Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I tried the AK again, but I just can't like it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I tried the AK again, but I just can't like it.

This is the second time I tried to shoot the AK, and I am unimpressed to say the least. I purchased the AK after reading here how the Hungarian SA-85Ms were some of the better built AKs currently on the market, so when I found a 100% FEG built post-ban I grabbed it up. I added a K-Var warsaw furniture kit, Tapco G2 trigger group to get it in compliance, and a nice Specter 3 point sling. I then ordered up 1000rds of Golden Tiger to feed it.

From todays range trip I decided the following....

The safety location sucks on the AK. Period.

I can't charge the weapon while shouldered like you can with the AR15, and the bolt does not hold open on an empty magazine making quick reloads difficult.

The sight radius is poor, and I had trouble getting good hits with the AK. This may be my fault for not spending enough time with it. I also had trouble getting a fast sight picture with it, and dislike the hooded front sight.

Recoil hindered my follow up shots. I may have been spoiled by the AR-15s recoil system, so call me a wuss if you want. I am 6'00 and 240lbs, and I was shooting with a good stance and still had lots of trouble with it.

The gun was very reliable, not one malfunction in the 150rds that have been fired through it. I know the previous owner personally and he fired 10rds thru it and I fed it another 140 myself without issue.

I just can not force myself to like the weapon. I wish I would have shot it before I dropped the money on furniture, trigger, ammo, and mags, I would have saved some work and money. I guess I should probably keep it with the pending legislation, but I doubt I will shoot it again. One more gun destined for the back of the safe.....

Bulldog1967 Guest
    Hey its not for everyone.

You have to evaluate what works for you and go with that.

For me, my AK(s) are my "go-to" guns.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Don't get me wrong, I have a LOT of $$ tied up in it, so I wish I could get the hang of it. I guess its just down to personal preference.

I'm not bashing anyone who likes the AK platform, I am just venting because I am too lazy to adjust.

Feedback Score
    Some thoughts:

1) The AK is not an M4. The AK is not an M4. The AK is not an M4
    2) Reach over the top or under and behind the magazine with your off hand (if right handed) to charge the rifle
    3) Sight radius is the same as an M4 (within an inch or two), but I think because it's a notch in post instead of peep and post sight makes shots a little more difficult for us who have trained mostly on the peep and post.
    4) If you have difficulty picking up the front sight, get an XS 24/7 sight for the front (not the Big Dot, unless the 24/7 post sight isn't enough). Also, learn to use the ears of the front sight base as a sighting system (a rough one) for close in shots.
    5) Shoot it more and you'll get used to recoil. If not, get yourself a 5.45 or 5.56 AK.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake RAH View Post
    Some thoughts:

1) The AK is not an M4. The AK is not an M4. The AK is not an M4
    2) Reach over the top or under and behind the magazine with your off hand (if right handed) to charge the rifle
    3) Sight radius is the same as an M4 (within an inch or two), but I think because it's a notch in post instead of peep and post sight makes shots a little more difficult for us who have trained mostly on the peep and post.
    4) If you have difficulty picking up the front sight, get an XS 24/7 sight for the front (not the Big Dot, unless the 24/7 post sight isn't enough). Also, learn to use the ears of the front sight base as a sighting system (a rough one) for close in shots.
    5) Shoot it more and you'll get used to recoil. If not, get yourself a 5.45 or 5.56 AK.
    I second the 5.45 vote. I built a Bulgarian 5.45 rifle and I haven't shot my 7.62 rifles since. Zero zip nada recoil with the brake. It literally is like shooting an pump up air rifle. Plus the ammo is super cheap.

Fast reloads? Watch this - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rnatedrill.flv

You CAN reload an AK as fast as an AR platform rifle - it just takes more practice. I do agree that the stock safety sucks, but there are aftermarket and homegrown fixes for that.

Although I dearly love my Armalite, for TEOTWAWKI I'm grabbing my AKs. They just run forever with zero upkeep. Plus if you have to you can literally beat someone to death with the empty mags - try that with an AR

Disconnector

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    This is the second time I tried to shoot the AK, and I am unimpressed to say the least. I purchased the AK after reading here how the Hungarian SA-85Ms were some of the better built AKs currently on the market, so when I found a 100% FEG built post-ban I grabbed it up. I added a K-Var warsaw furniture kit, Tapco G2 trigger group to get it in compliance, and a nice Specter 3 point sling. I then ordered up 1000rds of Golden Tiger to feed it.

From todays range trip I decided the following....

The safety location sucks on the AK. Period.

I can't charge the weapon while shouldered like you can with the AR15, and the bolt does not hold open on an empty magazine making quick reloads difficult.

The sight radius is poor, and I had trouble getting good hits with the AK. This may be my fault for not spending enough time with it. I also had trouble getting a fast sight picture with it, and dislike the hooded front sight.

Recoil hindered my follow up shots. I may have been spoiled by the AR-15s recoil system, so call me a wuss if you want. I am 6'00 and 240lbs, and I was shooting with a good stance and still had lots of trouble with it.

The gun was very reliable, not one malfunction in the 150rds that have been fired through it. I know the previous owner personally and he fired 10rds thru it and I fed it another 140 myself without issue.

I just can not force myself to like the weapon. I wish I would have shot it before I dropped the money on furniture, trigger, ammo, and mags, I would have saved some work and money. I guess I should probably keep it with the pending legislation, but I doubt I will shoot it again. One more gun destined for the back of the safe.....
    I can understand your frustration but an AK class with Larry Vickers or Pat Rogers may well change your opinion on running the gun.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    In an effort to be open minded and learn something here....

My SA-85M does not have a threaded barrel or any muzzle device. I wonder if a good brake or flash supressor with a closed bottom would increase my follow up shot times, and reduce the recoil.

I think the rear sight being further away from my eye may be a problem as well. My vision is not the best as-is anyway. Maybe a Mojo rear sight, with the XS 24/7 front would solve that problem.

I guess it comes down to this big question.....

Do I want to keep modifying the rifle to try and solve my personal issues, or should I just trade it for another M4 and be done with it before I put even more money into it.

Thanks for your time, I guess I will sleep on it.

Feedback Score
    I have AR and AK. I find that they are two totally different animals.

If you evaluate them on their own merrits, they are both OK.

As for AK issues. I don't like the sights. When moving fast, I shoot it high.

As far as AK recoil, although I notice the difference, it doesn't bother me. I write it off as more terminal performance. I have shot a deer with a 7.62x39, I was very happy. I am sure the 5.56 can take a deer, but the 7.62 was very effective.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    In an effort to be open minded and learn something here....

My SA-85M does not have a threaded barrel or any muzzle device. I wonder if a good brake or flash supressor with a closed bottom would increase my follow up shot times, and reduce the recoil.

I think the rear sight being further away from my eye may be a problem as well. My vision is not the best as-is anyway. Maybe a Mojo rear sight, with the XS 24/7 front would solve that problem.

I guess it comes down to this big question.....

Do I want to keep modifying the rifle to try and solve my personal issues, or should I just trade it for another M4 and be done with it before I put even more money into it.

Thanks for your time, I guess I will sleep on it.
    I guess I must ask you, do you modify your M4 to suit your needs or do you leave it bone stock?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Opie, Snake RAH is dead on - IT'S NOT AN M4. Once you get past that hurdle and learn how to run it like an AK, you might actually LIKE it.

I was pretty much of the same opinion about AK's up until a month or so ago, but I emptied my mind, so to speak, and did some research and asked around about how to run an AK like an AK. Once I did that, I was amazed at how effective it can be. I still can't shoot as accurately with its irons as I can with an Aimpoint/M4, and I still can't reload it as fast as an M4... But I'm only about 1 second slower in drills that include a reload and I'm plenty "combat accurate" inside 100m. I still like the M4 better, but I feel pretty confident with an AK now.

The trick is to forget everything you know about M4's beyond sight alignment and trigger control. Once I did that, I actually found it kinda fun to learn how to run a new system.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast