Thread: A couple more suppressor questions

Feedback Score

A couple more suppressor questions

Ok, here goes some more suppressor questions based on some things that Jeff wrote on another thread...

Do threaded on suppressors (directly to the barrel threads) have much of a POI shift? I am assuming they are less than ones that utilize a mount.

If I go with a threaded on suppressor, how easy are they to take on and off? Will taking it on and off damage it or cause unwanted wear and tear?

If I go with a threaded on suppressor, and I remove it from the gun (AR-type), should I expect anything bad other than a lot of noise? In other words, is shooting a rifle with no muzzle device a bad idea??

Thanks guys...
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeglik
    Ok, here goes some more suppressor questions based on some things that Jeff wrote on another thread...

Do threaded on suppressors (directly to the barrel threads) have much of a POI shift? I am assuming they are less than ones that utilize a mount.

>Not necessarily. I recall that Steve's M4-02 shifted quite a bit more than some of the cans we had at the time, including the OPS INC.

If I go with a threaded on suppressor, how easy are they to take on and off? Will taking it on and off damage it or cause unwanted wear and tear?

>The longer the range session, the more carbon fouling. That can lead to some difficulty in removing the can. I know that we never had any serious difficulty in installation, loosening (on it's own), or detaching. The more you use a thread, the more wear will occur. However, you'll never torque that can down enough to damage the threads. Just don't cross thread it...

If I go with a threaded on suppressor, and I remove it from the gun (AR-type), should I expect anything bad other than a lot of noise? In other words, is shooting a rifle with no muzzle device a bad idea??

>Depends how much you like fireworks, I suppose...

Thanks guys...

Damian

Feedback Score
    Oh yeah, forgot about muzzle blast. I consider that and the sound increase to be "normal", or expected. What I was wondering was whether or not it would harm the barrel or threads. My logic says no, but I've never shot one sans muzzle device, so I'm just checking.

Thanks again...
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score

Yes, no and IMO it doesnt matter. If you are buying a suppressor for a carbine, I highly doubt you will ever notice the POI shift. POI shift depends on the suppressor, the barrel, and the ammo. No matter what suppressor you choose, there will be a POI shift. Again - will you notice it? From what I have seen with several suppressors a POI shift of 2" at 100yds is extreme - a fighting carbine may shift under 1" at 50yds - does that really matter?

If I go with a threaded on suppressor, how easy are they to take on and off?

loctite it in place, and use a strap wrench if necessary to remove it. Piece of cake, no big deal.

Will taking it on and off damage it or cause unwanted wear and tear?

not if you do it properly

If I go with a threaded on suppressor, and I remove it from the gun (AR-type), should I expect anything bad other than a lot of noise?

nope, just dont expect to see anythign after your first shot fired in the dark.

In other words, is shooting a rifle with no muzzle device a bad idea??

If you are going to be practical, the thread and leave it on is the way to go. I had to rethink my M4-02 on my SBR after the first day of a carbine class. Why was I stuck holding onto an extra pound, when no one else had suppressors and I need hearing protection? I shot the second day of the class with a Gemtech G5 removed half the time.

Also, I'll opt for detachable for the cool factor - this is just a hobby to me.
    Define what you need and buy what you want. If you have more than one carbine, its easy to buy more than one quick mount, but is the extra cost of the QD worth it?

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Steve. I forgot to mention the loctite. I didn't specify the difference in POI shift because I honestly couldn't remember, and couldn't bear to be wrong...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wouldn't want to run without something on the threads, if you bang it around you could damage the threads.

If you don't want to use loctite and just leave it alone get a QD mounting silencer. If you plan on running the silencer on several different uppers get the QD.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys!
    Stephen
    Molon Labe