Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: my first post here...finally...and lookin for a little help

Feedback Score

my first post here...finally...and lookin for a little help

This is my first post here....found the site the other day and jsut got my account activated....lots of great info here....im getting ready to build an AR...its main use is jsut gonna be target shooting and paper punching....something like a 400-500 yard gun or so just a toy really....this is the first time im messin around with the AR stuff so i been doin as much lookin and research as i can on what all i need to get it done.....was hopeing that some of you all could check out the list of parts i have and make sure i got it all.....i know ill have to have some tools as well but thats fine...but dont have them in my list yet...still got to find all of what i need as far as tools go....but here is my list......im not particular to any brand what so ever so if you all know where i can get a better deal on parts that are jsut as good as what i have here please post them up...i need all the help i can get...all of this stuff is off of Midway USAs website...if i can find it cheaper somewhere else thats even better so post up them links fellas......heres my wish list......am i missing anything?

Stripped lower from here locally...bout $80-$90

Advanced Technology Strikeforce 6-Position Collapsible Buttstock Assembly Commercial Diameter AR-15 Carbine Synthetic Black....$64.99

Midwest Industries Low Profile Gas Block AR-15 Standard Barrel .750" Inside Diameter Matte...$40.00

Bushmaster Bolt Carrier Assembly AR-15 223 Remington Matte...$138.99

AR-Stoner Barrel AR-15 223 Remington (Wylde) HBAR Contour 1 in 8" Twist 20" Stainless Steel...$219.99

Yankee Hill Machine Customizable Free Float Tube Handguard AR-15 Rifle Length Aluminum Matte....$147.99

DPMS Gas Tube Roll Pin AR-15...$1.99

DPMS Gas Tube Rifle AR-15....$11.99

Daniel Defense Upper Receiver Assembled AR-15 A4 Flattop Matte...$114.00

Noveske Charging Handle Assembly AR-15 Aluminum Matte....$24.99

DPMS Lower Receiver Parts Kit AR-15....$52.99 (on sale)

Yankee Hill Machine Muzzle Brake-Flash Hider Phantom 5C2 Aggressive 1/2"-28 Thread AR-15 Parkerized.....$26.99
    Last edited by champ198; 07-03-10 at 11:02.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Welcome to M4C.

If I may be so bold to make a few suggestions, you can spend the same money, and get items of higher quality. You might want to look into:

BCM full-auto bolt carrier group - same price, and much better quality.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...0auto%20mp.htm

Magpul MOE stock in a mil-spec diameter - a stronger part, and easier to interchange.

KAC RAS factory second - http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/inde...products_id=32

I'd save up a bit more money, and get a LPK from Grant at G&R tactical. I have bought and installed three of them, and been quite happy. Their quality is significantly higher than DPMS.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...rchResult.html

There are some really smart folks here that can offer very sound advice. You might want to search for some build posts from the following people: Iraqgunz, gotm4, CI4Grant, and probably a few others whose names escape me. You can take their advice to the bank.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 07-03-10 at 11:34. Reason: added links

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That ATI stock assembly should go, I recommend that you go to Bravocompanyusa.com and some of the other sites listed above. For instance you can do much better than that Bushmaster BCG with Daniel Defense and Bravo Company. Look at Rainier Arms, and GRTactical too. Shop with companies that specialize in the AR platform, not an all-inclusive parts house.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Oh, and here is a great pair of barrels for only about 10 bucks more. They are lighter, and probably better steel. Plus they are high-pressure tested, and magnetic particle inspected as well.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...d-16%20std.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...16lw%20std.htm

I have carbines with both of these barrels. BCM is an excellent company, and stands behind what they sell. You can buy their gear, and have confidence in what you get.

I know you said that this would likely be a carbine you just have fun with. But if you can spend the same amount of cash, why not buy something you can stake your life on? It's just smart economics.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Here's a pair of threads that have some great info for you, regarding builds and specifications. I think they might be of assistance when you want to chose parts as well.

gotm4's post on picking tools. Robb's a terrific guy, and has done work on my weapons. Highly recommended!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7463

Shivan put together a great collection of good threads on parts and build procedures. Very handy, and I refer to this a lot.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

And don't forget to have a lot of fun putting it together!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "am i missing anything?"

Sights/Optic

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    "am i missing anything?"

Sights/Optic
    its going to be strictly a scoped gun and i have some that will work till i get the one i want...got that one figured out too.....im looking for a 20" barrel....i kind of got a picture in my head jsut trying to figure out what all i need to get it on the workbench.

i have heard more than once on the BCM BCG so ill look into that as well as the buttstock and get some better ones...i want to go with a 20" barrel...jsut personal preferance really jsut like the looks of a long gun myself

thanks a bunch for the links and info everyone keep them up its helping a bunch

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Not a problem. Keep an eye on the Equipment Exchange here, and you can find pieces/parts as people modify their stuff, and sell off the old parts.

Be cautious about scoring parts off ebay - there are a lot of airsoft knockoffs, that less that scrupulous sellers will attempt to pass off as real. If the price looks "too good" it almost always is.

That's why I'm a big fan of buying stuff from the site sponsors here, or the members in the EE. The rip-off quotient is dramatically lower.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by champ198 View Post

Stripped lower from here locally...bout $80-$90

Daniel Defense Upper Receiver Assembled AR-15 A4 Flattop Matte...$114.00

Noveske Charging Handle Assembly AR-15 Aluminum Matte....$24.99
    These are the only parts worth keeping, and really there is noting special about the Noveske CH, so there are options out there with a tangible benefit over that particular one.

The rest of the list is, unfortunately, devoid of anything I would recommend to anyone that actually planned to shoot their rifle.
    A look around the site and a few searches will give you more information than I care to type on my iPhone on the matter.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    These are the only parts worth keeping, and really there is noting special about the Noveske CH, so there are options out there with a tangible benefit over that particular one.

The rest of the list is, unfortunately, devoid of anything I would recommend to anyone that actually planned to shoot their rifle.
    A look around the site and a few searches will give you more information than I care to type on my iPhone on the matter.
    your kidding right?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast