Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt action "trunk gun" (practical rifle) project

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Bolt action "trunk gun" (practical rifle) project

I've been considering building a "trunk gun" (or walking rifle) for several years. The goal is a lightweight carbine in .308 with a 1-4x scope that is suitable for hunting and personal defense out to about 200 yards. Something that is the antithesis of a tactical rifle - skinny barrel, low magnification optics, a sling and light weight. Accuracy requirements are pretty basic - if I can consistently hold it to 2 MOA I'm happy.

I was planning on building off a Tikka T3 lite in .308 but the budget never came along; the idea has been percolating away in the meantime. I originally started out planning a true Scout build, but as time has passed I've decided I'd be better served with something similar but not strictly a Scout.

I recently discovered Savage's inexpensive line of Stevens rifles. I was surprised to find a Stevens 200 in .308 would only set me back about $300 out the door on sale. I did a bit of research on the model; it's basically a pre-Accutrigger Savage 10 and it has a very good reputation. I actually prefer the blind magazine over a detachable box; a hinged baseplate would be even better, but I'll live. I do like the three position safety for a field gun and the factory trigger has a reputation for being very tunable.

I'm planning for a low power variable such as a Leupold VX-II 1-4x, a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x or a Nikon Monarch African 1-4x. I might get lucky and find a used AccuPoint 1-4x or 1.25-4x that's affordable. Something illuminated would be nice to have.

I'm also strongly considering having the 22" barrel taken down to 18" and having the barreled action Duracoted or parked.

I should have the rifle home within a few weeks; I'll try and document how the project goes. I wasn't planning on building this one right now so a lot of decisions remain to be made!
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-21-10 at 20:37. Reason: Title ediu
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why .308? Best non-tactical "walking around" rifle I ever had was a Marlin 30-30 Lever Action.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very cool idea. I have been toying with a similar idea for a while now. I came to the same conclusion about .308, seems to have the right mix of availability, ammo selection, and ballistic characteristics for the low cost "do every thing well" but nothing great bolt action.

Look forward to your updates.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    Why .308? Best non-tactical "walking around" rifle I ever had was a Marlin 30-30 Lever Action.
    I've thought about this as well. More of a trunk gun than a scout gun. I often thought that, with enough top rail space, a .30-30 with an H1 and magnifier would be a good all purpose gun.
    Also pretty innocuous.

But if the OP is going for a true Scout Gun in Cooper's image, then I think .308 is the way to go, both for ammo effectiveness and availability. Heavy Duty: would you consider a 2-10 scope, to get the most out of the .308's range?
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    Commonality with my other .308s. I'm trying to minimize the variety of chamberings; this would be able to eat everything from quality commercial hunting ammunition to milsurp Port 7.62.

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    I've thought about this as well. More of a trunk gun than a scout gun. I often thought that, with enough top rail space, a .30-30 with an H1 and magnifier would be a good all purpose gun.
    Also pretty innocuous.

But if the OP is going for a true Scout Gun in Cooper's image, then I think .308 is the way to go, both for ammo effectiveness and availability. Heavy Duty: would you consider a 2-10 scope, to get the most out of the .308's range?
    I'm really not trying to make this a Scout; I gave it a lot of consideration but decided it wasn't what I want. I'm looking more for a lightweight optics-only carbine. 2-10x is a bit more than I'd want to go, as I mentioned I'm really only interested in regularly reaching out to 200M. Beyond that the 700 comes out.

I've toyed with the idea of a 336 with an XS Scout mount and a red dot, but we're back to that commonality of chambering issue. I have nothing else in 30-30 nor am I likely to ever have any.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by epf View Post
    Very cool idea. I have been toying with a similar idea for a while now. I came to the same conclusion about .308, seems to have the right mix of availability, ammo selection, and ballistic characteristics for the low cost "do every thing well" but nothing great bolt action.

Look forward to your updates.
    Updates may be a little slow, budget dependent.

What direction were you thinking of going with your build? I always like hearing other people's ideas... so I can steal the ones I like.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you're going .308 look at the Burris 1.5-6X XTR. The reticle is set for .308, that might work for you. I like my 1-4X XTR.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks for the tip on the Burris, I'll check it out!
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Randy Cain has been teaching a "Practical Rifle" course and advocating a platform like you describe for years. I am hoping to take the course with a borrowed rifle within the next 12 months before building my own.

His concept, distilled down, is Cooper's Scout rifle with a conventional low-powered scope mounted in the traditional spot instead of forward like the scout scope.

Feedback Score
    Are we looking for ideas from which to start?

1) Ruger Frontier is readily available and will, without modification, lock in a 10-round M1A magazine. (It won't be detachable but it will hold 10-rounds.

2) Ishapore 2A1. Has no collectors valuable and grew up unloved and ugly. Also has a 10 or 12-round magazine, can be fed by stripper clips and is in 7.62x51. I have one that is cut down to 'jungle gun' length, bedded in a synthetic stock, wears an XSsightSystems scout scope mount and an FAL flash-hider because you never really know when you might want to mount a bayonet on a 16-inch long barrel.

3) M1903-A3, but only if it's already lost it's collector's value. I saw one recently that had been chopped and channeled, wearing a SMLE flash hider and a 16.5-barrel.

4) Savage/Stevens. As you mentioned they are inexpensive, conveniently chambered, and rugged. Somewhere online there is someone who will mount the feedlips for a stripper on it.
    [edit:] Shawn's tactical truck gun

Fun Stuff -
    http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
    XSsightsystems scout scope mount
    Last edited by 4thPointOfContact; 08-01-10 at 14:29.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast