Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Glock AD GSW at Match

Feedback Score
    I would realy like to know what kind of match it was, the stage design, were was it held and definitely who was the RSO that was running the Squad.
    I think that the RSO in the matches have a great responsibility to ensure the safety of all shooters that they RSO for, also to make sure that the stage in it self is safe and can be shot with out breaking the range safety rules. I think this is something that could have been avoided if the RSO was in his A game.
    It does suck that it happen, but like it was said before. it is a constant reminder that Firearms are still tools that can inflict a lot of damage on someone if not handle correctly.
    ACADEMI Firearms, Tactics and Driving Instructor
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT part-time armorer
    certified HK/BUSHMASTER armorer
    “There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    It's possible no one saw the t-shirt snag if he was wearing a covering shirt or jacket.

The OP lives in NE and said it was a friend. The photo was taken in early April. It stands to reason he was wearing more than just a t-shirt if all that happened local.

That might at least explain why no one saw it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is not a Serpa issue, a holster issue, or a clothing issue. This is a training issue. It can happen with any holster and any number of clothing combinations, unless you're wearing nothing but spandex.

I've had more than one instructor hammer on this issue before to the point where I've become hyperaware of it. It doesn't mean I look down and take 15 seconds to reholster, but it does mean that I am feeling for a loose piece of shirt and feeling how the gun goes into the holster as I'm doing it. If anything is hinky, I slow it down and check it.

Feedback Score
    So do I, but I still don't think the Serpa design is a sound one... I like Safariland's ALS/SLS system much better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    This is not a Serpa issue, a holster issue, or a clothing issue. This is a training issue. It can happen with any holster and any number of clothing combinations, unless you're wearing nothing but spandex.

I've had more than one instructor hammer on this issue before to the point where I've become hyperaware of it. It doesn't mean I look down and take 15 seconds to reholster, but it does mean that I am feeling for a loose piece of shirt and feeling how the gun goes into the holster as I'm doing it. If anything is hinky, I slow it down and check it.
    Well clothing has something to do with it, a lot of Jackets or fleeces have some kind of elastic band at their sides to create more insulation for the one wearing the jacket.
    I have seen a lot of students wearing those kind of jackets, we always make them tuck those loose articles in and always keep an eye on those individuals for that reason.
    you need to know your equipment, practice with what you are going to fight with.
    with that said, i am not disagreeing with you about the lack of training and proper weapons handling.
    ACADEMI Firearms, Tactics and Driving Instructor
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT part-time armorer
    certified HK/BUSHMASTER armorer
    “There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    Perhaps, but holster and clothing issues are related to training issues. Perhaps if he had more training he wouldn't be dressed like a soup sandwich and carrying in a shitty holster.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If the bone was untouched, he's pretty damned lucky.

I speak from experience.....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Looey-I am glad you touched on this being part of the problem.
    I know of 2 instances where the drawstring was the culprit of an AD/ND.
    One, the officer was reholstering and the drawstring was in the holster and the firearm discharged. The other, the drwastring on a 5.11 fleece was pulled and it had been reholstered with the firearm and it discharged and chambered a new round.
    We all have to pay attention to our gear and these are reminders of that.
    Last edited by Tango Charlie145; 07-23-10 at 12:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    If the bone was untouched, he's pretty damned lucky.

I speak from experience.....
    That was the first thing I thought of too... I can't imagine not being able to walk (or at least walk correctly) for as long as it would take for that to heal. Elbow was bad enough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sweep cover garment when presenting from the holster.

Sweep the cover garment when reholstering.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast