Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first build

Feedback Score

My first build

I putting together my first AR im setting it up for 0-300 yard encounters. Maybe later I will build a 20" SPR

Spike's Tactical "INFIDEL" lower

DPMS A3 Flattop
    DPMS 16" chrome lined barrel w/ carbine lenght gas system 1X9 twist
    DPMS charging handle w/ tac latch
    DPMS bolt carrier and assembly
    DPMS Parts kit for lower

YHM Specter Light weight free float Forearm
    YHM Specter Gas block
    YHM End Cap
    YHM Forearm mounted front flip
    YHM Rear flip
    YHM Phantom comp/brake (perm attached to make MA compliant)
    YHM Skeletonized stock
    YHM Foward grip
    YHM Ambidextrous carbine sling mount

ZM Weapons single point bungie sling

Sure Grip ergo grip

EO Tech 552

Sure Fire G2 mounted at four o'clock position

Other small items like rail cover that i really dont feel like listing. O yeah I dont need to shit from all you guys about the insane amount of YHM stuff. Im just trying to keep it simple by limiting the amount of vendors im using.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like your off to a fairly good start. You might catch some flack with all the DPMS components. Id go with another brand on certain parts listed.

The whole "infidel" thing is getting pretty old and is kinda cheesy. As a Muslim myself, I dont think you really want to wear the true meaning of the word as a badge of honor or a "im your huckleberry" type thing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dialM4murder View Post
    The whole "infidel" thing is getting pretty old and is kinda cheesy. As a Muslim myself, I dont think you really want to wear the true meaning of the word as a badge of honor or a "im your huckleberry" type thing.
    Maybe Kafir is more appropriate

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the1911fan View Post
    Maybe Kafir is more appropriate
    While also some what derogatory, I wouldn't recommend that either.
    If you simply like the look of Arabic script, pick something more pleasant.

Feedback Score
    As for the lower, I say don't worry about what anyone else thinks about it and get what you like... I personally like the Infidel thing, but I like bible verses better.

I would look at CMMG instead of DPMS, some say they use the same barrel blanks but I like the extended feed ramps and the tighter twist rate.
    I don’t like a lot of DPMS’s parts, and DPMS is the first company I have seen screw up a freaking roll pin...
    YHM makes fine products and I have nothing bad to say about their gas blocks, front sights, and muzzle devices, but I personally like the MI rails. The way YHM did the rails make them a little hard on my hands, and I have thick skin, but I’m sure they did that to cut some weight.

Mostly I say look at the picture threads and decide what you like and what you don’t
    If you stick to quality parts you will have no problem mixing and matching.

And for a 16in carbine you might want a heavy buffer.
    I run an LMT MPI bolt and carrier in my 16in carbine.
    Also check out the Magpul CTR stock, a lot of dealers on this site have a Mil-spec kit you can buy.
    Stuff like bungee slings and forward grips can be trial and error until you find what works for you.

And don’t be afraid to mix and match parts, as long as you use quality parts you can mix them up. I’m using a CMT upper, a barrel I got from BravoCompany (non BCM), LMT BCG, LMT CH, and a Colt carry handle.

Feedback Score
    I'm not worried about the lower. Plus I got it for an amazing price. As far as the "Infidel" I could care less, If I worried about all the time I offended or pissed some one off id never leave the house. I wanted the lower that said "Stay back 100 feet or you will be killed " in arabic script.

Here is the place where i got the lower www.spikestactical.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Manley View Post
    I'm not worried about the lower. Plus I got it for an amazing price. As far as the "Infidel" I could care less, If I worried about all the time I offended or pissed some one off id never leave the house. I wanted the lower that said "Stay back 100 feet or you will be killed " in arabic script.

Here is the place where i got the lower www.spikestactical.com
    Oh I wasn't offended if you were reffering to me. Personaly I could care less. Just my opinion, which of course you open yourself up to when you post on a public forum.

As far as the stand back 100 ft. I don't think they sell that one anymore, I didn't see it on their site. That one I thought was actually kinda cool.

Feedback Score

Thumbs down

xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-09-09 at 23:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PALADIN-hgwt View Post
    Hypothetically, in the aftermath of a terror "event", what are the chances some nervous minimum wage security guard with a 38 revolver won't pump a round or two into the back of a guy wearing or displaying "hamas colors", aka Arabic script. Seriously, why not just wrap a tea towel around your head as a target indicator. What seems neat in theater might not play well on the streets of a major US city.

Paladin
    Not a bad point…
    But, if he felt it was an issue he could always cover it with tape or hit it with some paint, magic marker, or what ever.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dick-

The good thing about that rifle is that it's yours and you built it. Assuming you assembled your own lower, you now know more about the operating mechanism than most people do.

When I started to get into ARs I built 3 guns from Bushmaster, RRA, LMT, Cavarms, and even Model 1 parts. I learned from those guns what I like and don't like, and used that knowledge to build the guns I currently own.

Take your new rifle and shoot the hell out of it. Get yourself into a carbine class and dump 1k rounds through it in 3 days without cleaning. Get out and shoot some 3-gun matches with it. You'll learn a whole lot more useful information that way and be able to say with confidence "this is the rifle that works for me and the kind of shooting I do".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast