Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vickers Tactical/Blackwater/Grey Group Home Defense AAR

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Vickers Tactical/Blackwater/Grey Group Home Defense AAR

Just returned from a 3 day home defense class at Blackwater with LAV. This is my second time in the BW kill houses with LAV and was once again, an excellent learning experience (more on this later).

First, let's discuss getting trapped at Newport News Airport and people on planes. So I get to the airport 2hrs before my flight (2PM). I get checked in and all appears to be cool. A half hour before my flight leaves, they push it back for another 1.5hrs due to bad weather in Atlanta. Cool. Back to the bar for another adult beverage.

Board the plan. Am stuck sitting next to a lady that out weighs me. She is friendly though so I don't mind her fat rolling over into my seat. As we taxi away, the Capt. gets on and says that we are going to HOLD there for 1hr. So now I am trapped in a small seat next to a large woman. Cool.

An hour passes and they decide that they cannot fly to Atlanta so back to the Airport we go. We get off the plane and spend 45 minutes waiting for word to leave. Back to the bar I go.

Get word to board. Get on the plan and for some reason get a new person sitting next to me. This time a thinner male. Cool. Finally some breathing room. As I am sitting there he decides that the arm rest that is between us (neutral territory in my book) is HIS + part of my seat. So I tried the friendly run into his arm with my arm to see if he gets the hint that he is in my space. No luck. For the next 1.5hrs he is in his seat and my seat. Not cool.

We make it into Atlanta (thank GOD) at 10:45. My connection flight is at 10:50 all the way across the airport. GREAT! So I run all the way to the next gate (make it) and am the last person on the plane. Of course someone is sitting in my assigned seat. Cool. I just move onto the next one. This was my mistake. I should have asked for my seat and made the person in it move. The only open seat is next to a woman that out weighs me. In fact she is so big that she cannot put the arm rest down between us. Not cool. She is however friendly and we talk a little. As we are flying the 1.5hrs to Ohio we run into some turbulence. I look over and notice that she is now looking out the window (looked forward the entire time before that). She begins to grab a hold of anything she can (like she is going to fall out of the plane). I ask her if she is afraid of flying. She says no, but does have agoraphobia (fear of open spaces). So when she looked out the window onto the ground below, she flipped out. My thought once she told me that was; "Well don't look out the FREAKING WINDOW then!"

I finally got home at 2AM after starting out at 2PM.

Did I mention that I don't like to fly???

Break Break

The class was full of quality guys that had been through Vickers classes in the past so their fundamentals and accuracy were sound. Many though had little to no CQB type experience. Not a single "that guy" in the class and was a lot of fun shooting with them.

Things to remember when clearing rooms:

1. Night sights are a good idea when trying to shoot bad people in the dark.
    2. Always go to your known.
    3. Don't stand in the hallway.
    4. Don't stand in the doorway.
    5. Know when to move fast and move slow.
    6. Communicate with your partner.
    7. Manage your ammo and keep your weapon loaded.
    8. Shoot controlled pairs (Not double taps).
    9. Watch your six.
    10. Once you own something (hallway) keep it.
    11. If you shoot a bad guy in another room, quickly get into that room.
    12. Finger straight is the most important thing. Mechanical safeties not so much.
    13. Don't let the threat suck you in.
    14. Clear your corners!
    15. Stairs suck!
    16. Watch out for midgets in hallways.

Common sayings/words heard from LAV:

1. HO-LY SHIT!
    2. WTF WAS THAT?
    3. WTF ARE YOU DOING?
    4. ARE THOSE FIBER OPTIC SIGHTS ON YOUR GUN? WTF?
    5. ARE THOSE ADJUSTABLE REAR SIGHTS ON YOUR GLOCK? WTF?
    6. THEY CAN'T HELP THEMSELVES AS THEY ARE SHOOTING STI 2011's.
    7. WHY DON'T YOU GO AND SEE IF YOU CAN PET THE MOMMA BEAR.
    8. YOUR AN ASSTOOL!
    9. THIS IS NOT A 3 GUN MATCH.

Common sayings/words heard from the students:

1. No I don't know why I did that.
    2. No I don't know what I was thinking.
    3. What is my known?
    4. That's a COP! Don't shoot it! BANG BANG BANG. What did you say?
    5. Move back. "That's a NO SHOOT!" BANG BANG BANG. What did you say?
    6. Your going which direction?

Below are pics from TD1. Warm ups, moving shooting, barricade work, etc.

LAV SHOWING US HOW IT IS DONE.

Last edited by C4IGrant; 07-14-10 at 11:16.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Last edited by VA_Dinger; 07-15-10 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

TD2 One Man/Two Man Clears.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 07-13-10 at 15:21.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

TD2/3 TWO MAN CLEARS.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 07-13-10 at 16:29.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Those targets look very good, must have been some good shooters in the class.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Those targets look very good, must have been some good shooters in the class.
    Yes. Most of the rounds that were thrown out were less than an inch (typically) and seldom happened.

C4

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Wish I could have been there; hope LAV does this class again so I can attend at a future date.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    Wish I could have been there; hope LAV does this class again so I can attend at a future date.

Ditto
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    I think he will as it went REALLY WELL.

C4

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I enjoy LAV's instruction. When he once called me "one of Jerry's kids," I didn't know whether to be ashamed or amused (I was both). Sounds like a great course.
    Last edited by chuckman; 07-13-10 at 11:52.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast