Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt action "trunk gun" (practical rifle) project

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Rob, I have to admit "Practical Rifle" sound more elegant than "Trunk Gun"!
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I put one together. Ruger Youth M77 youth model, .308 Win, 16" barrel w/ short LOP. Had the barrel threaded and a GI flash hider added. Added a rail segment for a light, Eagle stock pouch. Optic right now is a Leupold M8 4x.

Very light, very handy. Well within your accuracy standard with best loads.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Im doing the same thing.

FN SPR action 20" factory
    Manners MCST stock
    I was thinking one of the new 1-4 VORTEX scopes

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I read the opening post and immediately thought "Marlin lever action in a Trapper configuration," and coincidentally enough, that did show up as the thread progressed.

I've seen some incredible things done with a Model 1895 or 336 (full-length rail, lights ...), and while I'm still weighing the caliber question -- .45/70 or .30-30 -- the concept really appeals to me. Lever guns don't even raise an eyebrow where a Black Gun would result in all kinds of unwanted attention, and their simplicity and ready parts/ammo availability is also a real benefit.

Ammunition is expensive, of course, and speed reloading isn't exactly a strength, but if you're looking at bolt guns, then I have to surmise that you're willing to make a few compromises to achieve a larger goal. For me, that will almost cetainly be addressed by a lever gun.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The lever gun has some attractive attributes, but it also has some limitations. Operating the action from prone at speed can be an issue, for example. Also if one is looking for the potential to add a can the lever can be limiting.

Remington 7523, from what I can tell, is the ideal but unfortunately they don't make it anymore and appear not to have made them for several years. 6.75 lbs unloaded and un-scoped is an attractive attribute for a 20" bolt-action in .308 and would go down even further if cut to 18".

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The lever gun has some attractive attributes, but it also has some limitations. Operating the action from prone at speed can be an issue, for example. Also if one is looking for the potential to add a can the lever can be limiting.
    I'll split the difference with you, Rob. Like you, I don't see the lever gun as a good candidate for supression (though I'm not sure that would really be of much concern for my purposes), but I find the prone firing issue to be something of a Red Herring. In reality, this is no more challenging than operating an AR with a standard 30-round magazine, and even the simplest of techniques readily mitigate the problem.

Low magazine capacity is really a much bigger issue in my view, though again, I'm not looking at a "walking gun" as a replacement for the AR; merely something to provide response options in places where the AR can not, or should not, go.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I spent a year give or take screwing around with the lever action and never found a good technique from prone that I could reliably operate the lever. It's the operation of the lever that I never could get anywhere near as smooth as the bolt-action. Maybe I was just never shown the "right" way to do it.

I don't get the comparison to the AR since the AR is cycling itself and there is no manual cycling of the action. If I need to get down super low with the AR I simply rotate the magazine ouboard and fire as many rounds as I need to without a change in position.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don't get the comparison to the AR since the AR is cycling itself and there is no manual cycling of the action. If I need to get down super low with the AR I simply rotate the magazine ouboard and fire as many rounds as I need to without a change in position.
    I'm replying on an iPhone, so in brief, you're entirely correct about the action/cycling component here (i.e. versus the AR). I was more referring to the issues attendant with dealing with the compressed workspace/proximity to the ground. Lever gun manipulation in that setting does require one to roll the rifle and/or lift an elbow, though again, I don't really have standard courses of fire in mind here ... more like a snap-firing solution while out on the trail or somesuch when faced with an unanticipated threat.

AC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks to cowboy action shooting, there are several gunsmiths that specialize in slicking up lever actions, which could include the installation of an optional short stroke kit. Might be worth investigating.

Here's an example: http://www.pioneergunworks.com/page4.html
    Last edited by rljatl; 08-01-10 at 12:35.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    There's a lot more interest in this class of rifle here than I would have expected!

As I mentioned I'm committed to building this one on a bolt gun and the Stevens is already in the process of being purchased. I'm not ruling out a lever gun for a future project, but I'm really trying to avoid additional chamberings in the house.

The optic is proving to be an interesting research project. I'm trying to determine the eyebox for the scopes I listed above, I want something forgiving; I suspect the Nikon African will get the nod based on overall performance and price. I did find discussion on the new Leatherwood CMR, but I'm a little concerned the quality wouldn't be in the same range as a Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-II which are the minimum quality I'd consider for a serious rifle. The illuminated reticle would be nice, though...
    Ken in Texas

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast