Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1967 M16A1 fixed stock Carbine (M2 Carbine evolution?)…

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

1967 M16A1 fixed stock Carbine (M2 Carbine evolution?)…

In 1966 The Aberdeen Proving Ground had looked at 11.5” barrel version of the new (1967 release) M16A1 rifle. WWII and Korea had the select-fire, fixed stock M2 Carbine. What would a late 1960’s version look like? Maybe this…
    Cope’s Dist. had Colt M16A1 upper receivers for sale for $129, I found the shorty triangle front handguards/front cap for $30 at a local gun show, and I live 4 miles from American Spirit Arms (A Good Arizona Company!). I had them put one of their 11.5” barrels on and I ended up with a resto-retro carbine upper. It runs like a steam locomotive, is light (exactly 6 lbs empty), handy, and FUN. It’s the M16 Carbine that could/should have been. BTW, I took the Colt receiver into ASA at 9:30 am and I had it back in my hands in ONE HOUR! Thanks ASA.
    Last edited by TriggerFish; 07-29-10 at 14:56.

Feedback Score
    reguardless for it being a replica of anything real or not, I like it. I ran a full stock on my carbine for years.

Feedback Score
    You fans of fixed stock A1 Carbines (and I'm one of 'em) will want to pick up a copy of
    "Platoon Leader" set in 1970-71 'Nam. The A1 stock is a terrific addition to any Carbine
    and I use 'em on a lot of my "modern" stuff as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Pretty sharp. Nice work. I like it!

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post
    In 1966 The Aberdeen Proving Ground had looked at 11.5” barrel version of the new (1967 release) M16A1 rifle. WWII and Korea had the select-fire, fixed stock M2 Carbine. What would a late 1960’s version look like? Maybe this…
    Cope’s Dist. had Colt M16A1 upper receivers for sale for $129, I found the shorty triangle front handguards/front cap for $30 at a local gun show, and I live 4 miles from American Spirit Arms (A Good Arizona Company!). I had them put one of their 11.5” barrels on and I ended up with a resto-retro carbine upper. It runs like a steam locomotive, is light (exactly 6 lbs empty), handy, and FUN. It’s the M16 Carbine that could/should have been. BTW, I took the Colt receiver into ASA at 9:30 am and I had it back in my hands in ONE HOUR! Thanks ASA.
    Looks awesome. How much was the bbl? I need one for an A1 upper I have.

Found the bbl it is $175 but 1/9 twist and sounds like the description of a BM bbl set just by what is included.

Again awesome looking rifle. Nodak has some triangle handguards in mid length which has me thinking that might be the route I go.

I ran an A2 stock on my first M4 for years, I hated the old CAR stock. The current choices are so much better.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 12-30-10 at 21:56. Reason: found bbl pricing
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    very nice !! looks good.

peabody
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Colt's Model 651 and 652 carbines had fixed stocks and 14.5" carbine barrels.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Triggerfish:

What type of buttstock do you have on that bad boy? Is it an A1 with a fixed "swivel"/sling adapter (like the A2), or something else?
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I always liked shooting the standard M16A1 stock with a M16A1 carbine upper on it. The shorter A1 fixed stock shouldered fast like the Car15 collapsible stock, but the larger buffer always smoothed the action out on full auto.

I had access to one for awhile in Manila during the mid 1980's when I worked for the US Navy. Mine came by the way of the Philippine Military. It was made by Elisco Tool, but the 14.5" barrel had Colt markings. It was definitely slick! The longer fixed stock was no problem getting into and out of the cars........When off duty it went into a Black Assault Systems bag with two spare 30 round mags and a rare (at the time) Beta CMAG.

Feedback Score
    Ditto on that. The A1 stock is a great way to go, particualry like the OP's weapon with a 11.5" barrel. Sure helped(s) them run better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast