Thread: Soft Body Armor Selection

Feedback Score

Soft Body Armor Selection

It is time to get new body armor for work, and I am limited to one of two vest options. I can either get an American Body Armor Exteme HP, or a Second Chance Summit, both level II vest. During the last vest selection my only option was the Extreme HP. I was wondering if anyone had any info on either of these vest? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Both are made by the same company, in the same building, the ballistics package is likely very similar.

I'd pick the design of the two that fits you the best.

Feedback Score
    I would ask your agency what selection criteria they used for selecting the soft armor in question and whether they guarantee that the armor will stop a contact shot by your service weapon/load...

Feedback Score
    There isn't much of a selection process. These are the same two vest used by most of the other departments in the area, what the local supplier carries, and are NIJ-06 compliant. That is about it unfortunately.

The ABA vest uses Dyneema, Twaron Microlaminate and Gold Shield as the ballistic material.

The Summit vest uses Twaron Microlaminate and Gold Shield GN-2117.

I understand Twaron to be a woven p-aramid, but what does the microlaminate part mean?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Doc,

I know they beefed up the ABA Extreme design after my trip to Ontario, after I pointed out the issues with our then current issued vests.

Feedback Score
    tpd223,

What sort of issues were you having with the older ABA Extreme vests?