Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leatherman Wave alternatives

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    My Charge TTi has a stainless finish despite the handles looking black in the pics I've seen...I'm not sure if there're different options or what the deal is.

I thought they may have sent me the wrong tool.But it has Charge TTi right on the handle and it has all of the features that it should.Bought new from Amazon(directly) and it certainly doesn't appear to be a knock-off.

Excellent tool.
    There's two versions of the Charge. The AL which has aluminum handles, and the the Charge TTi which has titanium handles.

Anyway back to what Rob has been asking about. I've found this to be very helpful in looking up multi-tools before I buy them.
    http://www.multitool.org/

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox20 View Post
    There's two versions of the Charge. The AL which has aluminum handles, and the the Charge TTi which has titanium handles...
    I'm aware.

By "stainless" I meant the look of the finish(not the material used).By "options" I meant specific to the TTi itself and its grip.

Most of the places where I've seen the TTi being sold online had it pictured with a black grip.Perhaps they're using a stock photo of the AL/ALX when advertising the TTi?...Assuming they have the black grips.

The TTi may still have more of a matte finish/look than the Wave.It appears to in the most pics...But it's not black(as typically advertised).
    Last edited by Jerm; 08-05-10 at 00:31.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Stick with the Wave. I have 2. One goes everywhere with me. Has come in handy alot.

Feedback Score
    I agree, I hate to say it, I like the higher-end Gerbers, but their multi-tools are junk. My father-in-law chipped the phillips head edges off of his changing a door bell switch on the front porch of his house. I would not have believed it if I had not been standing right there. Talk about crappy. I guess thats why Gerbers are light compared to Leathermans, I have a wave and a Super tool 200 in Black, which the Black scratches up real easy. The wave is much more comfortable to use and doesn't have the edges to dig in your hands when using the pliers. If you look at a Costco Club store they have the Leathermans with a flashlight or another Leatherman folder in a gift set for $40-$50 bucks. Not bad if you just need a decent multi-tool.

Feedback Score
    Have you looked at the Swisstool? A few months ago I decided to buy my first MT, and after looking around at things I went with the Swisstool.

Charge TTi has the S30V blade which is a huge advantage, but if you're like me and already carry an edc blade, I don't think it will matter.

Feedback Score
    Being the SOG fanboy that I am I own two of their multi-tool offerings. One of the old PowerPliers that I got back in 96-97 and a PowerAssist EOD that I have had for a year or so. Both have proven strong and customer service has been good(broke the pliers on the PP doing something stupid). I really like the assisted blade opening on the PA without having to open the handles. I also like the ability for the user to configure the tool as he/she needs(I swapped some stuff in my PA).
    FWIW I do own an older Gerber OTF multi tool, but I still like my SOGs better for some reason.

I don't know if other companies tools can do the same things, but I thought I would share a few small thoughts on my SOGs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    I'm aware.

By "stainless" I meant the look of the finish(not the material used).By "options" I meant specific to the TTi itself and its grip.

Most of the places where I've seen the TTi being sold online had it pictured with a black grip.Perhaps they're using a stock photo of the AL/ALX when advertising the TTi?...Assuming they have the black grips.

The TTi may still have more of a matte finish/look than the Wave.It appears to in the most pics...But it's not black(as typically advertised).
    Sorry misread you're original post. Dyslexia strikes again, oh well not the first and it won't be the last time.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    No worries.

Geat link BTW...I think I've used the site before but lost track of it somewhere along the way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    Take a look at s.o.g.'s offerings. The paratool and the power assist have really caught my eye. Both seem like they'd be pretty versatile and quite useful.
    SOG multitool didn't hold up long for me.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I bought a Leatherman Core the day I graduated basic in 2007 and it's served me well ever since. I carried it every day and it seemed almost designed around me for how handy it was, the pliers are more needle-nose than Gerbers and the screwdrivers are of a convenient size too. We hated the issue Gerbers, all of mine sat unused in a drawer for the whole deployment.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123