Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock AD GSW at Match

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    What exactly is a "Serpa clone type holster"???
    I've seen several places selling "RSR Defense" holsters, which are clearly Serpa-like.

I have no experience with them, and don't know if that's what was being reffered to.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Many folks do, and many of them still run into issues. Wife-beater or UA shirt under an un-tucked polo. Under shirt gets a little loose from repeated drawing and holstering, and they do not notice it when they go to holster.
    I've never had it happen, and I'm mindful. I don't have an RSO following me around, so I tend to be my own. You know?

I don't believe he was transitioning that way. It sounds like he was doing the same thing we do, which is load and make ready the pistol and holster, then load and make ready the carbine. He started out shooting the carbine and then took a step which pulled the holster and shirt in opposite directions and he got shot.
    Ok, but I didn't arrive at the same understanding from the very limited description I see above. If that's the case, then it makes more sense, but yes the RSO failed him.

I guarantee that if foot was one little toe over the box you'd get a penalty, or don't set a gun down exactly right, or move a barricade slightly, etc -- but the RSO can't see shirt in holster? Yeah, not good.

Whatever the case is, re-holstering is usually very deliberate act for me. I see or feel any un-tucking of anything around my gun and it gets squared away RFN.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    I've never had it happen, and I'm mindful. I don't have an RSO following me around, so I tend to be my own. You know?
    Agreed. I am in no way letting the shooter off the hook. He showed up with shitty equipment and incompatible attire and how he has two holes in his leg. But the SO still failed. If we simply trusted the shooters to run themselves at all times we'd attach the timer to a stick (which is about all the worth many SOs really are: a stick to hold the timer).

Unfortunately one of the side-effects of having a nanny (or in this case, RO) that you expect to be watching over you is that you get complacent. This is true in life as it is in shooting.

I've been an IDPA SO for well over 5 years, run hundreds if not thousands of shooters, worked local and state matches, etc. Believe me when I say I have LOTS of opinions on the level of stupidity I've witnessed on both ends of the timer. I once watched an SO following a very unstable shooter while trying to hold the timer and a camera.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ok, but I didn't arrive at the same understanding from the very limited description I see above.
    I see now

he shot the handgun and reholstered into a Serpa clone type holster and got some T-Shirt into the holster, he transitioned to his M-16 and when he took the first step, the shirt pulled taught and pulled the trigger.
    Without the link to the original thread it's hard to say, but it does sound like they were transitioning from a hot pistol to a hot carbine. Stupid. Height of stupid. Asking someone to holster a hot gun on the clock is pure idiocy.

now I want a link to the original thread so I make sure I don't attend one of these events.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    This looks to be the original thread but still no insight.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...afety-add.html

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Friend's explanation:
    It was in an action match, he shot the handgun and reholstered into a Serpa clone type holster and got some T-Shirt into the holster, he transitioned to his M-16 and when he took the first step, the shirt pulled taught and pulled the trigger. The gun cycled and reloaded another round in the holster, had it been the Glock 18 on full auto it would have ate his leg, or a duty round rather than FMJ.
    Picture of said friend with dual G18s.
    Last edited by Irish; 07-22-10 at 10:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
    Friend's explanation:

Picture of said friend with dual G18s.
    would this be a "dont confuse enthusiasm for skill/competence" situation?
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    So the guy who got shot is a friend of David Hineline? Interesting.

ETA: Haha, I just checked the original thread, and sure enough, it is David Hineline's friend.
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 07-22-10 at 12:10.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    Why people wear loose fitting clothes between the gun and the holster is always a mystery to me. I wear a t-shirt, tucked in, and an over shirt that is long enough that I must move it far enough above the gun in order to even see, or get to the holster. Which means the reverse is also true. I must clear the concealment shirt completely, in order to re-holster the gun, so it's a deliberate move to get it up and out of the way. It might be a little slower, but it offers three advantages I can think of:

1) Concealed means concealed.
    2) No chance of me putting shirt back in my holster with the gun unless I get completely ate up with a dumbass.
    3) I can conceal more things, like a light, extra mags, a bigger gun like a G17 or 1911.

I also believe that people are way too quick back into the holster anyway. Training, or competition, mental scar? I'd rather have the gun out for a second more than necessary if there are threats around, and maybe needing another round.

Still not clear why any match would have you transition from handgun to long gun. If you had an M16, you'd be using an M16 first and for as long as possible. Sounds like a retarded stage, unless I am missing something.
    I've been thinking of putting some buttons mounted thru the extra holes in my Raven holster that I wear IWB and some button holes on my under shirt to match up. I fidget a lot so I need someway to keep everything square.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I've been thinking of putting some buttons mounted thru the extra holes in my Raven holster that I wear IWB and some button holes on my under shirt to match up. I fidget a lot so I need someway to keep everything square.
    link

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast