Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 or 6.8

Feedback Score

.308 or 6.8

For availabilty cheaper shooting and accurracy to 300-500yds. What would you recomend. I have a Sr556 debating on a complete new ar or just a upper. The 6.5grendal would be my first choice ,but amo is very scarce and expensive. Any input would be welcomed

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    .308 is cheaper to shoot right now because of all the surplus ammo on the market. 7.62 NATO will be standard issue for most western armies for a long time to come. 6.8 SPC is cheaper to manufacturer though, and if you are buying quality loadings such as OTM, SP, VMAX,...etc. the 6.8 SPC is about 25% cheaper. The 6.8 SPC is slowly gaining some acceptance. The USMC is looking at the 6.8 again as they don't seem entirely satisfied with the new 5.56 green combat load. Jordan recently contracted out the 6.8 SPC for governement use, so there is a possibilty of 6.8 surplus ammo from the middle east.

What do you want to do at 500 yards? The 5.56 in 77gr OTM has been doing decently in Afghanistan at 500-600yrds. The 6.8 is a little better overall than the 5.56, and of course the .308 is more effective at all ranges than either. .308 rifles are heavier, they have quite a bit of concussion(blast) in barrels shorter than 20", and they would not be my first choice at close range or home defense. Unless you are a hunter in open country terrain, or are involved in military operations in open country terrain, you really won't have much use for a rifle that needs to shoot beyond 300m. Unless this is for competition shooting..........

Bottom line, if 90% of what you'll be shooting is under 300yrds, I'd go with 6.8. If you are wanting to shoot game in the 500lb range or you plan on shooting a lot at ranges beyond 300m....then I'd go with .308.
    Last edited by Entropy; 07-18-10 at 14:42.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    What do you want the bullet to do in the 300-500 yard range? If paper punching, either would do. If hunting then the .308 would be a better choice. I don't think you'll find a big difference in the accuracy from either round but my personal feeling is the 6.8 wouldn't be carrying enough energy to humanely use against a deer at 500 yards though in the right platform with a 95 TTSX you'd still get expansion.

As above, ammo for the .308 is cheaper because of its popularity and the availability of surplus. Also as noted previously, if you want this to do double duty as a close up weapon the 6.8 SPC might be the superior choice.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    imo,
    The best ubiquitous answer to your question as you posed it is .308.

There several excellent choices available now that will easily meet that range criteria w/ spanking & dirt nap power.

HTH

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 boyz View Post
    For availabilty cheaper shooting and accurracy to 300-500yds. What would you recomend. I have a Sr556 debating on a complete new ar or just a upper. The 6.5grendal would be my first choice ,but amo is very scarce and expensive. Any input would be welcomed
    762/308 would probably work out best. If your looking to keep things "light" the 6.8 would help but again between the 2, not knowing more thenw hat you wrote, 308.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Given your opening criterion, I too would have to recommend 7.62x51mm; that said, I've found it hard to warm up to the big boomers myself. (It's a weight and dimensional issue for me, more than anything else.)

I've opted for 6.8x43 because I prefer the standard AR form factor, and appreciate the characteristics of a true intermediate cartridge.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Now, if I could only find it in my heart to shoot some of the expensive ass 6.8 that I have purchased. It hurts every time I put one in a mag. $1, $2, $3, .....

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt5811 View Post
    Now, if I could only find it in my heart to shoot some of the expensive ass 6.8 that I have purchased. It hurts every time I put one in a mag. $1, $2, $3, .....
    Little cheaper here:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...aspx?catid=602

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/68SPC-ammo.php

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...20%47%41%4D%45

If the poster was considering the Grendel, then $0.85-$1.00 a shot for 6.8 SPC isn't so bad.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    The .308 is a well established and will be easier to find ammo and mags. It is heavier that weight will give you more power and range than the 6.8.

I like the idea of the 6.8 because works in the standard AR platform with just a switch in most cases of an upper and mags. The 6.8 will be my next upper.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    If you have ANY concern about ammo availability, then .308 is a far better choice than 6.8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast