Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: I Need To Stop Chewing (Tobacco)!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As a Seatlle native, that's the best news I've heard all day! Who'd of thunk it... something I truely enjoy is good for me! I only drink 2-3 large cups in the AM and water the rest of the day, so I think I'm on track.

I never thought I'd be motivated to quit chewing on this forum, but this thread has really got me thinking that I can pull it off. Thank you all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am glad I found this thread. I have been a 1-2 can a day dipper for nearly 20 years. Despite numerous pleas from wife and kids I have been unfortunate to fall off the wagon every time I get on it.

recently I went in for a physical and talked with my doc about strange things I have noticed about my legs. They started turning wierd colors down by my ankles, especially around where my socks end on my leg. And my legs started swelling around the same area. Turns out I have some sort of degenerative damage to my veins especially in that area because gravity draws blood down. the veins don't have what ever it takes to get the blood circulating back north again anymore.

I'm a fairly healthy man and can assume that the nicotine is a good prime suspect for this condition. My doctor agreed. It's time to quit. My plan is simple: I'm giving my wife my atm card. That's it. If I can't buy it, I can't dip it. Wish me luck guys and I hope my story will be of some motivation to others as yours has been to me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I wish you luck... and pray for those around you.

Feedback Score
    My last dip was 3-11-2011. That makes 4 1/2 days w/o a dip so far. Strategy so far has been self imposed isolation from external stimuli, and two, 2 mg. nicorette gum twice a day. I'm not real happy substituting the gum for the chew, but I'm not using any where near the 4 mg. gum every one to two hrs. as directed on the gum box. The gum is so nasty tasting that it's curtailed my dip desire very well so far. I'll stay on the gum a little while longer and then wean myself off of the gum. Compared to the chew in my mouth every waking moment I think I'm doing good so far. This thread did give me some impetus to stop, so thanks fellow dipoholics and fellow patriots:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Atchcraft View Post
    I wish you luck... and pray for those around you.
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smedley View Post
    My last dip was 3-11-2011. That makes 4 1/2 days w/o a dip so far. Strategy so far has been self imposed isolation from external stimuli, and two, 2 mg. nicorette gum twice a day. I'm not real happy substituting the gum for the chew, but I'm not using any where near the 4 mg. gum every one to two hrs. as directed on the gum box. The gum is so nasty tasting that it's curtailed my dip desire very well so far. I'll stay on the gum a little while longer and then wean myself off of the gum. Compared to the chew in my mouth every waking moment I think I'm doing good so far. This thread did give me some impetus to stop, so thanks fellow dipoholics and fellow patriots:-)
    Congrats! Careful with the gum. I was doing good too.....I'm still chewing that shit (4mg gum). The Walmart brand fruit chill nico-gum is delicious.

No chewing though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I know this thread has been quiet for a while but I'm trying my hand at quitting. It's been 12 days so far, no physical symptoms to speak of, but spending hours a day in the car (which is where I always chewed) is killing me.

Feedback Score
    Bubble gum and beef jerky are your friends for that.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc3 View Post
    I know this thread has been quiet for a while but I'm trying my hand at quitting. It's been 12 days so far, no physical symptoms to speak of, but spending hours a day in the car (which is where I always chewed) is killing me.
    Good luck! No physical symptoms? Lucky man!!! It can be done.I am successfully off of the fake chew now too. It is awesome. It is worth the struggle. Keep your chin up.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotguyo540 View Post
    Good luck! No physical symptoms? Lucky man!!! It can be done.I am successfully off of the fake chew now too. It is awesome. It is worth the struggle. Keep your chin up.

Thanks. Gonna try to get by those tough times with some gum and maybe a few sunflower seeds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    man i dont know what people see in chewing, i dont get it , just seems like a waste

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast