Thread: Does someone make a drop-in replacement for a TLR-1?

Feedback Score

Does someone make a drop-in replacement for a TLR-1?

I'm looking for a light for my 10.5" SBR and my handheld lights are too long for my taste so I'm thinking about getting a TLR-1s. The only problem with it is that the output is terrible. I'm used to having something brighter than the 160 lumens it puts out. Is there a way to replace the lamp with something brighter?
    Last edited by heem_infinite; 07-23-10 at 11:04.

Feedback Score
    I don't know what you're accustomed to, but my TLR-1 is out-of-this-world bright, and the throw is great, too.

Are you sure your batteries are good?

Are you sure your light is funtioning as it should? Maybe you've got a bad one that needs to go back to Streamlight...

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I will second that... my new TLR-1 is super bright. Nice and compact on a rail too.

Feedback Score
    I don't have one yet. I just see that it is 160 lumens and I'm used to my Fenix TK12 and its 280 lumens. I'll just have to wait until it gets here.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by heem_infinite View Post
    I don't have one yet. I just see that it is 160 lumens and I'm used to my Fenix TK12 and its 280 lumens. I'll just have to wait until it gets here.
    So basically you have never seen a TLR-1S and you think the output is terrible? There are so many variables to a beam including tint, shape, and output that it's hard to make these choices off only a lumen value. Plus, it takes almost double a true lumen value for the human eye to see a significant difference.

More specifically, the Streamlight 160 lumens should be pretty similar to a Fenix 280 lumens. Fenix typically uses theoretical emitter output at the LED and not actual measured OTF (out the front) lumens.

The Fenix is probably more like 212 lumens and the TLR-1s is probably pretty close to 160. This one will basically come down to which beam pattern you prefer.

Oh yeah, get an SF X300 :P

See these links for more info on actual lumens. Lots more info!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=229135
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=260659

Dennis.

ps. I have a new TLR-1S on the way just for fun...

Feedback Score
    "More specifically, the Streamlight 160 lumens should be pretty similar to a Fenix 280 lumens. Fenix typically uses theoretical emitter output at the LED and not actual measured OTF (out the front) lumens."

That used to be true about Fenix a few years ago, but doesn't seem to be the case anymore. They're new lights are accurate OTF lumens ratings. The new LD10 has actually been tested to be 40 lumens more then advertised.

with the large reflector I would thing that the tlr-1s would have good throw and be plenty bright.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is my personal opinion and observation only.

I am not a "Flashlight Guy".

If you are going to run a 10.5" SBR, I would ASSUME that it's intended role would be towards something requiring the shorter barrel length (entry, CQB, etc) as the diminished muzzle velocity limits it's effective range with fragmentation type rounds (M193, M855, etc).

I personally find that in these close environments, a "high output" light causes more reticle washout and other distractions from reflected light than in the more open spaces a longer barreled weapon would typically be employed.

I think the TLR would be a great choice on your SBR, and you may find you don't care for more output like you would at greater ranges in the open.

To make it short, you may wanna try it first before you go brighter.

Good luck!

-RD62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    If you are going to run a 10.5" SBR...

I personally find that in these close environments, a "high output" light causes more reticle washout and other distractions from reflected light than in the more open spaces a longer barreled weapon would typically be employed.

I think the TLR would be a great choice on your SBR, and you may find you don't care for more output like you would at greater ranges in the open.
    This was my first thought, too...

I have a TRL-1, and a Fenix L2T handheld. The Fenix is supposed to be almost as many lumens as the Streamlight.

Side-by-side, the TLR-1 is much brighter, and has a longer throw, too.

Bimmer