Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Low Speed High Drag" Night Shooting drills & considerations?

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Whatever you do, exercise extreme caution. The potential for Murphy to make a guest appearance are pretty high..
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    vary light sources, intensity and position in relation to you and the targets. Lights from behind the target, behind the shooter, between the shooter and target. Find the max distance that lights will effectively illuminate. Test out POA and POI issues with night sights. Setup a video camera downrange to see what it looks like shooting with lights on/off. What fun.

Feedback Score
    Most have already touched up on the main points. Only thing I would add is train for how you are everyday, in other words if you carry a small flashlight all the time use it, if you don't, then do plenty of low light drills without a flashlight. Try to duplicate scenarios if you were in your house at night time. Are you going to be clearing rooms, or is this just general engagement training? Experiment with the different ways to hold the flashlight (i.e. FBI method, Rogers etc. . .). The latest trend is to use as little light as possible. Just pop your light on to get a quick look where everything is. Low light shooting is very tricky and its one of those things that takes a lot of practice to get proficient in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    Are you going to be clearing rooms, or is this just general engagement training?
    For live-fire we'll just be doing general engagement training. If we do decide to do any room clearing, etc., it'll be with empty guns--partially due to confidence/competence issues but also due to the fact that we don't have a shoot-house.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    The first thing I would do is check with anyone in earshot and make sure they were ok with gunfire after sunset and then check with the local police.

I would also make sure that the route into the shooting area is easily navigable at night, that there is an area in fairly close proximity that could handle a life-flight landing, and that I had good communication via cell phone or to someone with phone access, all in case of an injury on the range that can't be dealt with with duct tape and a man-card.

Amateurs have a med kit "in case", professionals have a plan for "when".
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12