Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Your "general purpose" rifle setup

Feedback Score
    CMMG M4
    SpikesTactical Nickel Boron BCG
    BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle
    Magpul MOE Stock, Grip and Vertical Grip and MS-2 sling.
    Yankee Hill Forearm
    Yankee Hill Brake/Comp. (coming monday)
    Leapers LW Bipod (may end up removing)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevlarSniper View Post
    The Henry U.S. Survival rifle is ultra-lightweight, weighing in at a scant 2.5 pounds. The unique design allows the rifle to break down easily into three pieces in seconds. This enables the barrel, action and two 8-round magazines to fit comfortably into the tough ABS synthetic waterproof stock. No tools are needed to assemble or disassemble. Once disassembled and stowed, it is only an incredible 16 inches long. Carry it in your backpack with room to spare.
    To assemble, simply attach the receiver to the stock, insert the barrel, screw on the barrel nut and you’re ready to fire. In seconds, you’ll have the security of a semi-automatic rifle without the bulk and weight of a full size firearm
    Attachment 5879
    Seems like an excelent tool for gathering the meal of the day. For self defense I think the ultimate "all purpose rifle" would be an SR-25 EMC. I can hunt larger game with the round if needed to and cover a prety long range. of course I dont have this rifle yet, so I would storm out with what I have now, a 6920 and make the wife carry the MWS

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    here is mine assembled from all daniel defense parts

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My go to rifle, BCM 16'' midlength, Larue 9.0 rail, Aimpoint ML3 in LT-150 and Troy buis.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Old school 20" A1.
    Honestly, it is hard to argue with this. Once all the kinks were worked out of the original AR15, the M16A1 has soldiered on in some pretty bad places for over 40 years. In the jungles of SE Asia and South America warlords are still using old stocks of these rifles left over from little wars fought in the 70's and 80's.

If you just had to grab it and go it might be just the thing. You can fix a bayonet to discourage people from just grabbing it out of your hands. If you know what to do with a bayonet, it is a viable secondary weapon.

If you are traveling super-light you will find ready supplies of 55gr ammo most anywhere. Try to go to WalMart and find anything other than some basic 55gr ammo. Whenever I go into a chain store that sells ammo I check what they keep in stock. Most places only stock 45 grain SP 'varmint' loads and 55gr FMJ and hunting soft points.

You can clean and lube it with little more than WD40 and 3-in-1 Oil.

The rear sight is damn near bullet proof - far more rugged than the A2 sight.

A few upgrades might be in order if you want to go this route:

Replace the round front sight post with the square A2 Front sight post. It is one of the few really useful improvements on the A2.

Bad things happen at night. If you are using iron sights you may want to look seriously at some tritium sights. Some people don't like them because the 'other guy' can also sometimes see them like when you are on the move.

You need a light. Back in the old days, every GI was trying to strap a light to the front of their rifle - 100MPH tape, Ranger bands, hose clamps, you name it. Now we have better options. If you are building this gun, the Alexander Arms MK10 Plus and JP Enterprise Modular hand guards are great choices. They are much stronger than the stock A1 foregrip and will give you great mounting options. They will also give you a better grip on the rifle if you have to fight hand-to-hand with it. However, they both require removal of the bbl. If you don't want to spend that kind of money or you don't want to remove your bbl, the Magpul Rifle Length MOE is a good bet.

For survival, look for a AA flashlight. 123N batteries are simply not that common. Orlite, Nitecore and Fenix all make AA LED lights. Make sure you get the tactical model that is the most water resistant.

The A1 stock could use some beefing up. I would replace it with one of the ACE Ltd stocks. You may want to think about a collapsible stock. They are useful in close quarters like buildings or vehicles, or if you have to wear body armor or heavy clothes.

Personally, I like optics. On this sort of rifle you would be well served by a Trijicon RX type with the triangle or chevron reticule. The apex of the triangle can be used for accurate aimed fire, while still giving you a large 14 MOA reticule for moving targets and CQC. Whatever optic you use, the goose neck type mounts are the way to go. I would avoid mounting an optic on top of the caring handle.

One thing to think about - even in a war zone, weapons are carried far more than they are fired. Weapons need to be handy, easily carried for long periods of time, and easy to put into action quickly. The needs of a civilian surviving in the wild may be different from the needs of a Tier 1 Door Kicker. The average user in a survival situation will most likely operate more like your traditional Rifleman. Lots of walking, patrolling, foraging/scavenging. Sneak and peek. Don't look like a threat, and don't look like a victim. You might need a good rucksack and LBE more than you need that Paraclete RAV.

Feedback Score
    Stag Model 2, Troy rail, Bobro VFG, Surefire 6P LED in VLTOR scout mount, Aimpoint ML2/Larue LT150 combo, and DD 1.5 fixed BUIS. My go bag with 6 extra magazines, Glock 17 with 4 mags, and 200 rounds in bandoleers on stripper clips. I really have to resist the urge to pack tons of ammo, it gets very heavy.

Feedback Score
    Currently LMT 10.5" upper/lower with Larue 7" rail, Eotech 553 , Surefire M900, Troy BUIS , KAC suppressor.

Considering switching to my LMT MWS 308 with Aimpoint M4, AFG, Surefire M952 LED.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This my go to rifle. It is used mostly for home defense and range use. I'm sure it will serve well as a adequate SHTF weapon as well.

American by birth, southern by the grace of American Van Lines

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/z...l_launcher.gif

Feedback Score
    my gp rifle is my only ar. rra lower w/2-stage trigger. 4pos stock. bcm middy upper with 1/7 twist. bcm auto bcg, bcm gunfighter ch w/med latch. yhm free float handguard, vltor gasblock w/flip up sight. bcm flip up rear sight. primary arms 1-4scope w/extended mount. i feel confident w/this set up for most everything except big/dangerous game.

here's a crappy pic

Last edited by iammrbill; 12-14-10 at 19:01.

Feedback Score
    my current go to rifle is a standard stag 16" carbine with a Millett DMS scope in a burris mount from swfa. i keep a pmag in it and will be getting an Eagle patrol bandoleer for it soon. it will be backed up with my Glock 17.

my wife has an identical setup but her rifle is currently a cheap parts gun i put together on a M&P lower, DPMS lpk, and a bushmaster upper with a PA m3 clone and another Glock 17.

both still need a light of some sort.

am debating a SBR or possibly another M14 build with a LRB M25 tanker type setup in a McMillan MFS-14 folding stock.
    Last edited by broylz; 12-14-10 at 20:39.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast