Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FELIN Worse than OICW?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    That is one crazy looking optic.
    What's it do?

When your new uber-rifle needs its own kick-stand, it's time to step back and re-evaluate
    Very first thing that came to my mind as well. What a mess!!

Feedback Score
    The FELIN is the french equivalent of the US Future Soldier/ Land Warrior program... very complex, heavy and bulky and saturates everybody with information/communication.

They are starting to field the first units:

http://www.soldiermod.com/volume-2-06/felin.html

It is the way of the future, all aim/vision/communication/navegation, etc. integrated and with a central power source. Hopefully the thingies will get smaller/lighter/tougher/more practical, it does look cumbersome and inmature for fielding.

Too bad the ever offensive jokes ran away the one person who could tell us something interesting about it.

Feedback Score

Gamer Weaponry

Sometimes I wonder if video game designers are behind some of these awkward guns.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think they are just pissed at GI joe over the whole eiffel tower thing. Silly frogs.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ556 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if video game designers are behind some of these awkward guns.
    Sorry boss, the hyperlink does not do this justice

The THOR is a weapon like no other. It packs 50 rounds of 5.56x45mm into the dimensions of a PDW and delivers the punch of a rifle into your holster. It's the sidearm that puts rifles to shame. With one simple press of a button the THOR brings shoulder stock and foregrip into firing position and delivers 100% of CRISAT body armor penetration.

All this is possible due to the innovative new layout, featuring the newly developed cMAG, a magazine that's curved around the pistol grip and the Hammer of THOR, a bolt that moves up and down to reduce recoil and enable the high-speed cycling machanism, that makes the THOR a weapon like no other.

?

?

Integrated folding forward grip and telescoped buttstock – the THOR can be carried like any big pistol in a special holster and therefore be effectively used in close combat. But within less than a second the THOR folds open and gives you the ergonomics and stability of a rifle.

In both modes, opened or closed, the THOR can be reloaded with your non-firing hand. All controls, including the bolt catch, magazine release, safety switch and charging handle are designed to be ambidextrous and ergonomically efficient.

?

?

The keytechnology that enables 50 rounds of 5.56x45 in a PDW is the cMAG. It's made from translucent plastic and placed right behind the firing hand, therefore the current count of cartridges is always visible. The cartridges are stored in normal two row fashion with the last round being rotated 90° into feed position by a helical ramp, similar to the system used in the FN P90. The advantages of this layout are a efficent use of space as well as great weight-balance behind the firing hand.

Reloading the cMAG can be achieved within seconds, as the magazine release drops out the magazine no mather if the buttstock is in place or folded. With a simple press of the bolt catch, the THOR can be ready to fire another 50 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger. Never before has a weapon delivered that much punch within such limited dimensions.

?

?

?

The THOR is designed from the ground up to fire incredible amounts of rounds, thanks to the cMAG, thus cooling the barrel and weapon was an important issue. To achieve effective cooling the upper receiver was designed to work like an air-pump. The front is enlarged to take in cool air, after the muzzleflash has disapeared, which is sucked in by the movement of the bolt and dustcover. It's transported from front to back through the upper and ejected above the cMAG. If the folding stock is in firing position, the airflow gets directed through specially designed ribs in front of the cheek rest. All internal parts, including the barrel, bolt and cMAG feeding mechanism are cooled by 20%.

?

The airflow-ribs in the front of the cheek rest also provide visual feedback of the current loading status of the cMAC, therefore making the THOR an extremly userfriendly weapon to use.

?

The THOR's outer body can be painted in basically every color and texture you can think of. With the use of a few simple tools the THOR

can also be completly striped and is ready to be spray painted. We also provide you with a variety of basic colors and camos for everyday use.

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

The THOR would be nothing without the innovations that go on inside. Just pull up the upper receiver using the handle and the THOR splits up to give you access to all internals. No screws to loose, no springs to catch, the THOR is designed the be 100% maintained in the field.

All internal parts can be removed without any tools for cleaning and servicing the weapon. Cleaning utilities can be stored in the buttstock by removing the back plate. Upper- and Lowerreceiver as well as the buttstock are made from titanium for maximum durability and because it's really, really expensive.

?

?

The THOR‘s unique layout requires a unique mechanism to make it work. Inside there are 3 moving parts: The dust cover (green), the slide (blue) and the bolt (red). The bolt is shaped like a hammer and moves up and down on a rail inside the grip to make place while the round is fed into the chamber (orange). When the round is loaded, the bolt closes the chamber and the firing pin ignites the round.

?

?

The world of today demands flexibility, modularity and extensibility. And the THOR delivers just that: The top side of the receiver features an uninterrupted Picatinny-type accessory rail for sight mountings, or whatever your mission requires. Maybe a cupholder? In basic configuration the THOR comes with two low profile Magpul MBUS PTS

backup sights which are actually manufactured for airsoft rifles and are little bit cheaper, but you know, the titanium frame was so expensive we had to save somewere. Additionally a fitting silencer with a lower rail is available, for mounting flashlights, lasers or even grenade launchers. If you're the kind of person who comes in silent but leaves with a bang.

?

?

THOR PDW A1 - Tactical Hammerbolt Operated Personal Defense Weapon

Size and weight:
    Height: 22 cm
    Width: 5,4 cm
    Lenght (folded): 43.2 cm
    Lenght (unfolded): 75.2 cm
    Weight: (Empty) 2.5 kg
    Weight: (Loaded) 3.1 kg

Caliber:
    50 x 5.56x45 Nato

Effective range:
    300 m

Maximum range:
    600 m

Rate of fire
    1000 rpm

Modes:
    Semi-automatic
    Fully-automatic

Connections:
    Picatinny MIL-STD-1913 rail

Sights:
    Magpul MBUS
    back-up iron sights

Muzzle velocity
    820 m/s

Muzzle energy (E0):
    1.200-1.300 Joule

This is the official mall ninja 6000!!!! This one time, I was patrolling down by jamba juice and this old lady dropped a bag on the floor and I totally thought that terrorists were invading ans I drew my mall ninja 6000. The only thing that saved her was my cat like ninja reflexes! HOY YAAAAHHHH!
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    PG - Quit hitting your button so many times.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The FELIN is the french equivalent of the US Future Soldier/ Land Warrior program... very complex, heavy and bulky and saturates everybody with information/communication.

They are starting to field the first units:

http://www.soldiermod.com/volume-2-06/felin.html

It is the way of the future, all aim/vision/communication/navegation, etc. integrated and with a central power source. Hopefully the thingies will get smaller/lighter/tougher/more practical, it does look cumbersome and inmature for fielding.

Too bad the ever offensive jokes ran away the one person who could tell us something interesting about it.

The first time I saw one was in a 1996 issue of Army PM magazine.
    That one had BNC connectors on it and co-ax cables not counting the back pack

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kalikraven View Post
    I'm French and all I have to say to those that insult my homeland is this,

Vous ętes stupide vous avez le cervau d'un sandwich au fromage, tu es betes comme tes pieds.
    So is that some sort of french cultural insult? Because I like a good cheese sandwich, and I had several in France
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
    PG - Quit hitting your button so many times.
    The mass voids were supposed to be pictures.
    EPIC FAIL! No repeats that I can see. I highly recommend that everyone goes to the hyperlink. That is funny.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Guys I was just playing around. I don't speak French, and I'm only about 40% French 50% German and the rest is native american from my french side.

I googled French Insults and found the mildedst of the ones there. It was "you have the brain of a cheese sandwich and your as smart as the soles of your feet." or something to that effect.

With military's relying so much on techknowlogy I'm worried that we will forget the basics. How often do we still practice hard core map and compass land nav while putting away the GPS? It seems that the more that we try to rely on techknology the less we focus on the tactics. Which is fine as long as it works and all this junk is EMP hardend. With the constant minitureization of electronics these concepts may someday work out quite well, just look back at some of the original pistol lasers that were the size of scopes, now they fit into the guiderods.

Bottom line, I think that it's great the they are developing techknowlodgy like this but the key word is developing, I hope that these are refined much more and made into more mangable sizes before they are issied to front line troops, especially since those troops will be putting thier lives on the line.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast