at 11:28.
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One more thing. When I was on Chantix I also was using the mint leaf snuff as a security blanket, but stopped using that pretty much the same time I came off the drug.
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast