Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Back injuries...

Feedback Score
    One word, Biofreeze. After numerous back injuries and muscle pulls and strains, Biofreeze always helps. Your local Chiropractor should carry it. It is a life saver for me as I have 2 bulging discs and that stuff is the only topical that works. It's like taking an ice bath without having to actually do it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Derek,

I would say the pain is on the left side of my back about two inches from my spine an inch or two above my left buttcheek.

Im feeling better but im definitely not 100% healed as i still have pain or a dull ache every now and then. I can stretch without pain and im 100% mobile but like i said, im not 100%

I was actually just about to head out to go lift as i was feeling much better but the words of caution in this thread are giving me second thoughts.

Hrmph. If this persists i think im going to take the advice here and scrounge up the dosh to go see a doctor.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you want an awesome back doc in Boca let me know. He's going to order xrays though which also aren't going to be cheap. you could try calling him and explaining the situation.

Stretching helped me more than any other thing. That and actually taking it easy. I would stay out of the gym for at least a month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If you want an awesome back doc in Boca let me know. He's going to order xrays though which also aren't going to be cheap. you could try calling him and explaining the situation.

Stretching helped me more than any other thing. That and actually taking it easy. I would stay out of the gym for at least a month.
    Rob is right. Stretching and rest are going to be the best thing you can do. Listen to your body, I didn't when I was powerlifting and tore my left Pec. Painful lesson to learn.

Feedback Score
    Its always good advice to see a doctor.

Keep in mind that X-rays will not tell much in regards to a disc herniation. They will only show abnormal bone pathology that could be contributing to nerve/thecal sac impingement. Which is unlikelly for this situation.

BUT, having met Magz, and knowing his age, I'd venture a guess that he is not suffering from any type of degenerative spine disease at this point in his life that would make things like bone spurs, spondylosis, spondylisthesis, start to pop up. Very very unlikely.

Going to the doc, will result in a physical exam of course, but the only true diagnostic exams that will give some insight will be CT Scans and/or MRI. There are things that can be picked up in either and also missed as well. All these are very cost prohibitive w/out insurance unfortunately.

Derek,

I would say the pain is on the left side of my back about two inches from my spine an inch or two above my left buttcheek.
    Close to you sacrum (tail bone)?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yes, a little higher though.

I hate to use this comparison but on a really fit woman that has lower back dimples...that is essentially where my pain is only centered in my fat ass love handle.

Feedback Score
    I'm not your doctor, and this isn't formal medical advice but my opinion is this.

I strongly suggest you go see a doctor. Explain your situation and it is likely you'll get a reduced fee. Even if no imaging (xrays), or advanced imaging (e.g. MRI) are done, the doctor can do a physical exam and at least make sure that you don't have any neurological deficits that may indicate a more serious problem.

If you do get any sort of neurological deficits including numbness, muscle weakness (esp. a floppy foot/foot slap/foot drop/inability to walk on your heels or toes, etc.), or developing urinary retention, constipation, etc. you need to be seen ASAP.

If you develop acute urinary retention/incontinence, or bowel incontinence, +/- intractable severe back or leg pain, you need to go to the E.R. to be assessed, as this may be a very serious developing surgical emergency.

Good Luck.
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    Where exactly is your pain? Is it mid-line to the spine? Away from the spine, more towards the flank? Lower towards the hip or higher up?

Does it radiate at all down to your buttocks or upper thigh?

If seeing a doctor is out of the question, my initial advice to you is constant cold pressure via ice/packs/frozen fruit/veggies. Motrin as needed, if at all. Try not to take any pain meds. High doses of EPA/DHA (Fish Oil) could help with inflammation. Halt any physical activity other than walking for the next 2-3 weeks. No yoga, no swimming, nothing. Just walking. Ensure you get copious amounts of sleep. If things improve down the road, as in a couple of weeks to 1.5 months, then incorporate yoga, swimming, and so on. Your a young dude, do not push yourself into a tighter corner than you have to be.

If you are able to front a little bit of money, I would suggest a quality neuromuscular massage therapist, inform her/him of the situation and proceed cautiously with a couple of sessions.

After these sessions are completed, a possible trip to the Chiropractor *could* help depending on whats going on. If you do decide to go to the chiropractor ensure that you go directly after a massage session. Do not go cold into the chiropractor. As much respect as I have for D.C.'s, if this is a herniated disc, there isn't much they can do for the herniation. Some of the disc space heightening methods can help relieve pain temporarily but the herniation will continue to impinge on that nerve root, *IF* that is what is going on.

Research excercises that help with Thoracic, Lumbar Spine stretching. Also research excercises that are related to hip mobility.
    He speaks the truth.

So does he:

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Vlad Tepes View Post
    I'm not your doctor, and this isn't formal medical advice but my opinion is this.

I strongly suggest you go see a doctor. Explain your situation and it is likely you'll get a reduced fee. Even if no imaging (xrays), or advanced imaging (e.g. MRI) are done, the doctor can do a physical exam and at least make sure that you don't have any neurological deficits that may indicate a more serious problem.

If you do get any sort of neurological deficits including numbness, muscle weakness (esp. a floppy foot/foot slap/foot drop/inability to walk on your heels or toes, etc.), or developing urinary retention, constipation, etc. you need to be seen ASAP.

If you develop acute urinary retention/incontinence, or bowel incontinence, +/- intractable severe back or leg pain, you need to go to the E.R. to be assessed, as this may be a very serious developing surgical emergency.

Good Luck.
    I have two kaput discs and as I had some medical training I had access to free experts, physically you need to proceed with caution and get an up close and personal opinion.
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 08-02-10 at 20:18.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Some of the symptoms you mention sound suspiciously like a kidney stone as well.

That spot you mention is right where they can hurt. But like someone mentioned you would probably have at least some urinary symptom as well. Darker, difficulty, that sort of thing. But they can linger and move. They can go from an uncomfortable ache to a serious pain.

When you say long story short, did you have any chills or nausea. Any pulsating pain like someone cranking a light dimmer?

Exercise can break those things loose.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Negative.

I assumed i had a kidney stone at first too considering my genetic line tends to produce stones like they're going out of style.

Im in the process of dealing with a Gallbladder full of marbles (another nightmare) so i wouldnt put it past my body to be producing kidney stones as well.

Honestly though, im thinking this one was a pulled muscle (or something else) considering i had no urinary issues whatsoever and ive spent the past two weeks watching my urine VERY closely.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast