Thread: 7.62x39 AR Pistol coming together. UPDATE 7162010 2300hrs

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

7.62x39 AR Pistol coming together. UPDATE 7162010 2300hrs

I've received notification that my barrel is finished from being chopped to 10.5" or so and threaded 1/2x36 for a 9mm flash hider I got from brownells. So, i'll be mocking up my pistol build tonight. Pictures to follow. No BCG or CH yet but here's the specs:

TNW lower
    A2 pistol grip
    DPMS LPK
    LMT upper
    YHM specter LW forearm
    Wilson Arms carbine length gas barrel chopped to 10.5"
    Streamlight TLR-1 w/remote switch
    Soon: Aimpoint Comp M2
    Brownells 9mm flash hider
    CProd magazines (10 and 25rd)

Pics to follow tonight
    Last edited by LMTRocks; 07-16-10 at 21:59.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's the nearly completed piece. It's 28.25" long and the 30mm ring is missing the Aimpoint Comp M2. TLR-1. Hopefully soon a TLR-1s will be taking it's place. Can't wait to get this thing to the range. Still need charging handle and badger tac latch and bolt carrier group. That'll come in the following weeks. OD Green rail ladders by Tony's Custom Ladders. They're nice to put on and hold very well. Not pictured is an OD sling by Northeast Tactical. Single point.

Last edited by LMTRocks; 07-01-10 at 23:52.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My Vortex Strikefire RD is now residing on the upper. I couldn't stand to see an empty ring on the upper any longer Put a full mag in it also. Seems like it's extremely maneuverable. I'm going to like blasting 123gr HPs through this

30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And because someone was asking in another subforum, discreet carry.

30" walmart black bag. $14. 3 mags, AR pistol. Haven't cut another piece of foam to secure the items while in transport so they're not bouncing around hitting each other like they might.

30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been on TOS a bunch recently due to a few people helping me out in figuring gas port sizes and such. The weapon has transformed a little bit in the way of an Aimpoint Comp M2, a larger gas port to 0.938 (3/32") from 2mm (.0787), and some additional rail ladders. A foam buffer tube cover will be in tomorrow likely from jsesurplus.com but if not tomorrow then Monday. It's been to the range 3x and the feedramps have been dremel'd to match better. I did take a couple coils off the carbine spring to help with the gas issue. Still did the same occasional FTFeed due to short stroking. I am also running my Alexander Arms full auto carrier with the 7.62x39 bolt in it.

I was having some FTFeed early on because the ramps weren't at all close. And short stroking. Everything I read later told me that this system needs the gas port enlarged to over .090 and 3/32 fit the bill perfectly. Some ARs in 76239 also have a monolithic feed ramp rather than M4 ramps. I might be making that modification later but for now I'm sticking with M4 ramps. Here's a few photos for those considering an AR pistol. It definitely doesn't look as good as others I see on here but for the mean time here goes

I call it OD Green with Envy
    Aimpoint Comp M2 not pictured

Last edited by LMTRocks; 07-16-10 at 22:28.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's a cost list.

TNW virgin lower 85
    Card Forge Upper 60
    LPK 60
    YHM rail 99
    9mm FH 45
    RE 20
    Castle Nut 5
    Ambi sling plate 7
    Comp M2 340 (new!)
    Foam 6
    Ergo 15
    Ladders 15
    buffer/spring 0---gift
    TLR-1 85 (friend in the trade)
    Barrel 205 including machining
    BCG/CH 185 with 7.62x39 enhanced firing pin

At this point $1233 plus little bits of shipping in there. I'd guesstimate about $50 in shipping thru the whole package. Not bad. I did get a delta ring and a handguard cap because I wasn't sure if I wanted the YHM rail or not. And it would've gotten me to shoot it faster, but after seeing the YHM Specter rail and knowing I wanted to have the FH sticking out from it I knew that I'd be getting one. www.jsesurplus.com has some really good prices on a lot of this stuff.

The rail ladders are only $3 each. I wanted OD green because I had an OD sling. A NIB Aimpoint Comp M2 at Sportsman's Warehouse was also a really great find. I will be adding some MBUS sights too. Found the YHM rail to be the easiest rail I've ever put on outside of a DD Omega. It's solid, and my armorer's wrench worked perfectly for it so I didn't have to spend more $$ there. 1 benjamin. Foam cover for $6. I might add the YHM cap to the end but since this is a HBAR profile barrel I decidedly want to keep the weight down. It is a little front heavy.

Here's a few shots of it being nearly complete

30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Range Report

This puppy cycled perfectly today. Zero failures to feed during my range test. The foam cover is very nice for your cheek. And the recoil is a donkey's kick. Very manageable under rapid fire. And the trigger is nice. Glad it's done! Until I get my stamp collection started.....
    Last edited by LMTRocks; 07-22-10 at 00:01.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.