Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-10 feeding issues

Feedback Score

AR-10 feeding issues

Sorry if this has been re-hashed somewhere, the search function isn't working for me. It just keeps telling me to wait 30 seconds, even after I waited 30 seconds.

Anyway, I have a Armalite AR-10. I bought it used several months ago but today was my first opportunity to get to the outdoor range and shoot. I was using Winchester 147 gr. white box ammo to get sighted in. I only received a factory 10 round mag with it, so I ordered 2 20 rounders off 44mag.com.

I tried the 10 rounder first, I put two rounds through it and had a double feed. Cleared that, put another round through, and had a stuck case. (I'm assuming because it was hot, after a couple of minutes and working the action it finally popped.) I figured I'd try the 20 round mag and see if that went better. I think I got 3 rounds through it before another double feed. Cleared it, one more round and it stove piped, along with a double feed. After that I packed it up.

I didn't have any other 308 ammo with me today, so I'm not sure if that was the problem, though I have used this ammo in my M1A and never had an issue. Is this common with AR-10's? I appreciate the help guys.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    What did ArmaLite say when you called them? They are probably in the best position to handle this type of problem. AR's can be a finicky bitch sometimes.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    Bro, I have the exact same problem with my Armalite. I've switched ammo with little luck. Strangely enough, Winchester is the only ammo that hasn't given me issues...oh and Hornady. I think my issue is from the gas block because the shell is ejected but the next round is not chambered. From my guess, shitty quality ammo not pushing the bolt back enough to grab the next round or as stated above, gas issue.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Ammo..........

I feed my LR308 (16" carbine) Remington 147 grain, South African 147 grain, and old Chinese Norinco 147 grain with no issues. 7.62x51AR's are typically way over gassed, so if the bolt is not fully cycling to the rear, suspect low power ammo.

Also, is the bolt well lubed? (wet)

And finally, check the chamber with a chamber gage...
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 07-23-10 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a Armalite AR-10. I bought it used several months ago but today was my first opportunity to get to the outdoor range and shoot.
    What model? Has it been modified in any way?

Feedback Score
    My first thought was to check the gas rings.

Feedback Score
    Yep, bolt is wet. I think it was crappy Mag Tec ammo. It hasn't missed a beat since I put in Winchester.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I lubed it before I took it to the range, and brought some with me in case since it hasn't been shot, though I usually lube/oil all my weapons every couple of weeks if I don't get to the range.

Model is the AR-10A4. No mods were done (my buddy sold it to the previous owner, and he sold it back to the store). All I did was change out the camo stock, grip and hand guards.

It looks like it was ammo. I brought the rifle back to my friends store and they put some rounds through it in the bullet trap. Ran like a champ with no issues. Next time out I'll have to try some match ammo and see how it goes. Thanks guys for all the input.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I was going to suggest checking on the ammo and proper lube of the gun.

My experience with the AR 10 is that it can at times be picky with respect to ammo. I have used German Surplus (DAG) ammo with success as well as SSA 168 grain and BHM without any issues. That said, they are not exactly the cheepest but they ran the gun flawlessly and shoot well.
    Last edited by Cold; 07-24-10 at 18:23.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    MY AR10 eats every kind of ammo I try with zero problems . Surplus, win white box ,Fed Gold Match 168 grain . my 20 inch is a secound gen with secound gen 20 round mags . I a'm getting 1.5 moa at 100 scoped with German Dag and Port surplus. Kudos to Armalite for produceing such a great rifle . If I do my part I get sub moa with Fed gold match SMZK 168. I do have a Jard 2# trigger ,that helped a lot .
    WHO ME ? ---- A government big enough to
    give you everything you want, is
    strong enough to take everything
    you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast