Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TROY Industries BUIS's in DE

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplophile
    How many of those dovetailed sights had a pair of relatively large screws holding them in like that? Screws that go into the base part too, not just set screws.

I know you guys are having fun with this, but do you honestly think there's a realistic chance of both screws not just coming loose but backing out far enough to allow the key to move in the dovetail, between any 2 given cleanings? Especially since all the force during recoil is exerted against the dovetail, not the screws.

There's a lot to be said against LW, but this 'issue' seems like a non-starter to me. A little loctite and proper torque should be more than enough.
    I have seen screws that were torqued and loctite used come loose because they were not staked. I am old school on this issue (torque, loctite, stake). I also know from "informed users" that there are issues with this BCG which I will not go into here.

I would prefer that I didn't have to check the screws on my carrier everytime I clean it. We all have to do what we think is best. I like to error on the side of caution on things that can negatively affect my weapons function (like a loose carrier key).

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes, I do and that’s not just because of their past. How many of us have had mounts fall off, sights come loose, etc, etc when merely the friction of torque retains them.

Especially when it’s something so vital as the gas key.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    The carrier key is dovetailed to prevent front to back movement and the channel for the key/charging handle prevents lateral movement. I'd be willing to bet money that this BCG would run without the carrier key screws even in place.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Let's get this thread back on topic. If we want to discuss the merits of the dovetail vs staking let's start a new thread.

Feedback Score
    You are correct. I apologize for the hijack.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen
    You are correct. I apologize for the hijack.

Stephen
    No need to apologize, I'm guilty of asking about the carrier group. But we've definitely strayed too far off the topic.

Feedback Score
    sooo...they look nice in FDE

Feedback Score
    Geez.... Dont look now, but there is some direction here ....
    Brett W

Elite Defense
    Vice President of Domestic Sales and Marketing

FN Senior Manager of Assault Weapons - SCAR Program 2006-2010
    Former Troy Industries Inc Director of Operations 2003-2006

Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!
    -Pat Riley

Feedback Score
    The color looks good. IIRC that Stick had a picture of a Norrel's Molycoated magazine next to an FDE Vltor CTR and the matach was great. By extension, then it looks as if Norrell's will do well with the Troy BUISs.

Good thing seeing I have a gallon of the Norrels Tan

Hardgear

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger
    Let me get this straight.

Just because it was a dovetail the bolts do not need staking? Oddly enough I have seen enough dovetailed pistol sights come loose to know this is incorrect.

Is this an official LW statement?

Just FYI from Darren at LWRC:

As you know the Piston carrier keys are dovetailed into the carrier. The screws only prevent lateral movement. They are installed with a thread locker (not subject to heat as the impingement carriers are).

If you wanted to stake a piston key, you would need a jackhammer as the steel alloy used is very hard and impact resistant. DO NOT STAKE YOUR PISTON GUN KEYS!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast