Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AAR - Vickers Tactical Advanced Pistol / Carbine Class - July 16-18, 2010

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by m4fun View Post
    Slut - you have to give your own AAR on the 5.45 upper - past your self imposed 16 round limit, you should let folks know.
    Not much to say, really.

I did end up bringing a 5.45 S&W upper and it worked like a top, although, as m4fun pointed out, I only loaded my C-products mags to 16 rounds. So I was schlepping something like seven mags so that I didn't end up short.

There were no malfs or FTF's of any sort. As an aside, I remember only one round key-holing on the target. Very accurate round, more accurate than the shooter.

The drawback: due to the humid conditions, my upper began to rust almost immediately. Specifically inside the flash hider, the exposed portion of the handguard slip ring retaining ring, and inside the bolt carrier (cam hole). Not just light corrosion, but full-on rust. I had a hard time removing the cam and the firing pin (normally that doesn't happend). Again, conditions were really humid.

Surprisingly, when the C-Products Mags were loaded to only 16 rounds, they worked reliably. No issues whatsoever. They were more reliable than some of the new brown PMAGS I was later using (5.56 gun).

Heavy Metal brought some Lancer mags with him and loaned me one to try out. I was surprised at how well they worked. I think an ideal mag would have the Lancer body, but with a firmer spring (AK74?) and an improved follower (hard to find nowadays?).

Separately, I also had an M&P/9 that began to rust too (slide, rear sight, and slide release).
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 07-21-10 at 12:23.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    Heavy Metal brought some Lancer mags with him and loaned me one to try out. I was surprised at how well they worked. I think an ideal mag would have the Lancer body, but with a firmer spring (AK74?) and an improved follower (hard to find nowadays?)
    A Lancer with a slightly reshaped AK74 follower would be just about ideal, IMO. Shorten the legs front to back and top to bottom, open the internal width up a bit to allow an AR mag spring and it'd be just about perfect. I've tried cutting up a standard AK74 follower but there's just enough changes that it'd require a newly molded follower instead of a recut stocker.

Why 16 rds? I've noted problems where CP mags loaded to capacity and loaded on a closed bolt will not feed. But that's with 25-26 rds in them.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    16 was the average number that worked. I couldn't get mags to cycle more than that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am thinking a Fail Zero Coated FCG and BCG would be ideal for that 5.45 due to corrosion issues. Also the Flash Suppressor too if they ever go back to doing indiivdual parts.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Arrow

Noted. Kinda goes against the purpose of having a 5.45 ... lower cost training.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

www.vickerstactical.com

Grey Group Training:
    www.greygrouptraining.com

A boat load of super high quality photos of the class were just made available to me.

Thanks Mrs H.

Paul A. Hotaling
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Paul A. Hotaling
    Paul@aliastraining.com