Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tucson, Southern Arizona Sub-Group

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Tucson, Southern Arizona Sub-Group

Guys, I just wanted to get an idea of where the Tucson M4C members typically shoot. Do any of you get together regularly at local ranges or matches? Are any of you already meeting up for some informal training? If not we should get an informal list of Tucson, Southern Arizona M4C members and try to set something up.

Feedback Score
    Is a good idea. I have interst too. I'm in Tucson.

Feedback Score
    I qualify for work at the Tucson Rifle Club near Three Points and shoot on my own time at the Pima county range off of Rita and I-10. I haven't met up with any M4C folks yet but would like to do so.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'm up in Northwest Tucson/Marana. The ranges I frequent are The Marksman 2 on Prince and Pima Pistol Club in Catalina.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you want to shoot for the smallest groups at the most sterile, controlled ranged, then I'd recommend the S.E. Regional shooting range. (200 yards & in)

If you want to have fun shooting steel, three points.

If you want to shoot matches, pima pistol.

If you just want to go be alone, off in the desert of Catalina or Reddington.

If you're fine shooting a crowded indoor pistol-caliber ranges, then the Marksman or Marksman II.

And to my knowledge, that's about it for Tucson.

ETA: And if you go to the Pima Pistol Club, don't forget to hit up Bubb's Grub on the way out. Block or two north of the club on Oracle, right side of the street. Best. BBQ. Ever.
    Last edited by MisterWilson; 08-08-10 at 19:28.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I don't like going to Marksman because its crowded, sucks for shooting drills (I have to put a range bag on the ground in front of me to avoid dropping mags on the concrete), and can't practice on more than one target. However, it's only a 20 minute drive from my house and I can get in 50 rounds of dot torture and 100 rounds of various other drills and be back home in under two hours. The people that run the one on Prince are generally polite.

When I go to Pima Pistol Club I either shoot at the 100 yard rifle range to sight things in or get on one their two practical ranges. I try to go on days where fewer people are there (early weekday mornings) so I can get a whole area to myself and don't have to shoot from behind "the line".

I've only gone to Three Points once, and....its a all day commitment. Two plus hours of driving and a lot of walking to targets equals a long time at the range. Not possible if I'm to be a good father to my young kids or if I want to stay married.

SE Regional sounds too sterile for "training".

There is a public range next to a police range that the EAG Pistol/Carbine classes were held. According to the class sponsor, also a LEO, it has steel plates out to 5-600 yards. However, he also warned that the area was gang and crime infested, so I haven't been there alone as I didn't want to be one of those guys shot for their AR. It's in Casa Grande, I-8, exit Trekell Rd and head 3-5 miles southeast towards the mountains.

It appears that getting local M4C members together isn't going to be easy.
    Last edited by uwe1; 08-10-10 at 03:13. Reason: Mentioning Casa Grande

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uwe1 View Post
    It appears that getting local M4C members together isn't going to be easy.
    True, but we have to start somewhere. I could meet you at Pima Pistol Club sometime. I typically have Thursday and Friday off.

Feedback Score

Casa Grande Range

I used to shoot at Casa Grande weekly 10 years ago but since they updated the range and posted it all over the net it's gotten congested with alot of interesting people.

I still make it to the Casa Grande range every once in awhile in the early morning during the week mostly to work on pistol (drawing from concealment,etc). Now I mostly do desert shooting anymore and hit Usery with one of my buddies a couple times a month for testing out reloading changes/tweeks.

I've never had any issues with crime at the Casa Grande range but I stay armed and always have a buddy when I'm doing anything outside pistol range where I have to leave the table for awhile to police targets.

Never shot down around Tucson but will probably be down in that area for the GSSF shoot in October.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you don't mind a bit of a drive, try Cochise County Gun Club between Sierra Vista and Bisbee.

Here is the link http://www.sierravistarange.org/fees.html

Ridiculously low annual fee.

Guns kill people who have guns and want to kill people.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zlock View Post
    True, but we have to start somewhere. I could meet you at Pima Pistol Club sometime. I typically have Thursday and Friday off.
    After going off the deep end and going to the range nearly every week last year, I've had to slow myself down to keep the wife and kids happy. I also realized the difference in the shooting I was doing and the shooting I should be doing after I took a EAG Pistol 2 class. Standing in a bay shooting at a cross hair target was as unrealistic as one can get for defensive purposes. Sitting at the rifle benchrest does nothing for defensive muscle memory. That class completely changed the way I practice pistol shooting. I hope TigerSwan in December will do the same.

I get Sundays and Mondays off, but that's usually the "honey do list" day.

If we could get a small group together for a mini training that would be ideal as I could find a reason to tear myself away for the day.
    Last edited by uwe1; 08-22-10 at 11:19.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast