Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Still a role for the shotgun?

Feedback Score
    I believe your pros and cons are accurate. I was issued my first 870 police model with wood furniture and a bead sight in 1986. As a patrol deputy back in the stone age, that was the only long gun we had available to us. Multiple wound channels at a specific range of distance, dispatching a charging vicious dog, or searching for a suspect in an area with heavy brush, being able to transition to different types of ammo---I think the shotgun had the edge. But those are very limited circumstances.

I am a CA POST certified instructor for handgun, shotgun and patrol rifle and these days I have been relegated to full time rangemaster. I mention that only to say I have some perspective regarding limited time, resources and a limited desire to train by some officers. I continue to get training on my own dime from reputable instructors several times per year on shotgun and AR. I personally enjoy shooting the shotgun more. Maybe because I am more familiar with it and maybe for some sentimental reasons.

With all that said, the reality for L.E. instructors, I believe, is shotgun training is an uphill battle. Fewer young officers have any exposure to weapons growing up. For them, the shotgun is not something they are familiar with, and many do not give it a fair chance.

I have an 870P and a Colt 6920. My humble opinion is all officers should be proficient with and have both a patrol rifle and shotgun at their disposal. But sadly in L.E. the number of shotguns being deployed will become very limited in the next 10 years I am afraid.

What the shotgun does well, it does very well. Forced to make a choice...I'll take a patrol rifle.
    Last edited by terrymo; 07-29-10 at 12:28.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

OP, also go and read up in the ballistic forum about what the good Doctor has to say about the matter.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 07-29-10 at 15:15.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I can think of a limited number of roles for a shotgun
    -Breacher
    -Taking winged game (or general hunting if a rifle isn't allowed, like my state)
    -Competition
    -HD if on a limited budget and/or living in a state where something better is regulated and/or illegal
    -LTL use

ETA:
    -Guarding captives
    Last edited by Dave_M; 07-29-10 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

Here is another angle. . .

If I was indigent and could not afford much in the way of firearms I would purchase an inexpensive 12 gauge pump built by a reputable manufacture from a pawn broker. Multiple barrels lengths, chokes, and loads for everything under the sun are available.

I also like to think that shotguns like the AA-12 is bringing the scatter gun into the 21st century, much like the side by side coach guns did for the 19th century. Not much can resist 20 rounds of full-auto 12 guage.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For professional use I would rather have the carbine but if all I could afford was a $300 gun then an 870 or 500/590 would do the trick. The shotgun is easy to learn and very simple to run/keep running.

Shotguns seems to get more crap put on it than any other gun I have seen. Taking a $300 shotgun and adding $500 worth of accessories does not make one a better shooter. I always recommend buying a shotgun, putting a sling on it, then spend some money on training before lugging the gun down with a bunch of stuff.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good accessories out there for a shotgun but there is an equal amount of dead weight that can be added as well.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Shotguns seems to get more crap put on it than any other gun I have seen.
    My observations don't agree with this. The AR is by far the most accessorized firearm I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Taking a $300 shotgun and adding $500 worth of accessories does not make one a better shooter.
    The same can be said of any firearm.

Feedback Score
    well we still use them. all solo officers have them in thier squad cars. our ESU (swat) will use for perp searches in say a wooded area or backyard search. the shotgun will be around in the NYPD for quite some time.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Does the SG have a role? I think so, but not as much as it once did. There is also a difference between .MIL, LE and Civy use. Since I am a civy, I will speak to only that.

For HD, the SG is a devastating tool for sure, but there are some concerns. The biggest one is over penetration. If you are using 00 BUCK, and have people in other rooms or neighbors close by, I would be very concerned about letting just one BB get out. The SG also struggles with hostage situations and or the need to pin point accuracy. We have also seen where pump shotguns get short stroked in relatively low stress, shoot house environments. Which leads me to the opinion that the only SG worth owning for HD is an auto loader and of those, the brand needs to start with the letter "B."

For me personally, the SG sits squarely behind the AR and Pistol for HD usage.

For those of you that are going to grab a SG for a bad situation, I would STRONGLY suggest taking a SG class (taught by a NONE quality instructor) and THEN log some time in a shoot house with one. I think many of you will most likely change your mind about using a SG for defensive purposes.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 07-31-10 at 07:48.

Feedback Score
    If you are L.E. or MIL the best kept secret in shotgun instruction or shotgun instructor certification is Bill Jeans (formerly with Gunsite) who owns Morrigan Consulting. His mantra is "I am not here to teach you to shoot a shotgun, I am here to teach you to fight with a shotgun" With both military and L.E. experience and many years of being an instructor he is the real deal.

Feedback Score
    I have seen all the posts in this thread.

I would like to know what formal training the group has and from who.
    WWW.SUPERIORFIREARMSLLC.COM
    10111 Production Court
    Louisville ky. 40299
    502-365-2244

Former VSM Regional Endorsed Instructor

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast