Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back injuries...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Back injuries...

Long story short, i woke up about a week ago with searing pain in my lower back on the left hand side. I havent got the foggiest clue as to what i did to myself but i had worked out my lower half the day before. Im fairly certain my form was off on something that i did and i pulled a muscle. The pain was so bad at times i could hardly draw a full breath.

Fast forward a week and im not quite 100% but im feeling better. I still dont want to work out for fear of aggravating whatever it was that i injured.

What can i do exercise wise to keep me from going insane? I havent lifted in a week and have done only light walking and im going stir crazy not being able to exercise.

What is the best course of action when suffering from an injury? Take time completely off in order to recover fully or supplement with different training programs/exercises?

I feel as though that when i dont exercise im pushing back my goals, its a bad feeling.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Walk or light swim. Avoid ANY strengthening exercises until you can stretch slowly without it hurting. Stretch post warm water shower.

This is coming from a Chiro who was standing by my office.
    Hope you feel better.

Cheers
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sadmin,

Thanks for the advice. I think ill do some swimming while i recover, i live in Florida so i can basically swim 24/7 365 days a year if i so choose.

Anyone know what the average recuperation time is for pulled muscles or is there too much variance due to individuals?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Magsz,

Have you seen a real doc yet? When I first read your post, I knew you probably did it lifting. We see quite a few low back injuries since the gym is free and there ain't a whole lot to do on your off time. Blown out shoulders are another common injuries.

Have you ever tried Pilates? It may be safe for you, and a good workout, but see a doc and ask first. A lot of people who think they are fit and strong get their ass kicked in a Pilates workout
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    stretch --stretch -stretch..heating pad....Hope it all works out for ya brutha!!!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    What can i do exercise wise to keep me from going insane?.
    Swimming! I have a ruptured disk and when it is really bad, I find that back stroke actually stretches me out and relieves the pain.

Elliptical. I find using a Precor elliptical gives me a good workout without causing impact that worsens my back condition.

Weight training with isolation exercises. Perfect form. No complex exercises, no military press, no squats. See what hurts and what does not.

Yoga. Yeah, I know. But Yoga stretches the heck out of you and also helps with static and core strength. Core strength will reduce the pressure on your back and improve your condition.

Finally, instead of waiting around for it to get better, go see a chiropractor 3x / week for 1 or 2 weeks. There is probably a nerve being pinches and a chiropractor can move things around to relieve it.

This is based on my personal back injury experience. Your experience may differ.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks to all that have responded. Little more info.

Im a small business owner with no health insurance at this time so going to a doctor is out of the question. Ill just have to wait until 2012 or whenever it is for the Obamacare package so i can have everything handed to me....

Ive actually heard that pilates is an incredible workout and im looking for a place that is affordable to join up and take some classes. One of my biggest issues is how inflexible i am, its pretty ridiculous, i cant even touch my toes unless i really strain.

A few of my overall exercise goals are to increase core strength and flexibility so Ninja, thanks for the recommendation, i think ill take you up on that suggestion!

Feedback Score
    A chiro appt can cost as little as $40.00 and is worth every cent IMHO.

Feedback Score
    Where exactly is your pain? Is it mid-line to the spine? Away from the spine, more towards the flank? Lower towards the hip or higher up?

Does it radiate at all down to your buttocks or upper thigh?

If seeing a doctor is out of the question, my initial advice to you is constant cold pressure via ice/packs/frozen fruit/veggies. Motrin as needed, if at all. Try not to take any pain meds. High doses of EPA/DHA (Fish Oil) could help with inflammation. Halt any physical activity other than walking for the next 2-3 weeks. No yoga, no swimming, nothing. Just walking. Ensure you get copious amounts of sleep. If things improve down the road, as in a couple of weeks to 1.5 months, then incorporate yoga, swimming, and so on. Your a young dude, do not push yourself into a tighter corner than you have to be.

If you are able to front a little bit of money, I would suggest a quality neuromuscular massage therapist, inform her/him of the situation and proceed cautiously with a couple of sessions.

After these sessions are completed, a possible trip to the Chiropractor *could* help depending on whats going on. If you do decide to go to the chiropractor ensure that you go directly after a massage session. Do not go cold into the chiropractor. As much respect as I have for D.C.'s, if this is a herniated disc, there isn't much they can do for the herniation. Some of the disc space heightening methods can help relieve pain temporarily but the herniation will continue to impinge on that nerve root, *IF* that is what is going on.

Research excercises that help with Thoracic, Lumbar Spine stretching. Also research excercises that are related to hip mobility.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 07-31-10 at 13:20.

Feedback Score
    take it from someone who thought they had a pulled muscle and it ended up being 2 bulging discs - go see an doctor, and at least have x rays done. the doc should then be able to tell whether or not you are fine or need to go have a ct scan or mri. your spine is your lifeline, dont **** it up.

chavez_e_chavez, its always best to get the blood pumping before stretching. to the OP, swimming is great,if you dont do that i would also: heat, stationary bike warmup, stretch, stationary bike workout, stretch, and either ice or heat at the end, depending on how it feels. good luck.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast