Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt action "trunk gun" (practical rifle) project

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lever action rifles have always held my fascination. Maybe it comes from watching B&W western movies on TV as a kid (dating myself). For those fixated on military arms, the lever action was initially a cavalry rifle, then a carbine and has seen combat with American forces as recently as the last century (Spanish-American War).

Feedback Score
    Like a few others, I too have a lever-gun. In my case a post-64 Model 94 AE. That horrid crossbolt safety's been removed and all the wood painted tacticool black. I went with a scout scope mount that replaced the normal rear sight halfway down the barrel. The original maker was WildWestGuns but XSSightsystems has a similar setup. My only real complain with a lever action is that my fingers must be the wrong shape as I'm always jamming a fingernail against the receiver when I throw a round through the loading gate.
    Last edited by 4thPointOfContact; 08-01-10 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Man, you lever gun guys need to go get a room.

Someone suggested I might want to look at a shotgun version of a 1-4x for this rifle. They seem to generally have 75 yard parallax, so I suspect they could be a better match for a point-blank-to-200-yard rifle like I'm trying to build. Can anyone comment?
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The lever gun topic really is another thread -- I apologize for contributing to the hijack.

In my case, a lot of this was recently brought back into the forefront with a trip to Superior Firearms, as one of the owners has a particular penchant -- and talent -- for turning these guns into low-profile 16" "almost tactical" masterpieces.

I really don't have a lot to add, but for those who might wish to explore the lever gun topic further, I suspect that would best be done elsewhere.

Thanks for your patience to this point, HeavyDuty. We now return you to your bolt gun thread, already in progress. =]

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Man, you lever gun guys need to go get a room.

Someone suggested I might want to look at a shotgun version of a 1-4x for this rifle. They seem to generally have 75 yard parallax, so I suspect they could be a better match for a point-blank-to-200-yard rifle like I'm trying to build. Can anyone comment?
    The 'scout scope' on my pseudo-scout is a turkey scope. (Purchesed over 10 years ago when more modern stuff hadn't been invented.) According to the elevation cap, it's a Simmon's brand 3x28 LED w/illuminated reticle. Yes, it's inexpensive and no, it's not nearly mil-spec; but I'm not in the business where I might have to shoot people every day either.

Edit: errp.. not a 1x4. I've got a 1.75-4x, .... somewhere ... just not mounted on anything.
    Last edited by 4thPointOfContact; 08-01-10 at 19:48.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    All in jest, Army Chief - I certainly appreciate the leverguns, and that pic is almost exactly how I would build one up. I was looking at doing an 336XLR cut to 16" (or was it 18"? - flush with the 5 round magazine in any case) with an XS Scout Rail, synthetic furniture and a red dot.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    How about a K98 with a T-1 Micro?
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    I'd like to scope my FR8, but there's really no where to put one

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive always thought a Milsurp chambered in .308 would make the ultimate trunk gun. Good common chambering in a simpe rifle that will last for decades of hard use. Also have good tough irons as well.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    How about a K98 with a T-1 Micro?
    That's essentially the direction I went, albeit with a G.33/40 version ... though I added S&B glass and paid a king's ransom for the sporting conversion, so it is anything but a trunk gun.

Does a very nice job on big boar, though.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast