Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tampa Area Gunshops?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Tampa Area Gunshops?

Anybody know of a reputable gun dealer in the Tampa area? I'm willing to travel a ways if theyre a good company. I'm comming home on leave for four days in early August and want to buy an HK P30.

Cheers
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 08-14-11 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your best bet is to see what the fire arm you want is going for at places like Bud's gun shop or Gunbroker or Guns America. Then you can visit various shops and see if they will meet or beat the price (I always include the FFL transfer fee and shipping). If they will then buy from them. I have found the guys at Florida Survivalist in Dunedin to be good about this. You can also check out Wain Roberts Firearms in Pinellas Park. I'll let others speak up about other shops but the more I think about it, SS is the 800lb gorilla in Tampa. The rest of the shops that I know about are in Pinellas County. If all else fails and no one will bargain then buy on line and have it shipped to an FFL. I know Land O Lakes gun and pawn will do the transfer for $20.

Feedback Score
    I agree with HES. Your best bet is to buy online, have the weapon shipped, hopefully for free from the online vendor, and call around and see what the shops are charging for a firearms transfer fee. Some charge as high as $100.00, but can be found for as little as $35.00.

Stay the hell away from Shoot Straight.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    I agree with HES. Your best bet is to buy online, have the weapon shipped, hopefully for free from the online vendor, and call around and see what the shops are charging for a firearms transfer fee. Some charge as high as $100.00, but can be found for as little as $35.00.

Stay the hell away from Shoot Straight.
    is there anybody in the area that you would recommend for a transfer?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If you want to travel to Sarasota, I have a dealer who only charges $20 for transfers and he is already set up with Bud's.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK View Post
    If you want to travel to Sarasota, I have a dealer who only charges $20 for transfers and he is already set up with Bud's.
    PM inbound. I got some questions on how the process of purchasing a firearm online works.

Feedback Score
    apparently a new one opened up a few weeks back on the other side of Jefferson bank on the intersection of Forest Lakes and Tampa road. I went in there, he had a bunch of handguns, don't remember any Hk's though. Everything seemed ok until he pulled out his CCW and it was a FN 5.7. The way he talked about it made it sound like it was a howitzer in a handgun
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    is there anybody in the area that you would recommend for a transfer?
    I know a shop in Clearwater that that does them for $35.00, but that would be dependent on your location. Do a Google search of gunshops in your area, and start calling to see what they charge. If near Sarasota, go with DJK's advise, it's the lowest I've heard in the Tampa Bay's area.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    Here is the thing about Shoot Straight. They list retail prices, and I'm sure that they get plenty of walk-in customers who pay sticker. But the reality is, they are a huge operation, and have a lot of buying power. They are more interested in volume, then selling one gun for a huge profit. If you are there, and see what you want, try to bargain with them some...can't hurt to ask right? I have been successful with this at the gun show anyways, they were willing to beat the best price I could fund by $10.

Having said that, I don't think even they can beat Bud's current sales prices on P30s. I know, because I have a P30L en route as we speak, and trust me, I shopped around.

For transfers, give Vic an email, he is a good guy, with a very small shop, and he does transfers for $25. Tell him I sent ya if you like. Here is his website: http://www.floridaammotraders.com/ He is already on file with most online retailers, including Bud's, and if not he will send it off ASAP.

Just out of curiosity, I have a question. Since you say you are on leave, where is your actual residence? Are you eligible to purchase a handgun in FL? What are you planning on doing with the weapon when your leave ends?
    Last edited by djegators; 07-11-10 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djegators View Post
    Here is the thing about Shoot Straight. They list retail prices, and I'm sure that they get plenty of walk-in customers who pay sticker. But the reality is, they are a huge operation, and have a lot of buying power. They are more interested in volume, then selling one gun for a huge profit. If you are there, and see what you want, try to bargain with them some...can't hurt to ask right? I have been successful with this at the gun show anyways, they were willing to beat the best price I could fund by $10.

Having said that, I don't think even they can beat Bud's current sales prices on P30s. I know, because I have a P30L en route as we speak, and trust me, I shopped around.

For transfers, give Vic an email, he is a good guy, with a very small shop, and he does transfers for $25. Tell him I sent ya if you like. Here is his website: http://www.floridaammotraders.com/ He is already on file with most online retailers, including Bud's, and if not he will send it off ASAP.

Just out of curiosity, I have a question. Since you say you are on leave, where is your actual residence? Are you eligible to purchase a handgun in FL? What are you planning on doing with the weapon when your leave ends?
    Thanks djegators for the info. Ill shoot him an email.

The transaction it self will be handled by my father. I'm a resident of Florida, which is where the gun will stay. Current duty station is in Great Lakes, and Ill be moving to Sandiego shortly. The gun will stay in Florida till I'm stationed in a more gun friendly state/command.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast