Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Bolt action "trunk gun" (practical rifle) project

Feedback Score
    I had forgotten about this thread quite some time ago and in the mean time built a little handy carbine myself. Shooting lefty there usually aren't a lot of factory options that fit just right. I took the opportunity to make myself one. This started as a plain Jane Savage model 11Gl in .243. I obtained a factory takeoff detachable box mag stock and converted it to lefty and cut down the length of pull, relocated the swivel studs, ground down the pad and bedded it. I Tuned the trigger and made a lighter trigger spring and a bolt lift kit. Found a takeoff .308 sporter barrel and had it cut down to 16" threaded and braked. I went ahead and installed some Weaver rings and bases and a 3-9x vortex viper I had laying around. Light weight and handy it's just 37" overall.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 04-07-13 at 23:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Great to hear. I hope you share some photos when you get your gun. I'd be interested in the different stock, anyone know what it is?

Thanks.
    I tried a couple pics at the range with the phone but a better rendition would be any file photo of the Hog Gun.

I only had so much time and so much .308 so it was brief to zero the irons at 100 yds. Old (55 eye) makes irons last ditch but as irons go I kinda liked them. Bottom line the gun functioned fine and the trigger (Accutrigger) is great. I'd estimate it about 3.5 lbs or so. Not as crisp breaking as my Geieselle SD-C but felt lighter in total wt.

I have not decided on a scope yet so it was just rough zero at 100 and then keeping shots in the thorax of a siloutte target at 200. That was fun. I've never had a scope higher power than 6x and I'm thinking about the budget Vortex 2.5-10x.

The sights are pretty tall; I have read it's to clear a can so I'll have to take care with mounts and scope not to hang up on the tall rear.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Sounds like some good shooting. Thanks for the update.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920